Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BBC strike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it normal for the Today message board to be closed at this time of day, or is that down to today's (and, indeed, Today's) strike action? And after I finally got the better of logging on and all...

I'm surprised that this subject hasn't been broached yet. Can't we have some anti-Beeb commentary from the free market advocates?

Comments

• Options
    Breakfast this morning on BBC1 was actually slightly improved, they had gotten rid of those dim wits and just had straight news.
  • Options
    Must admit, I would be very happy for them to replace "Today" with "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" every Monday. I don't think I've ever got to work on a Monday morning in such a good mood...
  • Options
    They knew their listeners didn't they, excellent show, on a side not MoK, have you heard 'I'm sorry I dont have a Christmas Carol' its fantastic, well worth finding the CD.
  • Options
    Sack the lot and privatise the BBC.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Sack the lot and privatise the BBC.

No.

A private company would push its own agenda and support one party. Though i guess you wouldnt mind if it supported the Conservatives. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    A private company would push its own agenda and support one party. Though i guess you wouldnt mind if it supported the Conservatives. :rolleyes:
    No, it should be politically balanced, not favouring any one party.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No, it should be politically balanced, not favouring any one party.

As it is at the moment.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    As it is at the moment.
    The BBC is not politically balanced, it favours the centre-left and is worried sick about upsetting this government. Do we really need a State-owned TV/Radio that is frightened of upsetting the government, NO, it reminds me of the old Soviet Union.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The BBC is not politically balanced, it favours the centre-left and is worried sick about upsetting this government. Do we really need a State-owned TV/Radio that is frightened of upsetting the government, NO, it reminds me of the old Soviet Union.

It may have a slightly centre left bias, but in case you havent noticed so do most people in the UK, they have elected New Labour.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Are you an idiot? Do you not remember the affair last year after where the BBC heavily questioned the government over the dodgy dossier and things like that.

Soviet Union? You are a moron. Go and learn about the real world then come back.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It may have a slightly centre left bias, but in case you havent noticed so do most people in the UK, they have elected New Labour.

But is this a chicken and an egg - perhaps people voted Labour as a consequence of drip-feeding by the BBC propoganda department, rather than the BBC being left wing because we have a Labour Government.

OK I don't fully believe that, but because we voted in a Labour Government it doesn't mean that the BBC shouldn't strive towards impartiality
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    No.

Not true. ITN is hardly party political (its crap, but that's a different argument)
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not true. ITN is hardly party political (its crap, but that's a different argument)

Yeah but itv is the daily mail of TV channels though. ;)

And the fact that its crap and owned by a private company. The BBC is not crap and is not private.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The BBC is not politically balanced, it favours the centre-left and is worried sick about upsetting this government.
    If by ''worried'' you mean calling ministers 'attack dogs', fiercerly grilling other members of the cabinet and criticising, often savegely, many government policies then yes, the BBC is dead worried about upsetting Labour.

The BBC is as impartial as it gets. In fact it is the MOST impartial media organisation in this country. Period.

Those who claim bias could perhaps provide evidence to support it...

And I've been away for a few days but I wonder if you ever got to explain your claims that the BBC is "anti-British"... :confused:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    OK I don't fully believe that, but because we voted in a Labour Government it doesn't mean that the BBC shouldn't strive towards impartiality

I wasnt suggesting it should, and I do believe that it is, in the main, relatively objective.

But then I dont believe there is any objective news, except the stock market results.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And I've been away for a few days but I wonder if you ever got to explain your claims that the BBC is "anti-British"... :confused:

What do you think?
  • Options
    I think we should create a sticky thread titled "post your unanswered questions to Rich Kid here".

My guess is that it'd have hundreds of replies before the day was over.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The BBC is as impartial as it gets. In fact it is the MOST impartial media organisation in this country. Period.

Its the nature of the beast. You need people reporting on current affairs and politics who have an interest in it. Anyone who has an interest in it is bound to have a bias.

I tend to agree the BBC is the best media organisation in the country (probably the world), but that doesn't mean it should be constantly looking at itself and trying to purge itself of bias or partiality
  • Options
    The BBC is a Stae-owned, State run media organisation that toes the government line. It knows what side its bread is buttered, it was running scared in the run up to the renewal of its charter, and it is dependant on the government agreeing to the retention of the licence fee - a regressive tax if ever there was one.

So State-owned, State-run = State Propaganda. (bit like the old Soviet Union days)

Pravda next?
  • Options
    Any examples of this rampant bias?
  • Options
    no, because there isn't a rampant bias.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Any examples of this rampant bias?
    Plenty, keep watching and see how they take a softly-softly approach to anything contentious when it involves the government or Blair. Makes me sick.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Plenty, keep watching and see how they take a softly-softly approach to anything contentious when it involves the government or Blair. Makes me sick.

What, like they did during the election you mean, on Question Time and with Paxman? That fairly reaked of bias to me.
  • Options
    Perhaps Gilligan and the Today programme showed bias - but it wasn't towards the Government
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The BBC is a Stae-owned, State run media organisation that toes the government line.
    Nonsense claims and you know it.

Prove it otherwise.
    State-owned, State-run = State Propaganda.
    Rubbish = more rubbish = a massive load of rubbish.
  • Options
    Spewing more "anti-British" sentiment RK? ;)

Remember, by your own repeated claims on the matter re: "anti-Americanism", attacking the government is attacking the nation.
  • Options

Remember, by your own repeated claims on the matter re: "anti-Americanism", attacking the government is attacking the nation.
    :lol::D :thumb:

Any thoughts RK?
  • Options

Not always, don't generalise clanny.
  • Options
    So its not when you're doing it I s'pose?
  • Options
    The Big Bloated Corporation does not spew out anti-British sentiment, it simply toes the government line as Mr Blair expects it to do - or, "there'll be no more licence fee for you"

When certain posters on this forum rant on about America it certainly comes across to me as being very personalised anti-all-things-America, if I'm wrong, then I'm glad.