Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hiding bigoted views as opposing ones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed of late that a lot of views on this board that are obviously bigoted and intolerant are being passed of as "opposing". How long can this thin guise be used and when does it become insulting to ones intelligence?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Give an example. I used the word 'opposing' so am hoping it isn't a dig at me. =)
    Whoopsy ignore that. But yeah examples would be good.
    There are no opposing views in this forum, all views are equally at home and valid, as long as rules are observed. :razz:
    Try and ban us all then if you disagree with our views Mrs CoatHanger.

How wonderfully liberal and tolerant of you.
    Is bigoted code for views I happen to disagree with? You're starting down a slippery slope...
    Rachael wrote:
    Give an example. I used the word 'opposing' so am hoping it isn't a dig at me. =)

It's certainly not a dig at you. I don't recall reading anything by yourself and considering it bigoted or intolerant.

I'm talking about a large percentage of debates that have happened recently which have fallen prey to obviously small minded individuals who pass off unfounded and nasty views as "opposing".
    I've noticed of late that a lot of views on this board that are obviously bigoted and intolerant are being passed of as "opposing". How long can this thin guise be used and when does it become insulting to ones intelligence?
    people are surely allowed to be intolerant.
    Apparantly not Mr Roll.....;)
    NQA wrote:
    Is bigoted code for views I happen to disagree with? You're starting down a slippery slope...

Not at all. I wouldn't be here if i wanted to agree with everything that was said. However, I think there is a distinction to be drawn between "opposing" or "differing" and views that are obviously nasty.
    people are surely allowed to be intolerant.

Didn't you realise that if you disagree with the self-appointed guardians of our morality that you should be taken out and beaten to death with large pointy sticks
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Try and ban us all then if you disagree with our views Mrs CoatHanger.

How wonderfully liberal and tolerant of you.

Cause that's exactly what i said isn't it. That's letter for letter what i posted at the start of the thread. I said: "If i don't agree with you are wrong and you should be banned".

Read the topic again and then post something inteligent.
    Why dont you just ban Rich Kid, myself, The Matadore, nckdn and a few others.

Hell you will lose any credit you have with anybody apart from your selves but at least you'll all be happy in your non daily mail world :) lol
    Not at all. I wouldn't be here if i wanted to agree with everything that was said. However, I think there is a distinction to be drawn between "opposing" or "differing" and views that are obviously nasty.

And who defines intolerant and nasty? And what is a nasty view? Is it those who support abortion who are the nasty ones or those that oppose it? same for the death penalty? What about invading Iraq - who are the ones keeping quiet about evil, those who support the destruction caused by the allies or those who are willing accept the deaths Saddam if he continues.

Nope - once you start censoring you start down a slope...
    Cause that's exactly what i said isn't it. That's letter for letter what i posted at the start of the thread. I said: "If i don't agree with you are wrong and you should be banned".

Dont try and worm out of it, the first post in this thread clearly states what you think and what you think should be done about it. Having said that Ive been to Brighton so can imagine what you're like. :D
    NQA wrote:
    Didn't you realise that if you disagree with the self-appointed guardians of our morality that you should be taken out and beaten to death with large pointy sticks

So you don't think there is a difference to be distinguished between opposing views and ones that aren't actually based on anything of any credibility?
    NQA wrote:
    And who defines intolerant and nasty? And what is a nasty view? Is it those who support abortion who are the nasty ones or those that oppose it? same for the death penalty? What about invading Iraq - who are the ones keeping quiet about evil, those who support the destruction caused by the allies or those who are willing accept the deaths Saddam if he continues.

Nope - once you start censoring you start down a slope...

That's exactly what i'm was trying to start a debate about. Is there a point where you say stop?
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Dont try and worm out of it, the first post in this thread clearly states what you think and what you think should be done about it. Having said that Ive been to Brighton so can imagine what you're like. :D

There's no mention on what i think should be done about it.

Well obviously coming from Brighton i'm going to fit what ever stereotype you have in your head.
    So you don't think there is a difference to be distinguished between opposing views and ones that aren't actually based on anything of any credibility?

Thats nothing to do with bigotry though. I could post credible arguments about how homosexuality is wrong using quotes from the bible and evidence on STDs - would that be bigotted?

And most moral arguments do not rely on credible sources but how you view the world
    That's exactly what i'm was trying to start a debate about. Is there a point where you say stop?

Possibly, but I suspect my saying stop is further to the right than yours. Take race I feel its perfectly acceptable to discuss immigration, even to say whites are discriminated against (though I'd disagree they were), but if you're posting about getting together a lynch gang to burn out your black neighbours I'd suggest you're going too far and perhaps some sort of censorship is needed.

However I'm not sure there's anyone who in my view has posted anything so objectionable or criminal that they need to be censored.
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Why dont you just ban Rich Kid, myself, The Matadore, nckdn and a few others.

Hell you will lose any credit you have with anybody apart from your selves but at least you'll all be happy in your non daily mail world :) lol
    They're frightened to actually come out and say it, they're hiding behind words because they haven't got the guts to say what they mean.

They're a bunch of left-wing sado's who want to live in their own cosy non-real world, smug and self-satisfied, patting each other on the back in arrogant self-delusion.

Thank God for Daily Mail readers.
    They're a bunch of left-wing sado's who want to live in their own cosy non-real world, smug and self-satisfied, patting each other on the back in arrogant self-delusion.

You're on fire today RK. :thumb: :yes:
    NQA wrote:
    Thats nothing to do with bigotry though. I could post credible arguments about how homosexuality is wrong using quotes from the bible and evidence on STDs - would that be bigotted?

And most moral arguments do not rely on credible sources but how you view the world

And i could argue that the Hitler had the right idea he was just an under achiever, based on the fact that i think all jew are money grabbing, hook nosed theifs after showing you the wealth distribution facts about pre-second world war Germany. Doesn't make me any less of a twat though does it?
    And i could argue that the Hitler had the right idea he was just an under achiever, based on the fact that i think all jew are money grabbing, hook nosed theifs after showing you the wealth districution facts about pre-second world war Germany. Doesn't make me any less of a twat though does it?

To be fair I've seen similar posts, sometimes posted by people who then would complain about bigotry or discrimination on another aspect.
    Cap'n, you're guilty of the very thing you suggested in the title of the topic you began.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Cap'n, you're guilty of the very thing you suggested in the title of the topic you began.

See this is where i think there is a distinction to be drawn. If you thought my views on the Jews earlier is intolerant then does that instantly make you intolerant? No. It makes me a twat and you right.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    They're frightened to actually come out and say it, they're hiding behind words because they haven't got the guts to say what they mean.

Thank God for Daily Mail readers.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Isn't it funny how people with "certain" views always pat each other's backs in a rather wanky fashion?

"You speak the truth so-and-so, I'm glad someone on this board is showing common sense". And so on.

Tommo100 wrote:

:D
    Tommo100 wrote:
    ok everyone ...calm down ...put those petrol cans away ...
    ;)
    Tommo100 wrote:

oh well done you helped your cause by using outright predjudice nice going. Are you and RK the same person?