Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coping with stress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I'm having a really stressful time at the moment. Basically my manager at work is making my life hell but I can't quit as I have a mortgage to pay for so I'm feeling trapped which is adding to the stress.

I'm not coping very well. I'm feeling down a lot, finding it really hard to concentrate on anything even things that mormally calm me down, crying a lot and getting self harm urges. The thought of going into work tomorrow is terrifying me I feel clamy and my heart is pounding.

How can i get rid of this feeling stressed?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    break up your day, and have a set time you can look forward to to relax in, mates of mine have "happy hour" as a house watching neighbours and home&away. Make sure there is something to set your sights on that will help you chill out.
  • Options
    In the longer term can you find another job? Has it been a while since you had a holiday from work? Are other folks at work feeling the same stress from the manager? Will be thinking of you.
  • Options
    your manager is a bully. can't you go higher up the chain of command and do something about it? or are you part of any union that could do something? other than that, and although you have financial obligations - there'd be no harm in searching for other jobs... if you stay in that job and that situation with your manager, it'll carry on eating away at you... don't stand for it!
  • Options
    oh... sorry forgot to reply to the question - coping with stress?
    after reading your post in the sex forum - may be you cope best by doing something physical ... way don't you try running - its a really good way of relieving stress and coping. but at the end of the day, no matter how you do cope - you need to deal with the root of your problems: and thats your manager!
  • Options
    Hi

I like the happy hour idea, thing is when I'm actually at work the day feels its never ending and I'm watching the clock all the time at the moment.

I'm looking for another job, my managers not stressing everyone else out the same but everyone has noticed how she is treating me. I think she is just a bad manager, she forgot one staff member had booked holiday and shes giving me flack for time off sick, I had 2 weeks off last ovember through stress and one week through being ill. Both times were with a sick note from my doctor. I was told at that time that once my contract year renewed the sicknesses from the previous year would be wiped I've now been told they count it as a rolling year.

I'm looking for a new job but its hard getting time off for interview as we're short staffed so shes not letting us take l eave at short notice.

Phoenix
  • Options
    add on to last post!

as I was wrting that you replied twice otter! The main thing with the manager is that
    she is bosom buddies with the head of personnel (who knows her mum or something like that) She got the managers job without even being given an interview!

I think I might try the exercise thing though at the mo I feel i dont have energy for anything

Phoenix
  • Options
    i find going to the gym or kickboxing is a really good way to get rid of pent up anger/stress.
  • Options
    Hi

I like the happy hour idea, thing is when I'm actually at work the day feels its never ending and I'm watching the clock all the time at the moment.

Phoenix

yeah, true, but you will KNOW that it's coming, time for you.
  • Options
    Blimey, it doesn't sound like your workplace is very professional - no wonder it is stressing you out. Big hugs.

I thought I'd give you some links to read up on - just to underpin the other comments, really. Hope they help - and that you find something more suitable soon.

coping with stress

Work-related stress

Our getting a job section

Resisting self harm

Exercise and mental health

Take care ;)