Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know its a bit early to be thinking about this as im not going to be able to start it until the end of aug/sept, but anyway.
Basically the pill didnt agree with me, and im looking at going on the injection when ive had my baby.
Thing is ive heard from a few people that they all put weight on when they went on it, i dont really want that. Is it true? Just looking for a bit of info from people who are on it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've heard the same, but another friend of mine said she lost weight. I think its the same with all hormonal contraceptions, it varies from person to person.
    the problem with the injection is that if it doesnt agree with you u have to wait three months for it to wear off. have you spoken to a doc about it at all?

what about the patch or coil? if you have problems with those you the side effects are gone within a couple days(ish) of removal.
    "70 % of women using Depo Provera gain weight. Almost half of the women using Depo Provera gain more than 5 pounds after one year of use. Many women gain more than 10 pounds."

From here
    I was always told by the doctors that the weight gain is down to increased appetite. So if you watched what you ate, not increase your daily intake then you should be fine.
    id never recommend the injection, but have you thought about the mirena coil. They might even be able to put it in for you at your 6 week check or even earlier if you let them know in advance.
    Thanks. Im not sure what im going to do yet, the coil sounds a bit scary! but we'l see.
    the coil may sound scary , but it will be nothing once you have done the giving birth thing! there are positive and negatives to each type of contraception, but what has happened to other women won't nessecarily happen to you.

however, i too have heard alot of injection horror stories -and the thing that would worry me the most is the fact if it effects you in a negative way you have to just wait it out. could you not pop into the fpc for a chat or get some leaflets from the drs? there is also the implant which goes in your arm.
    I know two seprate peolpe who are using the injections one girl did gain weight and the other didn't. They both said they found themselves to be straving all the time though one worked out and burned fat really fast the other girl didn't and it clearly shows. Why not the patch
    Aye, I have been hearing good things about the Implanon. It is a small whit tude that is put under the skin in the arm. Just stays in there and you dont need to remember to take pills/get injections.

Less drastic than the coil
    Panthro wrote:
    Aye, I have been hearing good things about the Implanon. It is a small whit tude that is put under the skin in the arm. Just stays in there and you dont need to remember to take pills/get injections.

Less drastic than the coil
    my sister in laws got that in. shes had it for 8 months but has been bleeding solidly for 5 months. Shes getting it taken out soon.
    Same with me, I had the bleeding constantly thats why they put me on the pill with it. I had it taken out a month or so ago now.
    As with all contraceptive devices - there are pros and cons to each.. And everyone reacts differently to them..

Have a chat with the GP, or the nurse at the FPC on all the options
    I thought about the implant but everyone i know bled on it, and with my track record im likely to do the same!

Just going to have to speak to the doctors after baby is born and see what they say, thanks :)
    this maight be irrelevant as you may have already but have you tried different brands of the pill?
    i guess im lucky cos the first one i tried agreed with me after about a month!
    Yeah 3 :(
    Well id seriously consider getting a coil. It does hurt a bit getting it put in, but since youll have had a baby by then, its not as bad because the cervix has already been dilated.
    There are two types. One is the hormonal coil - ie Mirena, which releases a tiny amount of progestogen, which is the same hormone as which is in the mini pill, which would mean its suitable for breastfeeding. It acts locally (ie in the uterus only, rather than the whole body) so you shouldnt get the same side effects as you do from the pill for instance, but you do still get the contraceptive effects of the progestogen. You also get the contraceptive effects of the coil itself, so its like a double barrelled contraceptive. It also tends to have the effect of reducing or stopping the periods.
    Once its in, you dont have to think about it for 5 years, but you could get it taken out any time (which doesnt hurt)

The other coil is the non-hormonal. Im only on this one as I didnt want any hormones. Its great for me, as my body seems to be particularly sensitive to hormones. The only problem with it is it can make periods a little bit heavier, but apart from that its fine.
    I found the implanon boosted my fertility, twice i've had it, twice I fell pregnant in two weeks after removal :)
    Thanks rainbow, i might look into that and see. How soon after having the baby will i be able to go on any sort of contraception does anyone know? Is it after the 6week check up?
    you cant use the normal combined pill straight away as it interferes with breastmilk, but you could use the mini-pill. Only thing is, is the minipill is not that reliable on its own, because you have to take it at exactly the same time every day - an hour out, and its not as effective.
    I think depo injection you can have after 6 weeks and i would discuss with your midwife about things like the coil and when that can be put in, as Im not sure. Most people bleed for at least 3 or 4 weeks after having a baby, and some people bleed for up to three months, coupled with the lack of sleep, having sex is probably not going to be that high on your list of priorities for a while, but its definitely best to ask in advance. You could ask at your next appt. Dont you ahve them fortnightly now, or is it weekly?
    Yeah i will do thanks. Lol sex will be the last thing on my mind once he's born, i just dont want any more accidents!
    I have them every 4weeks, like ive got one next week which should be my 28week one, thats at the hospital though for a scan&check up, and then i see my mw at 32 weeks. Then after that though its every 2weeks.