Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Kalms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm having real problems sleeping at the moment which means I'm finding it hard to cope with stuff in my life which is worrying me which means I worry more which means I sleep worse and so on an so forth.

I've tried reading but I can't concentrate on it, same with relaxations techniques my mind just keeps wandering back to the stuff thats stressing me.

I was wondering are those kalms nights any good also would it possible to OD on them?

Any other ideas what I could to help sleep?

Phoenix

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rubbsih - don't waste your money.

Go to your doc, they will be able to refer you to someone who can help with your problems - in turn helping you to sleep..

Also in the short-term they can give you medication that will help you sleep [that actually works]
    Panthro wrote:
    Rubbsih - don't waste your money.

Go to your doc, they will be able to refer you to someone who can help with your problems - in turn helping you to sleep..

Also in the short-term they can give you medication that will help you sleep [that actually works]
    true when i was having trouble sleeping (even more trouble convincing the doctor i wasnt depressed again) i was prescribed short term sleeping tablets that have regulated everything out now

dont bother with nytol tbh makes you groggy in the morning, especially the herbal one
    Those kalm things are probably all psychological tbh. My friend always takes loads of them before exams, because she's crazy like that. Don't think they did her any harm though.
    It probably possible to OD on them, but you'd probably have to consume many many packets of the stuff and you'd end up just being sick.

They seem to work for some, I've never held any sway in those over the counter medicines.

Go see your GP about it.
    I had a similar problem and Kalms did nothing for me!!

However, I use Nytol to sleep and there's Valerian Tea which is herbal but DOES work and does calm you down and send you to sleep. I was really skeptical but it's good. There's a number of calming teas available, Dr. Stuart's are good.
    Ahh, but Dr Stuarts echiniea (sp?) tea has very little of it in it.

Valerian will work its a known sedative, though it doesnt agree with some people, and of course it is habit forming like any sedative.
    You could change some of your lifestyle habits.

Like not lying on your bed during the day until you are going to sleep.
    Don't drink any tea or coffee before bed.
    Avoid doing any work in the bedroom - you have to associate the bedroom as a place to relax and sleep..not work
    etc