Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cv

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am writing a CV to try and get a temping job during my summer break from uni. (I'm doing it now because my uni is back much later than most others) Basically what should I put, I know the basics I think....

Also do I class General Studies A Level as a qualification? ;)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I am writing a CV to try and get a temping job during my summer break from uni. (I'm doing it now because my uni is back much later than most others) Basically what should I put, I know the basics I think....

Also do I class General Studies A Level as a qualification? ;)

Thanks

If you sat the exam and passed then put it on your CV, yes. I don't like the suggesion it isn't a qualification. People put GNVQs on CVs and when I was at school the people who actually took them dubbed them Generally Not Very Qualified's! :p
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    People put GNVQs on CVs and when I was at school the people who actually took them dubbed them Generally Not Very Qualified's! :p

That made me smile. :D
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok here is what I have put.

About Me
    I am a hard working student, with high dedication and an ability to get the job done. I have good people skills, I’m polite and I’m good at working on my own or in a team. I feel as if I can learn new tasks in short amounts of time. I also have good computer skills and can use all of the basic Microsoft office programs.

Education
    Exeter University
    Ø Politics (First Year)
    Aylesbury Grammar School
    Ø 4 A Levels (2004) Geography (A) Politics (B) History (B) General Studies (C)
    Ø 10 GCSE’s (2002) 1 A, 7B’s, 3 C’s

Previous Work
    WHSmith Ltd (July 2003-September 2004) Job title: Sales Assistant. Duties involved using the tills, serving and advising customers and sorting, putting out and tidying stock such as stationary, magazines and DVD’s
    Tesco Ltd (June 2002-December 2002) Job Title: General Assistant. Duties involved stacking shelves and helping and advising customers.

Other Experience
    Work Shadowing with the Local MP (June 2002) I spent the day with David Lidington at the House of Commons to get an idea of what goes on in the offices of parliament.
    Head Of News at Xpression FM (March 2005 -) I am head of news at Exeter University’s Campus Radio station Xpression FM. Tasks include recording a 3-minute news report once a week. Also I have to organize the rest of the News team and make sure the daily bulletins are done. In addition I host a radio show once a week.

My old man reckons its alright.

He's even suggested i bug the local radio station back home for some work :chin:

I'll edit this out after a couple of days so it doesnt look like plagerism.

Also I have only just seen your template GWST, i'll do some more editing tomorrow...
  • Options
    i'm not sure a factory would be interested in you having spent a day with an MP really! they'll probably think you're too clever. you might want to dumb yourself down a bit. ;)
  • Options
    i'm not sure a factory would be interested in you having spent a day with an MP really! they'll probably think you're too clever. you might want to dumb yourself down a bit. ;)

Yeah, I agree. When we were interviewing at work the manager didn't even give an interview to people who were far too over qualified because she knew they'd be out of there as soon as something better came along.
  • Options
    Your other experience section needs to be in chronological order.

Here's mine:

Name
    Address
    Telephone Number
    Email

A geography student who is keen to find part-time work alongside her studies. Reliable, committed, punctual, flexible and friendly. Has demonstrated commitment to excellent standard of customer service and team-work during five years part-time work in various retail departments. Able to work under her own initiative and undertake instructed work quickly and accurately.

Education

September 2003- July 2006 BSc Geography at the University of Exeter
    Subjects studied: Catchment Hydrology, River Dynamics &
    Environmental Change, The Geography of Tourism, Geo-politics,
    Environment & Development, Research Training

September 1996-July 2003 The Hemel Hempstead School
    3 GCE A Levels: Geography [A], Chemistry [C], German [D]
    GCE AS Level: Mathematics [C]
    10.5 GCSEs: Economics [A*], Mathematics, Double Science
    Award, English, English Literature, Geography, German, RE
    (short course) [A], PE, Graphic Design
    Experience

Proposed Summer 2005 Air BP, Sunbury-Upon-Thames Office
    Work Training (full time, 6-8 weeks)
    Proposed full time work with this international fuel company with
    proposed work based in the environmental/health and safety-field.

October 2004 – present Habitat, Exeter
    Sales Assistant (12 hours/week)
    A part-time (weekend) job working for a large home-furnishings
    store. Responsibilities include:
    • Cash handling including refunds
    • Processing furniture orders
    • Stock replenishment
    • Customer service skills
    • Stock takes
    • Stock knowledge including the use of a stock-checking program

October 2001 – April 2005 River Island, Hemel Hempstead
    Sales Assistant (varying hours)
    A part-time (weekends until June 2003, full-time during University
    vacations until April 2005) job working for a modern fashion store.
    Responsibilities included:
    • Cash handling including refunds, cashing in and cashing up, expenses.
    • Assisting with till failures or transaction errors including manual sales
    • Stock takes and sale-preparations quarterly, including work at other stores as necessary
    • Customer service and account card processing
    • Visual merchandising including window displays

Previous work-history available on request

Computer Skills

Fully competent in using all IMB Windows-based systems including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point. Fast, accurate typing skills. Fully competent in using EPOS systems and stock-taking packages.

Interests

Currently holding the committee position of Features Editor for X-Net, a student-run University website, where responsibilities include regularly updating the site with reviews of events and features. Currently working towards a collaboration with the student newspaper to increase the turnover of articles available on X-Net and to provide an knowledge-base for both prospective and current students at the University. Also a moderator for the X-Net forums. Other interests include swimming, socializing and music. Currently working on a dissertation project investigating the impact of soil iron content on aggregate stability.

Personal Details

Date of Birth: xx.12.1984
    Marital Status: Single
    Driving License: Full, clean

Referees (2)

The formatting got kinda...screwed :(
  • Options

To be honest I'm looking office work really.

My dad thinks I should contact the local radio station. :p
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    To be honest I'm looking office work really.

My dad thinks I should contact the local radio station. :p

Good luck with the job search. I'm sure many places would be pleased to have you, with that CV!
    :yes: