Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Symptoms of depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People that have been diagnosed with depression what symtoms made you think wait a minute some just ain't right/normal with me here?

Thanks

Chris:)

Comments

• Options
    Anybody or is the question abit too delving?
  • Options
    Crispy wrote:
    Anybody or is the question abit too delving?
    depends whether you want people toi talk about their personal experiences or not?!
    i think generally, it gets to a point where the way you are feeling interferes so much with your day to day living that you cannot function properly... i guess at that point you just want someone to save you from your feelings or do anything to make it better, so you try to seek out help - and of course get diagnosed with depression - may be??!
    why the question crispy?
  • Options
    for me it was just a feeling of total unhappiness, not wanting to get out of bed, not wanting to go out or getting ready to go out, leaving the house waiting for a bus but then going back home instead of going to where ever it was i intended to, not looking after my health.
    i think i went to the doc, he asked what he could do and the flood gates opened!
  • Options
    erm feeling down, feeling like life is not worth living,not eating,not having any energy,insomnia
  • Options
    Personal experiences would be great:) Can do a bit of association then.
  • Options
    when i couldn't stop thinking about killing myself and being pulled off a bridge after trying to jump off it kind of made me think i needed help. i was SH-ing alot too and just woke up disapointed id woken up at all - kept hoping id die in my sleep.
  • Options
    crying all the time, planning my own funeral, off food

and the suicide attempts :chin:
  • Options
    The official diagnosis criteria is:

BEHAVIOURAL: Appetite increase or reduction, sleep disturbances, low sex drive, psychomotor retardation/agitation.
    PERCEPTUAL: Auditory hallucinations.
    COGNITIVE: Slow/muddled thinking, indecisiveness, pessimism, suicidal, faulty thinking.
    MOTIVATIONAL: Apathy, reduced activity/interest.
    SOCIAL: Social withdrawal.
    EMOTIONAL: Low mood, anguish, anhedonia (loss of pleasure of things previously enjoyed), diurnal mood variations (mood changes throughout the day, particularly low in the morning).

5 symptoms everyday for 2 weeks leads to diagnosis. (DSM-IV)
  • Options
    when people withdraw them selves from the usual things they do such as eating etc.. crying saying stuff like i wish i was dead, you dont need me im a waste of space etc..
    my older sister was depressed and she had me to talk to so i think that helped so she felt like she didnt have to keep her problems to her self.
  • Options
    Extreme mood swings
    panic attacks
    losing weight for no reason - def not complaining about that one lol
    crying for NO reason
    Very aggressive
    constant feeling sick
    not liking stuff i used to like
    no motivation

went to see doctor told him that, he sed 2mins later u got depression, take these. see me in 6 months. HELPFUL i felt :banghead:
    2nd opinion said take them or you'll get worse
    i said ive got no reason to be depressed, il make myself betta, and im now slowly gettin there with pretty much support from everyone i kno, now they know im not just attention seeking or crazy lol
  • Options
    Being moody/irritable
    Binge-eating
    Being withdrawn and not wanting to do anything
    No motivation
    SH
    Being tearful all the time

Maybe I should get help as I seem to be SH a lot more at the moment.
  • Options
    What's 'SH' short for?
  • Options
    SH is short for Self Harm.
  • Options
    Scarlet wrote:
    The official diagnosis criteria is:

BEHAVIOURAL: Appetite increase or reduction, sleep disturbances, low sex drive, psychomotor retardation/agitation.
    PERCEPTUAL: Auditory hallucinations.
    COGNITIVE: Slow/muddled thinking, indecisiveness, pessimism, suicidal, faulty thinking.
    MOTIVATIONAL: Apathy, reduced activity/interest.
    SOCIAL: Social withdrawal.
    EMOTIONAL: Low mood, anguish, anhedonia (loss of pleasure of things previously enjoyed), diurnal mood variations (mood changes throughout the day, particularly low in the morning).

5 symptoms everyday for 2 weeks leads to diagnosis. (DSM-IV)

I'll answer these criteria:)

BEHAVIOURAL:
    Appetite increase or reduction - Some days i'll eat crazy amounts of food & then other days I don't want to eat anything.
    sleep disturbances - Totally insomnia reigns supreme why do you think i'm online now;)
    low sex drive - I'm not much interested in masturbation now. But then sex is mind blowing as ever & just keeps getting better :love:
    psychomotor retardation/agitation - Dunno what that means :confused: Simple terms please.

PERCEPTUAL:
    Auditory hallucinations - Is that saying something out loud that doesn't exist??? Like talking to yourself???

COGNITIVE:
    Slow/muddled thinking - I do get confused easily more nowadays & my thoughts go all over the place.
    indecisiveness - Check out my sig for the answer to this one;)
    pessimism - I sure do have that with me saying 'nothing ever goes right for me' & 'I don't have any luck with anything'
    suicidal - I suppose I lack any lust for life but no suicidal tendencies as I want to live life but just a better life.
    faulty thinking - Is that blaming myself all the time for stuff???

MOTIVATIONAL:
    Apathy - ???
    reduced activity/interest - I've got zero motivation to do anything.

SOCIAL:
    Social withdrawal. - Totally I don't leave my house at all sometimes for at least a fortnight sometimes. I only talk to my mum & gf. I decide to not go out with my sis even when there's no reason not to. I don't go to places even though i've been invited to them.

EMOTIONAL:
    Low mood - Honestly yes but, then usually masked by me saying everything is 'fine'.
    anguish - ???
    anhedonia (loss of pleasure of things previously enjoyed) - Oh god yeah nothing much interests me now. I used to like playing xbox but now it just bores me instead. I used to like listening to music now that just doesn't appeal. I've loved cars all my life & like to browse websites looking @ all the new models, features etc. but now that is starting to dwindle as in i'll look @ like 2 websites & get bored.
    diurnal mood variations (mood changes throughout the day, particularly low in the morning) - I'm low every morning which then goes to afternoon & then to evening because of me waking up thinking there's nothing to get up for so I just go back to sleep which process is repeated until I can't physically sleep any longer. The only time my mood changes from low is when my gf phone me in the evening.
  • Options
    Hi Crispy
    Have you been to see your GP about all this? I think you've established that you're not feeling as good as you could be (or would like to be) at the moment, so the only way forward is to face that properly. Explain these things to your doctor and see what they say.
    If you feel you need to just speak to someone about how you are feeling, you can always pick up the phone to one of these guys:

SupportLine
    Confidential and emotional support on the telephone for children, young adults and adults who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at risk and victims of any form of abuse.
    Web: www.supportline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8554 9004

Depression Alliance Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Web: www.depressionalliance.org
    Tel: 0845 123 23 20

:)
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    Have you been to see your GP about all this?

No :no: I've spoken to nobody about it apart from this thread.
    spanner wrote:
    If you feel you need to just speak to someone about how you are feeling, you can always pick up the phone

I don't do phones as i'm totally scared to use them & answer them. I've got this great fear of the unknown. Hence why i've not answered the front door in years now.

Going on what i've read on thesite articles I fear I may also suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, xenophobia, OCD, personality disorders which makes things that bit more worse:crying:

I'm just a mental health nightmare that needs my straight jacket putting on & being taken away by the men in white coats to my padded cell :nervous: :banghead: