Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do women that get beat up by their boyfriends still stay with the bastard?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this girl i know told me that when the boyfriend gets angry, he would hit her and throw her around. i asked her why the love shes still with the asshole, and she said she loves him. what the fuck? how daft is that? now i know some women try to push their man to see how far they can go, but i would never hit the girl. id walk away before i get to that point.

i would shake her to bits though.

Comments

• Options
    Such behaviour is usually thought to stem from the person's early experience with forming relationships, especially with their parents. If their parents were distant to them, they will tend to consider this to be a normal state of affairs in later relationships. Conversely they will feel confused if they are treated well because they are not used to the feeling or the state of affairs.

In extreme cases this can lead to partners staying in abusive relationships such as you mention here. The person must want to break this cycle and then the most likely route is some sort of therapy to confront the childhood experiences...
  • Options
    And sometimes the bloke is that violent that the women are scared to leave as he threatens them and their family with even more violence if they leave? It's a vicious cycle, one that i have sympathy for anyone in because i sure as hell wouldn't want to be in it.
  • Options
    Hey its not always that easy to walk away,lots of reasons can hold you in a relationship like that including fear,being trapped and controlled by money and also purely because you love that person. Im 34 and spent 4 and a half years with a man who used domestic violence against me for the last year and a half of our relationship,yes i look back now and wonder why i put up with it but at the time i had spent 3 years with this lovely man who i loved very much,after a 3 month break we got back together and things went from bad to worse very quickly.I spent the the rest of our relationship in fear,living in silence and being controlled by money,my turning point was telling somebody what was going on and realizing that what he was doing was wrong and that i deserved better! Yes you are right some women do push their partners but this wasnt the case with me,i had never expierienced this behaviour in a relationship and never have since! Consequently i left my home for 6 months to get away from him,involving police and friends for support,i am now in a wonderful relationship with a wonderful man and engaged to be married.
    Theres always help out there for anyone in this situation,dont be a victim. :angel:
  • Options
    I knew a woman in one of these relationships and she told me -

"Because it shows he cares"

Basically she would hit for a reaction, he would explode and then they would fuck like rabbits and make up for a few weeks. Horrible cycle of behaviour and I am glad she got out before it all went truly sour. I know for a fact that she still misses the highs of the relationship, but isn't willing to pay for them with the lows anymore.

Oh, and props to Moonglitter.
  • Options
    The vast majority of women suffering from domestic violence don't want to be without their partner. Most just want the violence to stop. There is such a classic cycle of abuse, as klintock has pointed out... one of violence followed by a 'honeymoon' period... this can persuade many women to stay.
  • Options
    i guess 'cause they love them, or think that they can change them. also perhaps they're scared of leaving them. some people probably think it's 'normal' behaviour.
  • Options
    Cos they (i) love him and no one is perfect

:wave:
  • Options
    Cos they (i) love him and no one is perfect

You're right, nobody is perfect. But those who physically abuse other people are complete nobheads.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    You're right, nobody is perfect. But those who physically abuse other people are complete nobheads.

hows emotionally hurting someone differnt from physically hurting them?? both hurt like hell, both are deliberate...... most people just love them inspite of it, im sure he loves me inspite of things... i dont know :(

• Options
    i pity the fool.

why should you swallow the shit thats being served to you? you have the capability to improve the quality of life. have some respect for yourself, woman.
  • Options
    They typically view there as being no other option. That all they can do is be with him and they have to do anything in there power to remain w/ them regardless as to anything. Either that or they depend on him for money,protection or the mystic of family life is so important they would do anything to maintain it. I would never stay if someone hit me out of anger, just not worth it
  • Options
    hows emotionally hurting someone differnt from physically hurting them?? both hurt like hell, both are deliberate...... most people just love them inspite of it, im sure he loves me inspite of things... i dont know :(

This is just my personal opinion but when someone continues to deliberately harm their partner (male or female), that's not love. And deliberately emotionally hurting someone is no better than a slap. But that's just what I think.
  • Options

I didn't say anything about emotionally abuse because that isn't what this topic about. Physical abuse is both physical and emotional. He doesn't love you.

:wave: :wave: :wave:
  • Options
    theyre afraid, and seem convinced that they'll change and that they love them - but they never do.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    He doesn't love you.

Oh my mistake i didnt know you knew us personally! everyones situation is different and this is one i choose to live with, and before you all judge what you dont know, he's hit me 3 times in a year long relationship to me thats not a lot, dont get me wrong i think its wrong and i havent completely forgiven him but i do love him
  • Options
    Oh my mistake

Everyone makes mistakes, don't worry about it.
  • Options
    I wont :yeees:

Sorry i guess im a little sensitive bout the whole thing :chin: probably trying to tell myself something huh? well im sorry when i read that back it was bitchy, :blush: i shoulnt have taken that out on you!

• Options
    I guess its the old saying love is blind.

I lashed out at an ex partener a few times and I'm not proud of it, yet I did love them and hated the effect it had and beat myself up for ages over this.

Ive since come to realise there were a lot of issues there and Ive never repeated it but its no excuse for what I did.

Phoenix
  • Options
    Oh my mistake i didnt know you knew us personally!

If a man hits a woman, or a woman hits a man, then that person obviously doesn't respect that person. People who respect each other don't hit each other.

If you think that a lack of respect is still loving behaviour, then good luck to you. I don't think it is, and most people don't think it is, but if you enjoy being hit then go for it.

Personally I think women go back for more because they refuse to believe that it's real, and that the man really does have that little respect for them. They think he'll change, they believe the pathetic apologies, and they don't get hit again- until the next time.
  • Options
    I wont :yeees:

Sorry i guess im a little sensitive bout the whole thing :chin: probably trying to tell myself something huh? well im sorry when i read that back it was bitchy, :blush: i shoulnt have taken that out on you!

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I just don't like to see people with little self respect. You need to feel special and abuse won't make you feel special. :angel:
  • Options
    If anyone is interested there is a book by Erin Pizzey (founder of the Womens' Refuge) called Prone To Violence, available in its entirety on the net.

http://www.bennett.com/ptv/index.shtml
  • Options
    Threads that are like this annoy the heck out of me. Domestic violence is wrong no matter who is the aggressor, man or woman. I've found that many times women are the beginning abuser, they throw stuff, slap, bite, spit, etc... Men are just supposed to take it. It's true that we are much bigger and stronger, but if someone throws a pot at your head it still hurts. I'm in no way condoning violence against women, I just want everyone to look at both sides of the picture. There is a stigma.
  • Options
    because after the first time, theres still all the good times that outweigh the bad, and then after the second time, youve forgiven once, so youll do it again.
    Its the same reason people stay in shit relationships even when there is no violence. Just reminscing and expecting it to go back to how it used to be.
  • Options
    because after the first time, theres still all the good times that outweigh the bad, and then after the second time, youve forgiven once, so youll do it again.
    Its the same reason people stay in shit relationships even when there is no violence. Just reminscing and expecting it to go back to how it used to be.
    That is so true. You are always thinking of the good times, and thinking things will go back to that, rather than looking at the situation now.
  • Options
    Buddhabong wrote:
    Men are just supposed to take it.

No they're not. They're just not supposed to retaliate by repeatedly beating their partner.

Walk away if a relationship is abusive. You owe it to yourself.
  • Options
    please can someone explain it to me....

the only reason i can think why someone, boy or girl, would remain in a shitty relationship is LACK OF SELF-RESPECT. i think that they so lack the CONFIDENCE that they will find a better one out there. which i believe is a terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible thing. they live in DENIAL.

why would you like to get hurt, emotionally or physically? (unless theyre a masochist, then their saddist partner is perfect) where is the respect if the other person always hurts the other, intentionally or unintentionally? if someone has the SENSE to realise the the partner gets hurt because of his/her actions, shouldnt that person do all he/she can to change the attitude?

with the proper relationships ive been in, i never hit a girl when we would get into a fight. emotionally, sadly yes, cos well its almost always inevitavble in an intense argument. theres this one time that she got pissed so much (my fault though) that she started hitting me (at the body, i just dodged whenever the blows got too high or too low ;) ). anyway i knew i was stronger than her and wouldnt stand a chance so i just let her vent her anger. after a few hits i restrained her from behind (hugging so she cant use her arms) and we just stood there while she cried. that moment was probably the longest in my life. we broke up cos she had to move to france and im not into long distance relationships. but even with the guys she been with since, shes always told me that she enjoyed us the most. although, i didnt asked why (cos i dont want me head to get big) i think its because even when the worst came to worst i still treated her with respect (plus maybe im really just a good lover ;) ) anyway im going to france to see her and i dont know hows it gonna be. dont think i wanna get back with her. but thats another story.

so why live in denial? how daft can that be? why dream of the good times if the bad times just keep coming back, ESPECIALLY if its the same reason, the same reaction, the same situation EVERY TIME? thats not love. :yuck:
  • Options

the only reason i can think why someone, boy or girl, would remain in a shitty relationship is LACK OF SELF-RESPECT. i think that they so lack the CONFIDENCE that they will find a better one out there. which i believe is a terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible thing. they live in DENIAL.

why would you like to get hurt, emotionally or physically? (unless theyre a masochist, then their saddist partner is perfect) where is the respect if the other person always hurts the other, intentionally or unintentionally? if someone has the SENSE to realise the the partner gets hurt because of his/her actions, shouldnt that person do all he/she can to change the attitude?

with the proper relationships ive been in, i never hit a girl when we would get into a fight. emotionally, sadly yes, cos well its almost always inevitavble in an intense argument. theres this one time that she got pissed so much (my fault though) that she started hitting me (at the body, i just dodged whenever the blows got too high or too low ;) ). anyway i knew i was stronger than her and wouldnt stand a chance so i just let her vent her anger. after a few hits i restrained her from behind (hugging so she cant use her arms) and we just stood there while she cried. that moment was probably the longest in my life. we broke up cos she had to move to france and im not into long distance relationships. but even with the guys she been with since, shes always told me that she enjoyed us the most. although, i didnt asked why (cos i dont want me head to get big) i think its because even when the worst came to worst i still treated her with respect (plus maybe im really just a good lover ;) ) anyway im going to france to see her and i dont know hows it gonna be. dont think i wanna get back with her. but thats another story.

so why live in denial? how daft can that be? why dream of the good times if the bad times just keep coming back, ESPECIALLY if its the same reason, the same reaction, the same situation EVERY TIME? thats not love. :yuck:
    You have really strong views on this dont you! Good for you! Its a shame that all men cant have your attitude.
    Right,why live in denial?... I believe if i had had the abuse i had suffered from day one of our relationship i would have walked from the first sign of any violence/verbal abuse. As i had spent 3 years with this man who had been loving,caring even respectful i truly believed things would get back to the way they were. Unfortunately when we had our 3 month break he became dependant on class A drugs to get him through that time resulting in him getting into lots of debt with some real dodgy peeps,he bought all this back into our relationship and consequently the rest is history! Also when i actually look back on it now the abuse i suffered seems so awful i really cant understand what was going on in my own head back then to stay putting up with it for a year and a half,although saying that there are some women that put up with this behaviour through their whole lives,they must truely end up severely mentally disturbed.I say this because as a result of this violence on myself for that short time my reaction to his behaviour was to self harm,something im really not proud of!Through pure fear i never retaliated so i carried around a lot of pent up anger which at that time i then took out on myself,stupid huh,perhaps i should have given him a good beating,i would now i tell you,any man put a hand on me now they had best sleep with one eye open! ;) Actually joking aside,NO woman or man should accept ANY abuse from their partner,physical or mental,both are just as damaging! Funny,ive just read through what ive written and there still seems to be no answer to your question,perhaps i havent got the answer because i dont understand myself at that time in my life either,all i can say is that yes,i did love him and your right that isnt love but i know that now and ive learnt a lot from my life expieriences.
  • Options

No disrespect meant and I'm not speaking from a position of any particular authority on the subject, but I think you would have to have actual experience of the thought processes involved, rather than trying to map your own mental landscape onto the problem, in order to understand.

It's altogether possible that the women (and men) involved don't really know themselves why they stay and only fairly intensive therapy would be able to bring out the actual problem and break the cycle. If abusive relationships are what you are used to then 'normal' relationships may seem weird and out of place to you(?).
  • Options

Thats the main reason that iv stuck it out, cos when its good it SO good but when its bad.... its not so good

• Options
    No disrespect meant and I'm not speaking from a position of any particular authority on the subject, but I think you would have to have actual experience of the thought processes involved, rather than trying to map your own mental landscape onto the problem, in order to understand.

It's altogether possible that the women (and men) involved don't really know themselves why they stay and only fairly intensive therapy would be able to bring out the actual problem and break the cycle. If abusive relationships are what you are used to then 'normal' relationships may seem weird and out of place to you(?).
    I would like to say i had VERY normal relationships before i got into an abusive relationship and have never and would never put up with that behaviour again! I was 30 when it happened to me so i had had plenty of expierience and knew there was 'good men' out there! You just end up trapped,its a process which gets a hold of you until you end up with so little confidence it takes lots of support from friends etc (which you have to want yourself!) to get out of the situation. I lived in silence while this was going on as i knew i wasnt strong enough to walk away,fortunately a friend entered my home while this violence was occuring and that was my turning point.Talking about whats going on is admitting to yourself its wrong. My present partner is truely wonderful and in the two years we have been together we have not had so much as a raised voice between each other... :heart: