Wrist bandage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been wanting to buy a couple of these, the anti-bullying one and Live Strong one but I only wanty to buy it from a legit retailer. I 'm looking on http://www.store-laf.org/ and a 10 pack costs 10 bucks but I only want one. where do I get the anti bullying one from then?
«13

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Send a pound to each charity and forget the wrist band :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    According to the siteI got mine from they are producing any more.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Send a pound to each charity and forget the wrist band :thumb:

    I only support the beat bullying, Lance Armstrong Foundation, NSPCC & RSPCA charity's tho.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I support the Lance Armstrong Foundation
    Why?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The wrist bands have gone over the top. Everyone has one(livestrong or the anti-racism) and the fashion statement, because in essence that what it is at my school atleast, is a powerful as wearing a von dutch cap or t-shirt(also extremely over worn). If it is for supporting charity, do as kentish said.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Why?

    Because me supporting and giving money to them helps people get better care and support for people with cancer and, mt money helps towards the research of cancer.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    GINGA wrote:
    The wrist bands have gone over the top. Everyone has one(livestrong or the anti-racism) and the fashion statement, because in essence that what it is at my school atleast, is a powerful as wearing a von dutch cap or t-shirt(also extremely over worn). If it is for supporting charity, do as kentish said.

    Um, I already give money to the charitys I support, so don't try and tell me I only want one for a fucking fashion statemnt. IDIOT.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because me supporting and giving money to them helps people get better care and support for people with cancer and, mt money helps towards the research of cancer.

    yeah, that's great, but.... why does the world need to know?

    and if you do need the world to know, give a quid to the man on the street with a collection box, and he'll give you a sticker.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and if you do need the world to know, give a quid to the man on the street with a collection box, and he'll give you a sticker.

    I do. And why not let everyone know it? I'm particularly proud of what I do for charity so why not let other people know?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm particularly proud of what I do for charity so why not let other people know?

    because charitable donation is supposed to be selfless.

    i know that the charity gets its money either way, but it kinda negates the act of kindness if you say 'i'm giving! look, everyone at how generous i am. I'm GIVING, dammit'.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    because charitable donation is supposed to be selfless.

    I wonder why though?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    because charitable donation is supposed to be selfless.

    i know that the charity gets its money either way, but it kinda negates the act of kindness if you say 'I'm giving! look, everyone at how generous i am. I'm GIVING, dammit'.

    No it means I SUPPORT such Charity's. You've just contradicted your self there any way. First you say "give a quid to the man on the street with a collection box, and he'll give you a sticker." And now your saying that it's selfless to show people that you donate to Charity's.

    Make up your mind.

    I know someone who was severely bullied at school and wheres the anti bulling wristband because he strongly supports it. It's not selfless, it's making people aware. You make me laugh the way you ridicule people for them believing strongly in something and wanting to show people they support certain things.

    At work we buy Aquaid water, because we have that and there is a sticker on there saying that Aquaid helps people get clean water in 3rd world country's, that would mean we are selfless right?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think you're missing the meaning of selfless.

    selfless = opposite of selfish.

    you give because you want to make things better, whether or not people can see that you're helping doesn't concern you.

    if you want/need people to see that you're helping, then it's not really a good deed, is it? you're not giving cause you want to help, you're giving cause you want to be seen as being generous.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At work we buy Aquaid water, because we have that and there is a sticker on there saying that Aquaid helps people get clean water in 3rd world country's, that would mean we are selfless right?

    entirely different concept from the wristbands, tbh.

    you need water at work. so you choose to get one that helps rather than the same thing that just helps line greedy people's pockets. that's great. same principle with the fairtrade chocolate. if you're gonna buy, why not buy to help? i'm all for that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    yeah, that's great, but.... why does the world need to know?
    Well Ive got an anti racism one, and Ive got it purely because I want people to know im anti racism, plus I like the way it looks.
    Mines a fake LOL. I got it off ebay because I didnt want the real Nike one, because they use sweatshops, so hardly an ethical company. I then donated to oxfam.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didnt want the real Nike one, because they use sweatshops, so hardly an ethical company.

    that just sums up why the bands annoy me.

    i bet you're in a tiny minority of people wearing a band like that that know that.

    tbh the racism and especially the make povery history ones don't annoy me as much, cause a lot of people wearing them actually know what they're for, and are trying to raise awareness.

    the difference with people like you is that i bet you would have given money to oxfam whether or not you had a band. right?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you want/need people to see that you're helping, then it's not really a good deed, is it? you're not giving cause you want to help, you're giving cause you want to be seen as being generous.

    Go find someone who has had a friend or relative that's died of cancer and wears a Live Strong band to show support for survivor's and suffers, or find the charity that gives them out and tell them what you just said.

    Next time I see someone wearing a red ribbon or a poppy I'm going to tell them to take it off because they just want to be seen as generous, will that be better for you Miss. Ignorant?
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,912 Part of the furniture
    kaffrin wrote:
    tbh the racism and especially the make povery history ones don't annoy me as much, cause a lot of people wearing them actually know what they're for, and are trying to raise awareness.

    Whether people are buying the bands for shallow reasons or not really doesn't bother me - the fact that they raise awareness and therefore more money is the most important thing here surely.

    They bassically get people who wouldn't otherwise give, giving.

    And why has giving to chairy GOT to be a selfless act - why souldn't the givers benifit aswell as the charities?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Next time I see someone wearing a red ribbon or a poppy I'm going to tell them to take it off because they just want to be seen as generous, will that be better for you Miss. Ignorant?

    see that just makes me think you don't understand what i'm saying, or the difference between the poppies/ribbons and the wristbands. please don't be naive and try to claim there isn't a difference.

    when was the last time someone bought a poppy as a fashion statement? when was the last time you saw a kid wearing 5 poppies in slightly different colours because all his mates were? when was the last time people were selling fake AIDS awareness ribbons on ebay, and even worse, people were BUYING fake AIDS awareness ribbons on ebay cause it's not about the charity anymore, or even the awareness, it's about the look.

    in principle, it's not the bands that annoy me, and i know there are people wearing them for the right reasons. mr. kaff has worn a livestrong one (yes, a real one) for ages, and people are like: 'i love it, where'd you get it?!?!? btw, what the hell is it?'

    you want to pay £1 to show your support for cancer sufferers? why not give the same £1 to show your support for cancer sufferers by donating the whole £1 to care facilities, or counselling services, or oncology units, or hospices, or reasearch? does it even matter that the cancer sufferers can't see that you're supporting them?
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,912 Part of the furniture
    you're not giving cause you want to help, you're giving cause you want to be seen as being generous.

    Why not both?
  • SkiveSkive No discipline! No morality! No respect! New ForestPosts: 14,912 Part of the furniture
    kaffrin wrote:
    mr. kaff has worn a livestrong one (yes, a real one) for ages, and people are like: 'i love it, where'd you get it?!?!? btw, what the hell is it?'

    And there's exactly why these things work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    And there's exactly why these things work.

    it would if people like that then went and bought a genuine band from a genuine retailer. but if that happened there wouldn't be people cleaning up on ebay.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    see that just makes me think you don't understand what i'm saying, or the difference between the poppies/ribbons and the wristbands.

    Maybe thats be cause your ignorant and you contradict your self? There is no difference between poppies/ribbons and the wristbands, they both promote awareness and show support, you didn't seem to realise that at the start of this thread. Just because you get silly fools who ware wristbands because they think it's cool to wear them, and they'll look trendy, doesn't mean to say everyone who wears them is the same as these Muppet's, so don't you even fucking dare and question what I do or why I do it.
    you want to pay £1 to show your support for cancer sufferers? why not give the same £1 to show your support for cancer sufferers by donating the whole £1 to care facilities, or counselling services, or oncology units, or hospices, or research? does it even matter that the cancer sufferers can't see that you're supporting them?

    I donate more than £1. It's not just for suffers, it's for research as well.

    Why does your fella wear one? Why don't HE just donate x amount of pounds for what you suggested.
    does it even matter that the cancer sufferers can't see that you're supporting them?

    Ignorance, again. :no:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    it would if people like that then went and bought a genuine band from a genuine retailer. but if that happened there wouldn't be people cleaning up on ebay.
    So really it's the people that are making a profit from them that you're annoyed with really ... and not Felix. It is wrong the way that people are selling these and making a huge profit but in a capitalist world what do we expect?

    I'm a teacher and I ordered my anti-bullying one as soon as it came out. Bullying was a big issue in the school at the time and it was also what we were discussing in English lessons in relation to the text that we were reading. The bands looked cool therefore the pupils that normally bullied wanted them .... but they couldn't wear them and bully people. It worked, as a short term measure anyway.

    I also have a poverty band. I wear it and yes I would have donated anyway. I like to wear them. It helps my image as a 'nice' teacher. I give my money. I wear my bands. What's so wrong with that? The idea is to raise awareness so that other people will give money and/or at least buy a band.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ignorance, again. :no:

    It's not ignorance, really. It's just that she disagrees with you.

    I'm all for you showing your support if you want to, because if people see it and actually give to the charity after asking you what it's for then that's brilliant. But the people who wear them just because they're cool and don't actually care what they're for will just as happily go and buy a fake one off eBay. There are stalls on the market in Braintree selling all kinds of fake ones and I saw it and I thought..."you fucking arseholes". There were kids going along and asking how much they were (I was waiting there for an hour because the person I was meant to be seeing didn't turn up) and then going up to their parent's going "look mummy, they're only a pound here".

    I wear the Make Poverty History one, because I totally agree with the cause and I want to make sure people give more money to it. It doesn't mean that I don't put the majority of my loose change (up to about 50p pieces, because I'm poor and things) into charity boxes whenever I see them. It just means that people can see that that particular £1 (well, £2 I paid actually, but they're meant to cost £1) went towards buying something that shows my support. My sister has a bullying one from the Radio1 website for the same reason I have a MPH one, to show her support. She doesn't want any of the others, just that one (don't ask me why, because it's not like bullying's a big thing in our household, but that's what she chose).

    What annoys me most is knowing people and them saying to me "Oh, I want one of those Make Poverty History bands, I have all the others, that's the only one I need". I could actually strangle them. I sit there and say "you aren't just doing it because of fashion are you?" and they say "yeh, of course we are". :mad: :banghead:

    Buttttt I'm going off on a rant now. That's just my 2 pence.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What annoys me most is knowing people and them saying to me "Oh, I want one of those Make Poverty History bands, I have all the others, that's the only one I need". I could actually strangle them. I sit there and say "you aren't just doing it because of fashion are you?" and they say "yeh, of course we are". :mad: :banghead:

    But at least they're buying the real ones and not the fake ones in the pretty colours. Surely it's the people that are selling the fakes or making a profit of ones that they've bought cheap that are the real demons here? So long as people are buying them, and their money is going to charity, their reason for buying shouldn't be an issue. It's those that are making profit at the expense of charities that should be ridiculed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe thats be cause your ignorant and you contradict your self?

    ignorant of?
    Why does your fella wear one? Why don't HE just donate x amount of pounds for what you suggested.

    how do you know he doesn't? just cause he hasn't got a wristband per amount given? he wears one because, being a cyclist, he's been aware of lance armstrong and his situation for a long time. i don't have a problem with it because he doesn't sit back and think 'well, got my wristband, i've done my bit'. i know there will be others like him out of the people who wear them. i'm not saying 100% of the people who wear them are bad.

    i'm just interested in people's reasons why they must have a band rather than just donating.

    take person one: buys a breast cancer band one time. person two inherits £50,000 from a relative who dies of breast cancer and donates half anonymously to a specialist breast cancer unit. who do you think is showing the most support?

    i'm asking does it matter who sees?
    Ignorance, again.

    think what you want, mate. i do my bit, and i sleep soundly, and i don't need to wear something fluorescent to show the world that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The thing I don't like about the wristbands (like the poppies in November) is the implication that those who don't wear them don't support these charities or, indeed, support any charity.

    If people only buy these wristbands because they are fashionable then the charity's marketing strategy has worked, because they've bought the wristband. It's why the charities started printing the wristbands, after all, they did it to make money. They've made money. I don't see the fuss.

    The fakes on ebay are a different issue, and as I've said before, people who profiteer from charity should be flayed.

    Personally I don't tend to give to the big set-piece charities, with the exception of the BHF and sometimes Cancer Research UK. If Oxfam can pay their CEO so much they don't need my money, etc etc. The charity I donate most to is probably CHUF, who have saved hundreds and hundreds of childrens lives, but who's heard of CHUF?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Loopi wrote:
    But at least they're buying the real ones and not the fake ones in the pretty colours. Surely it's the people that are selling the fakes or making a profit of ones that they've bought cheap that are the real demons here? So long as people are buying them, and their money is going to charity, their reason for buying shouldn't be an issue. It's those that are making profit at the expense of charities that should be ridiculed.
    But that's the thing, they don't actually care where they get it from, as long as they get it. If it's easier to get it from the Oxfam shop, they'll go to the Oxfam shop, if it's easier to get it from eBay, they'll get it from eBay. Because they don't care about the charities and I hate it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    EDIT: Quoting Felix from the first page, but it never worked out.

    the message I tried to get across was saying that they were only used as a fashion statement in my school. Hence the "atleast in my school". I never meant in anyway that you were getting it to be fashionable. What I wanted to say is there is more effective ways of donating to charity.
Sign In or Register to comment.