Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Surrender of Britain's EU Rebate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
21 years ago Margaret Thatcher, Britains Greatest Prime Minister since Churchill, fought and won a £3 Billion a year rebate from the EU.

How long do you reckon it'll be before Blair & his Labour government surrender it to the EU? He's already started by refusing to confirm that the issue is "non-negotiable". Anything to prove that Britain is a compliant good little puppy to the Franco-German Axis.

Oh how Maggie must be fuming, its a pity she can't come back and "hand-bag" the whole lot of them. Now she was a real Prime Minister, not a corrupt little wimp like Blair.

Comments

• Options
    break her out the loonie bin
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    21 years ago Margaret Thatcher, Britains Greatest Prime Minister since Churchill, fought and won a £3 Billion a year rebate from the EU.

How long do you reckon it'll be before Blair & his Labour government surrender it to the EU? He's already started by refusing to confirm that the issue is "non-negotiable". Anything to prove that Britain is a compliant good little puppy to the Franco-German Axis.
    Zzz...
    Oh how Maggie must be fuming
    Can't wait for her to fume, can tell you that much...
  • Options
    So the economic situation between us and the EU hasnt changed at all in 21 years?
  • Options
    Its not going to be given up. Given how anti-EU the UK public is it would be political suicide to give up something as high-profile as the rebate without some extremely concrete returns from the EU.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Oh how Maggie must be fuming, its a pity she can't come back and "hand-bag" the whole lot of them.

I doubt it.

She's too far gone in whisky to know what time of day it is.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Anything to prove that Britain is a compliant good little puppy to the Franco-German Axis.

Yes, this strong axis, clearly shown over the CAP.
  • Options
    The Germans support the CAP as much as the French do.

The Germans do have a sizable agricultural sector as well, you know.

As for the rebate, with a referendum on the COnstitution coming up, Blair would never be seen to be giving up something so vital to Britains economy.
  • Options
    The Germans support the CAP as much as the French do.

I presume you actually know about possible reform to the CAP and how the French and the Germans are completely opposite then.
  • Options
    Come on bonga we all know that the Franco-German Axis dominates the EU, it was always the master plan.
    Look what happened when they exceeded the Stability Pact limits, no penalties were incurred, even though they broke the rules for a number of years, but they soon hammered Ireland a few years ago on their budget which they said was breaking the pact limits.

France & Germany are the two bully boys of Europe out to make every other State, including Britain, their subservient to their will.
  • Options
    I presume you actually know about possible reform to the CAP and how the French and the Germans are completely opposite then.

No. Full explanation please.

I do know that Germany has a massive agricultural sector which the government doesnt want to piss off by removing their subsidies.
  • Options
    Even with the EU rebate don't Britain still put more into the EU than France? I might be wrong but don't France actually take more out of the EU than what they put in? So even with the rebate Britain is the second largest contributor. I really don't see the problem with Britain getting something back out of the EU...

And as NQA says the British public is very hostile towards the EU. Scrapping the rebate will only further increase the already widespread support for those advocating full withdrawal.
  • Options
    No. Full explanation please.

I do know that Germany has a massive agricultural sector which the government doesnt want to piss off by removing their subsidies.

Basically put the Germans and the British want to reform the CAP because it awards over production and is unsustainable due to new entrants.

Both the British and the Germans (though the Germans slightly less) want to move to a flat rate payment scheme to the farmers, not based on production but just land. They also want to over all reduce the amount given for just farming and move to other payments, such as the Woodland Premium Scheme, which gives long term payments for planting of woodland.

However, the French rather like the system because they get to support their ineffective farmers to keep doing what they have been doing for ages, which is produce local uneconomically viable crops/animals.

So, on other matters the French and Germans may agree, but on farming they do not.
  • Options
    thats why i want a full scale restruciring of the eu before we sign any constitution, cause its remarkbly secret and whatnot, and it is hard to find any external reports of whats gonig on
  • Options
    I disagree, the EU prints mountains of stuff, you just need to look properly, most of it is boring crap though.
  • Options
    It's amazing what you can get people to believe.

There is no "britain" there is no "EU" just lots and lots of believers acting as though there is.

How much per capita is £5bn or whatever it is?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I disagree, the EU prints mountains of stuff, you just need to look properly, most of it is boring crap though.

they dont go out of their way to tell you it in moderate detail so you can get a gist of it with keen interest but without a law degree
  • Options
    I consider Britains position within the EU as tantamount to being a prisoner in Guantanamo.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I consider Britains position within the EU as tantamount to being a prisoner in Guantanamo.

:confused: care to elaboarate on that one...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :confused: care to elaboarate on that one...
    No.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No.

Do you ever answer anyones questions?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No.

because the comparison is completely ridiculous and offensive...yes?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    That's alright then isn't it? Surely a US government neocon lover like you thinks the people in Guantanamo deserve to be where they are.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    because the comparison is completely ridiculous and offensive...yes?
    No.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do you ever answer anyones questions?
    No. And that about does it.

Thread on its way...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Well I'm no fan of the EU, but I'm pretty sure the prisoners in Guantanamo got no vote on whether they were imprisoned .

less than a month ago a party stood which advocated full withdrawal from the EU and got comprehensively trashed, so I suggest the comparison doesn't really stand up.

PS - Now the election's could some tell Labour Party HQ that there impersonation of a Tory is beginning to grate
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No.

how is the suffering of the prisoners in Guantanamo comparable to the UK's position in the EU...i really want to know? has the EU put a ban on the selling of Bibles or something, did they flush them down the toilet or something?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's amazing what you can get people to believe.

There is no "britain" there is no "EU" just lots and lots of believers acting as though there is.

How much per capita is £5bn or whatever it is?

£83.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    He's already started by refusing to confirm that the issue is "non-negotiable".

Who has?

Do you have a quote to support that because I though jack Starw was pretty clear on this yesterday...
  • Options
    I consider Britains position within the EU as tantamount to being a prisoner in Guantanamo

Just goes to show how disrespectful of human rights abuses and human suffering RK truly is, that he should dare to make such a flagrantly callous comparison as that.

Just another taste of the true lack of substance both of RK's claims and his ill-formed world view.

No surprise though coming from a pampered, insulated legacy child and daily "hate" mail advocate. Such intellect stands on par with Bush's most ardent supporters in the Ozark Mountains.

Someone should remind you that Britain has full representation throughout all institutions of EU and a very strong voice in the process, which you would know if your information sources were of a quality beyond tabloid slush. Perhaps we should have you forcibly bound, gagged and hooded and disappeared to Gitmo for several years without any right to outside scrutiny or council and then see if you continue to make such obscene claims.
  • Options
    3bn is approx £50 per person, spread among working population its higher.
    basicaly £1 per week per person.
    dunno wot working pop is but i dont want to be paying for unrationalised, unindustrialised french agriculture. Did the french pay up to support rover and weak british manufacture? They already nicked our entire fishing industry. Spain gets subsidy to build new trawlers while british breakers merchants get subsidy to dismantle trawlers while fish stocks have been woefuly managed. This debate isnt about wheather the rebate is fair but about lack of french support for constitution it sees as forcing them to reform and restructure. French will prolly reject treaty for opposite reasons that britain would reject it.