Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

does anyone know....?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why you shouldn't pluck hairs from moles?

im always getting told not to, but i wondered if there was a specific reason?

Comments

• Options
    Doing anything to a mole - picking it, scratching it, plucking hairs can cause the mole to become cancerous.

At least that's what I've always been told...

Ilora x
  • Options
    a mole is basically an abnormal growth of cells (usually benign), however if you start to pluck them(or fiddle with them in any way), you might cause dysplasia (the cells will start to proliferate abnormally), in this case you could provide the right environment for a malignant change in the cells- and believe me you don't want a melanoma or a squamous cell carcinoma (both types of skin cancer)- I see alot of cases of this in my work and it's nasty!

...I'm not saying that it'll definately happen, but you don't want to take any chances.....
  • Options
    i don't have any thank goodness... but omg that is some scary shit! - they turn cancerous?!
  • Options
    I have one on the side of my face and I pluck it too. Scary!!
  • Options
    Just cut the hairs as close to the surface as you can.

Doesn't it feel irritated when you pluck them? Jebus... it makes me cringe!
  • Options
    get rid of the mole.
  • Options
    I pluck/shave mine and I've never had any problems with it. Ones on my face and they wont remove it becasue it'll leave a scar.
    The other two, one is on my thigh the other on my arm and they said they "might" remove them but I am low priority come back in a bit.
    I also once had a cut across the mole but the doc said don't worry unless it changes colour so i doubt it'll do much.
    I'm not going round with horrible black hairs sprouting everywhere on me thats for sure.