Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

wish you hadn't bothered?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as a contrast to the recommendation thread, are there any products you wish you'd never tried? particularly one that most people rave about and you just did not get on with, but any you wish to vent about. mine:

johnson's holiday skin. orange + a rash. lovely. think i'll stick to my natural hue.

benefit dr. feelgood. smells like a hospital and made my skin itchy and sticky-feeling for a while, before turning really dry. not impressed.

lancome juicy tubes. like glue holding my lips together. and apparently makes you look like you're dribbling. hot.

any maybelline foundation. what's with the colours? looked as if i had been tangoed.

remington wet2straight straighteners. ok, not strictly a product, but anyway. my hair has still not forgiven me, despite 3 goes of intensive conditioning and air drying.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My Juicy Tube is ace. Anyway...!

I personally don't recommend Clarins/Clinique and all that overly expensive jazz for your face. They ripped my face apart... only rash I've had that came close was one from alcohol poisoning.

Cheap Superdrug stuff for me thanks!

ETA - Hair removal cream sucks too. Does absolutely fuck all.
    Anything from the No:7 range from Boots, I'm now allergic to their products. :impissed:

Oh, and Veet's hair lightening cream - came out in a rash.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter stuff - It made me feel queesy after smelling like a freshly baked cake for 2 days. :yuck:

Ilora x
    eyeshadow by 17 at boots. i bought one ages ago and after not very long it went all crumbly.

will have to come back with others!
    Veet moose, never ever uses it burnt my thighs and they hurt for ages.

Venus divine razors, £7 for a packet of 4 and you just get some extra silly purple 'condtioning' strip on it.

Tresemme heat protection spray, and to be honest tresseme shampoo, i thought it was going to be great the way everyone was going on about it, and i have a huuuge bottle of it since last November, desperatley trying to gte my dad to use it up or something :p

I shall think of some more and get back to you :p I'm always well enraged when i spend money on something and it turns out to be pants and i have to chuck it, so i carry on using it sometimes rather than admit defeat!
    Products i hightly recommened (NOT)

Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner- fly away hair!
    Treseme shampoo and conditioner- Can fry chips with the grease on my hair after using these!
    Max Factor lip finity- dried out my lips terribly, didn't even last long!
    Colour shots (hair dye)- after 20 minutes of rinsing, it still hadn't come out, 3 weeks later i was still getting black hair dye on my pillows.
    Veet waxing strips- a sticky mess, only skin came away not hair!
    Any brand of tanning wipes. Why do I spend £2.50 on a wipe that barely does half an arm let alone my whole upper body. They stink, and you can't even see where you're putting it on properly. I always end up looking like some sort of bronzed panda.
    touche eclat - crap considering the price.
    maybelline foundation - too orange for me, even in the lightest tone.

will think of some more and come back.
    kaffrin wrote:
    remington wet2straight straighteners. ok, not strictly a product, but anyway. my hair has still not forgiven me, despite 3 goes of intensive conditioning and air drying.
    My straighteners are ace. :p
    The new ones? I tested one of these on my arm about 4 weeks ago now and the hair is only just starting to grow back, from what I've seen these work well if used properly. I hope they work just as well on my legs and bikini line in a couple of days :shocking: The whole reason I tested them on my arm was to check if they worked rather than fuckin it up.

Yeah, maybe i just had a bad batch or something. :confused:
    Veet hair removal moose, it didnt remove any of the hair on my legs, just burnt my legs and brought me out in a rash!
    satehen wrote:
    Yeah, maybe i just had a bad batch or something. :confused:

I had problems with them too. Think it was probably my technique though, I'm not cut out to be a beautician!
    latest one is oxy on the spot - burnt right through my skin and made coverable with concealer spots into 'ohmygosh did you cut your face?'
    looked rather like leperasy was another one haha
    Touche Eclat - didn't do anything for me

Clinique's skincare range - my mum now uses the clarifying lotion to clean our glass coffee table

Veet mini waxing strips - sticky, messy and no hair came off
    as i said in the earlier one

softlips lip balm, made my lips so crackly and dry

bach rescue rememdy-does fuck all
    Veet hair removal cream. It didnt burn so much as itch. It didnt take any of the hair from my lower legs but my thighs are nice and smooth. Nair is so much better tbh, and cheaper.
    No 2 Clarifying Lotion - has menthol in it...for some reason is like standard issue to customers generally...if you have sensitive skin it canes, an dries out your skin - well done Clinique...

Collection 2000 nail varnishes...go all sticky and gloopy and un-usable...silly...

A thing I can't remember - comes in a tiny tube and it's meant to reduce spot size and redness over night - my skin went HORRENDOUS after that dry wise...will think of more...

Ooo Chanel Purifying Mask...actually gave me spots...!
    A thing I can't remember - comes in a tiny tube and it's meant to reduce spot size and redness over night - my skin went HORRENDOUS after that dry wise...will think of more...

think i have the same thing as this at home, in a little tube with like purply writing on i think, seems to work a little but, mainly by completely drying out the skin, even made mine go flakey. strange stuff, i went back to Teatree after that.
    Ooo Chanel Purifying Mask...actually gave me spots...!
    Most masks are meant to bring out the impurities in the skin, in the process, you get spots. The spots are the result of the impurities being brought to the surface and being expelled from the body.

With masks, I tend to go on the premise that 'it gets worse before it gets better'.

Give the mask a few goes, and you should see an improvement once the spots get less and less.

Ilora x
    Dove body silk lotion. (in the tub). My skin was so dry after using that stuff.
    tresseme products- my hair rebelled seriously after using those.
    loreal double extension mascara - crap and expensive.

i got stopped by a woman in the shopping center who did this buffer pad and oil thing on my nails - i was really impressed and paid the £25 for the kit - feeling smug that i didnt have to invest in extensions for nice nails. when i got home i tried to do the rest of my nails (she had only done 2) it didnt work the same...then when my flatmate got home she pointed out you can get the same sort of things in boots for about a fiver :banghead:
    Clearasil facial wash - Made my spots 10x worse and made me all rashy.

Venus shavers- Didn't make me feel like a "godess", in fact it worked just as well as my 25p razors.

Babyliss hair strightners - Take forever to heat up and then doesn't even effect my hair. :yeees:
    anything from the recent avon hair range

some stuff was good about 5 years ago, before it all changed to "advanced techniques" and smells really disgusting and un-natural!
    another one for tresemme

made my scalp flaky and itchy for about 8 months, have only just got rid of it (and i never had a flaky scalp before i used that product)
    Avon hair reducing cream - if anything the stubble seemed to return sooner. :eek2: