Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How do you choose people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I was wondering if anyone here has experience of interviewing others, if so what makes you choose one person over the others?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    I haven't interviewed anyone, but every interview i've had so far has been succesful, i put it down to body language. During the interview i am very concious of how my body language can give off signals of confidence. I watch how walk in, shake hands, sit, where i place my hands etc. The first minute says more about you than the rest of the interview and i always make sure i impress them in that first minute. Also helps if you dress smartly. You'd be suprised how many people turn up to an interview in jeans! I always wear a suit.
  • Options
    i've never interviewed myself, but we've just been looking for a new person at work. everyone my boss interviewed was pretty much equal in terms of education and experience, and in the end, my boss chose the one she chose because she really warmed to her in the interview, and she was funny and friendly, and my boss said she could really see her fitting in with the rest of us.

just be yourself, and if yourself is right for the company, you'll get the job.
  • Options
    I just keep thinking about my interview and pulling it to pieces and its driving me up the wall cos if i dont the job I cant stay where I am but I cant leave till I get a new cos of money
  • Options
    When I was interviewed for my job I was the only one who asked loads of questions. I work in a GP's surgery and I asked about a uniform, other members of staff, any clinics they run, surgery hours, GP names and hours worked... all kinds of things.

My manager told me a good while later that she had been really impressed by that.

When we interviewed for another member of staff we were asked our opinions on the candidates as we chatted to them before they went in. We all picked the ones who had made the most effort to look smart but who were easy to chat too when they didn't think they were being judged. I think watching how people behave when they're not under pressure to perform is a good indicator.
  • Options
    As someone who has interviewed people I'm firstly lookign for someone who is competent to do the job and isn't going to cause me too many problems, either by needing to be micromanaged or by going off on a tangent and needing to be pulled back.

If they can do the job I'm then looking for someone who I don't mind spending a large chunk of my life sharing an office with
  • Options
    PM Man of Kent and ask him, I don't think he reads this often.
  • Options
    Wear a low cut top. Works for me, every time.
  • Options
    i've interviewed loads of people and these are my interview tips:

1) always dress smartly - wear a jacket - if its for a more casual job then you can wear it with a different skirt/trousers and a nice pair of shoes, if its for a big proper office then wear a full on suit and tie if your a boy.

2) be friendly but not pushy, answer all the questions polietly and its ok to think for a few seconds before you answer - if you really dont' know an answer then say you don't - it looks better than if you make something up and get it wrong.

3) Prepare answers to the stock standard questions - normally why do you want this job, what are your strengths and weaknesses (if you say you have no weaknesses then that is a weakness), how did you hear about this job.

4) Always have some questions to ask them - a process one about the job and the organisation like what are the normal working hours, people who work there like etc. And then a wider one to show that you know something about the industry, so if its a job at a supermarket you could ask them what the supermarkets policy is on fair trade or locally sourced products....

5) if you have a written test then this is the MOST important part of the interview - its normally the part that makes or breaks a candidate - even if you interview really well you wont' get the job if you stuff it up, becuase it shows if you can do the job or not.
  • Options