Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Psychology..help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey everyone, im applyin late to do psychology, and i dunno whether to apply for 3 year course or 4 year with work placement. Anyone doin psychology and have advice for me?
I think i'd wanna do postgrad study to become a clinical or councilling psychologist, so maybe a placement would give me more chance of getting on a training course when i leave uni?
All replies gratefully received :blush:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    is it a sandwich year for ur placement?if it is, then it shouldnt really make a difference which one u apply for.for my course, we were all put down for 4 yrs, with a sandwich yr purely for the financial side, but its not until your 2nd year when u actually decide if you are taking a year out. i think a placement year would be good as it gives you experience but make sure its actually a worth while experience.
  • Options
    yep it is a sandwich year, what uni are you at? Thanks
  • Options
    getting a placement on a psychology course can be quite difficult to obtain... mainly because of the nature of the work and confidentiality and such like, and they are usually unpaid.
    whatever course you choose, you'd be best getting some work experience in where you are working with people - an easy area is in social care - and its appropriate experience when it comes to getting psychology related jobs... and building up a portfolio of related work experience.
    bear in mind though that it is an EXTREMELY competitive area to work in.
    and also, your degree whether 3 or 4 years would require you to undertake about another 3 years min. of postgraduate training to become a clinical or counselling psychologist - thats 6-7 years in all, before you even start work - so make sure it is something you really want to do and that you are willing to work very hard.
    and good luck! :)
  • Options
    Do whatever leaves you the widest options towards the end...what you think you want will probably change overthe next few years!