Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where to start?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, after avoiding it for as long as possible, it's come to the time where I've got 2 choices. Get a job, or stay on at College for another year, then go get some degree at Uni. I'm genuinely not sure of what to do. I want to work, it feels weird to be the only person out of my group of mates to not already have their foot on the ladder.

If I was to get a job, where do I start? I'd be looking for something Office related, and my Standard Grade results (Scottish GCSE's) are pretty good. I'm studying Higher (Scottish A-Level) Business Management just now, and I'm aiming for an A or B.

Does it matter where I start off? Or is it all more experience, which is sure to help?

Help me you little monkeys!

Comments

• Options
    In terms of making the decsion as to whether to stay on in education or not, only you can make that decision. If you have any career ideas then this may influence your decision.

As for work, any experience is good. There are on-going debates at the moment as to how much value employers place on educational qualifications. Again, if you want to work in any specific area, it may be worth contacting your local careers service to see what they suggest.

You can look for jobs in the local papers, national press (on certain days, although these seem to be looking for people with significant experience) and also in Job Centre's, College careers offices or recruitment agencies. There are also many jobs advertised online. Sites such as JobServe.com have plenty of vacancies advertised.

Don't make any hurried decisions, and remember that if you do decide to work, you could always return to education at a later date.

Hope this is of some help,

Jon
  • Options
    in the world of business / admin / office work ... experience is the key :yes:
    although its likely you could do an NVQ which is a work related qualiication as you are working to build up a skills portfolio kinda thing.
    its down to you what you want to do.
    but i personaly would doubt doing a degree would be of much use in an office based environment ... although could be of use if you wanted to spread your wings later on and take on a different career?!
  • Options
    In my experience a degree is useful in an office enviroment, or at least its good at getting you through the door.

It shows you can think to a higher level and reason well, though its FAR more effective with experience as well.

(on a side note I resent that the Scots dont have to pay for Uni when it is us in the South paying for it)