Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Happy Hours To Be Scrapped

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story I can see the logic behind it, but if someone wants to get massively drunk they will do it anyway.

This is anti-student legislation :(;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good. Perhaps we can begin to reclaim our town & city centres for normal decent people instead of drunken yobs.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Good. Perhaps we can begin to reclaim our town & city centres for normal decent people instead of drunken yobs.

Partly I agree with this, but even on a night out in Aylesbury which was even featured on a TV program about binge drinking, i have very rarely witnessed any trouble. Im not saying the problem is not there, I just think as with many other things by this government it is being blown out of proportion. The majority of people who go for a night out are not there in order to cause trouble and violence.
    although i can see the point behind why this is a good idea, i walk away with a sense that the drinks industry are just looking to keep prices high and turn over a nice profit while getting good publicity at the same time
    It may not be the majority renzo, but the small minority of trouble-makers turn our town & city centres into swirling lakes of blood and vomit every Friday & Saturday night. I reckon that these people are knuckleheads who go out with the sole intentioin of getting p***ed and probably some of them are also on drugs of one kind or another.

They should be woken up at 6am and taken back into the town centre and made to clean up their filth.
    Gavman wrote:
    although i can see the point behind why this is a good idea, i walk away with a sense that the drinks industry are just looking to keep prices high and turn over a nice profit while getting good publicity at the same time

Interesting theory my good sir, the government does have a tendency to side with big business after all....

And RK you can't accuse people who go out to get drunk of being on drugs all the time, again its probably a minority. I've gone out to get drunk and im not a 'knucklehead' or 'on drugs' I just want to relax and have a good time. For example I went on a pub crawl for my birthday last week, I didnt get sick or cause anyone any trouble.
    I appreciate what you're saying renzo, you went out for a good time but didn't cause problems, and there are many more who do the same.
    Its that small minority that we've got to target.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I appreciate what you're saying renzo, you went out for a good time but didn't cause problems, and there are many more who do the same.
    Its that small minority that we've got to target.

Well then why not just target the minority.
    Renzo wrote:
    Well then why not just target the minority.
    Thats precisely what I'm saying.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Thats precisely what I'm saying.

Well then theres no need to punish a law obiding majority with scrapping of all happy hours then. Pubs have to take some responsibility, you are not supposed to be served when drunk but I've never been told by a member of bar staff that I can't have that extra drink.
    Keep happy hours if you fancy, but anyone causing trouble in the street and fighting hose down with mace and then drop home. Simple.
    These have been banned in Scotland I think....:confused:

It has not stopped any drunken neddish behaviour as far as I can see.

People who want to get legless will do exactly that - especially if they are flash with the cash.
    This is stupid. Like with drugs the majoirty of problems caued by alcohol are by a minority.
    Gavman wrote:

Nonsense. Tax keeps drink prices high.
    The point I'd like help with is this. Why is it in say France, Spain or Italy you can see local young people out who are enjoying themselves but rarely getting p***ed out of their heads and causing violence, yet its commonplace in this country. Why are we so different?
    Culture. Britain (and the nordic countries especially) like to binge drink.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Culture. Britain (and the nordic countries especially) like to binge drink.
    Why should that be compared to the southern Europeans?
    Brits getting tanked up and fighting all comers is not exactly a new thing...
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why should that be compared to the southern Europeans?

Because they dont like to binge drink?
    minimi38 wrote:
    Because they dont like to binge drink?

according to a europe wide survey

a higher % of germans think the point of drinking alcohol is just to get drunk than those in the UK, southern europeans just smoke enough to make up for it
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The point I'd like help with is this. Why is it in say France, Spain or Italy you can see local young people out who are enjoying themselves but rarely getting p***ed out of their heads and causing violence, yet its commonplace in this country. Why are we so different?
    In my town... Honestly I'd imagine it's because people are so damn bored. Personally, if my town had a few museums, clubs and things going on aimed at my age group (who I'd imagine make up a great deal of people arrested for D&D) then maybe there'd be less trouble. Yet at the same time there's a fair bit of poverty here too.

I think the problem is those cheap binge drinking bars that're the problem these days. Why pay £2.50 for a pint of Scrumpy when you can get the same one for something like £1.80 in Wetherspoons (of course the beer is bad there)? But people often don't have the money to be picky. But with bars like Wetherspoons, Lloyds and fake ass South African wannabe Barracuda, you can see where the problems lie.
    so the news make an hour long program about fighting in the streets, which contains ohsay 40 different fights from accross the country, take out adverts, its like a minute per fight ok

out of how many people in just one place alone, like durham, my place for one holds 645 for fire regs, as does next door

and thats two places in a small city

thats how it gets blown well out of proportion, its majorly bad, but not the hell that tv makes it out to be in many places
    In my town... Honestly I'd imagine it's because people are so damn bored. Personally, if my town had a few museums, clubs and things going on aimed at my age group (who I'd imagine make up a great deal of people arrested for D&D) then maybe there'd be less trouble. Yet at the same time there's a fair bit of poverty here too.

I think the problem is those cheap binge drinking bars that're the problem these days. Why pay £2.50 for a pint of Scrumpy when you can get the same one for something like £1.80 in Wetherspoons (of course the beer is bad there)? But people often don't have the money to be picky. But with bars like Wetherspoons, Lloyds and fake ass South African wannabe Barracuda, you can see where the problems lie.

wetherspoons dont tend to be so cheap these days i reckon

theres nothing wrong in drinking more than 2/3 pints in one night, which is what counts as binge drinking - its a minority causing trouble, perhaps if licensed premises used their right to refuse people drink theyd be oaky, but then again all theyre interested in is profit
    I doubt it will make a significant difference to binge drinking, which is a behaviour not a finincial decision.

Just like putting up fuel tax rises and congestion charging won't get us out of our cars, reducing the availability of cheap booze won't alter our attitude to alcohol. We'll just spend proportionately more of our disposable income on it, just like we do with petrol.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    thats how it gets blown well out of proportion, its majorly bad, but not the hell that tv makes it out to be in many places

Alcohol is indicated in the majority of violent crime including rape and murder.
    Have you ever been to the A&E on a Friday night? Do you know how what proportion of lasting facial injuries are the result of drinking to much on the town?

Alcohol is drunk in social situations but it's one hell of an unsociable drug.

Not saying that these new measures will do anything to help though.
    The attitude of the drinkers is what needs to change not the price of drinks.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    RK... you are being ignorant here.

They put up the price of cigarettes to stop people smoking. It just made people poorer and still addicted.

Scrapping happy hours won't stop binge drinking. It'll just cost more. We need better education and stricter penalties for those found to be Drunk and Disorderly. We need a detterent or something to stop the problem occuring, full stop. Not just monetary deterrents which, don't work.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    i thought you didn't like government interfering with trade.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    RK... you are being ignorant here.

They put up the price of cigarettes to stop people smoking. It just made people poorer and still addicted.

Scrapping happy hours won't stop binge drinking. It'll just cost more. We need better education and stricter penalties for those found to be Drunk and Disorderly. We need a detterent or something to stop the problem occuring, full stop. Not just monetary deterrents which, don't work.

erm pubs not being allowed to serve those they believe to be d+d

no wait thats law already!