Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Antidepressants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

all in all, I've had a pretty bad last 18 months. I've got to the stage now where I don't feel I could get much lower. My doctor has recommended that I go on antidepressants. I have resisted this for the last couple of months, but feel I have no other options left. I am scared that all they will do is make numb, whereas I would like to stay focused and sort out the problems I have. Can anyone out there give me any advice?

Kevin :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    They are much like any other medication, they work for some, others dont like them, they are far from uniformally bad or good.

They are however considerably more effective if coupled with therapy, do all you can to get your GP to push for this.

Talk to him/her about possible side effects, how long these will last, what they might be like etc. And if the first tablets dont agree with you then talk to them about maybe switching to another type.

In the mean time exercise and eating well will definately help.
  • Options
    it's worth a try kev :)
  • Options
    When I was on ADs they actually helped me become more focused. Because they dampened down the negative feelings I was able to concentrate more on the real issues and not just the fact I felt bad.

Good luck whatever you choose, it wont last forever

Phoenix
  • Options
    Try them, as your "focuses" self is anything but if you are that down.

They do tend to numb things, but that's better than abject pain. You can work through things on ADs, a lot of therapists use them because they make the patient more stable in therapy.
  • Options
    I find people who take anti-depressants tend to be egotistical, self-centered, stubborn jerk-offs with huge superiority complexes, but that's just my experiance.
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    I find people who take anti-depressants tend to be egotistical, self-centered, stubborn jerk-offs with huge superiority complexes, but that's just my experiance.

and i think thats a stupid and moronic generalisation of people on anti depressants
  • Options
    That's what people are like around here, that's why I said it was my experiance. I never said it was a good reflection.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    junker wrote:

And thank you for that uneducated viewpoint :| If you don't have anything useful to say in such a sensitive topic then just shut the fuck up. KKTHNKS :rolleyes:

There is no reason you cannot sort out the problems you have whilst being on ADs methinks. If you have exhausted all other avenues then there is no harm in giving them a go methinks.

Good luck with it all :)
  • Options
    i found them really beneficial personally - no numbness, just the ability to think clearly returned.
  • Options
    obviously antidepressant drugs cannot sort all your problems out for you.
    most work so as to keep seretonin levels high in your brain... and by so doing, make you feel a bit better.
    and if you feel a bit better in yourself, you would be in a better position to sort out your problems.
    so, i'd say they are worth a try! :)
  • Options
    junker wrote:

GROW UP and FUK OFF
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    You what? :eek2:
  • Options
    JessP wrote:
    GROW UP and FUK OFF

:lol: Aw Jess bless ya :D You're picking up on the negative ways in which we sometimes deal with people from the t'other thread where all told slippy to fuck off...bless yooou! :D

:)
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    are you sure you've got the right type of drug there mate??? :eek2:
    tbh though, a lot of people suffering from depression / mental health problems do tend to be self absorbed in their own problems... but its not the drugs that make ppl like that. and in a way, its kind of natural... since when you are experienceing problems you do tend to look inward (to yourself) rather than outwards... but i certinally wouldn't say they would have (as a huge generalisation) a "superiority complex" ... i'd say the complete opposite imo.
    or were you just taking the piss writing that?!
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    I am scared that all they will do is make numb, whereas I would like to stay focused and sort out the problems I have. Can anyone out there give me any advice?

aye, they might make you feel a bit numb. or you'll feel permanently ok. never great, and never awful. but if that's a better prospect that awful awful awful, then it's worth a shot.

they don't work for everyone. personally i have big problems with them and hope never to have to resort back in the future, but foe some people they work wonders, and i would never have known without trying.
  • Options
    Yeah, very uneducated, especially since I was diagnosed with depression (which then turned into bi-polar disorder, which then was changed into Manic-Depression) and a panic disorder two years ago. They put me on four different kinds of AD's (prozac, paxil, tranylcypromine, and celexa) within the first 3 months and I noticed how I acted around people. I stopped taking them by my choice about six months after being prescribed Celexa which happened to be the last perscription.

I have two close friends who used to be on AD's and ditched them after a couple years. Another one of my close friends who was put on venlafaxine and he acts completely different. Totally superior to everyone, no compassion or sympathy, no budging his opinion. Mind you, those are my close friends. At school in every class there are about 15 out of 25 people who take AD's, and about 70% of those people are where I'm getting my conclusion.

AD's are beneficial for some people, but there are so many different kinds with so many different effects. You kinda have to find out the right one for yourself. The problem with that is the medicines do take a while to kick into effect and it may be a while until you find the one most comfortable. Since it's not a good idea just to switch up medicines one after the other, it might take a longer time than planned in order to find the one right for you. Thank heavens there are therapists to help narrow down the possibilities.
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    Well isn't that a wonderfully helpful and intelligent comment on a message board filled with vulnerable people.

So your friend, according to you (and I dopubt your word, tbh) was a bit off with you so all people on ADs are stuck-up? Are you actually that monumentally stupid all the time, or was it a sepcial treat to have to read that ill-informed and moronic claptrap.

If you had any deceny you would retract that statement. But you won't, instead you'll try and use some half-baked allegorical "evidence" to prove that, actually, it's everyone else who's a moron and not you.
  • Options
    That wasn't even close to what I was saying. Sorry you got the wrong idea.
  • Options
    Ads arent the solution by themselves theyre designed so u can stop feeling so bad all the time and sort out why youre feeling so bad