Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The verdict: Funny. Came away feeling like I'd seen a good movie.

However...
Some totally unncessary additions.
Fed into Hollywood need for a bad-guy and a love story

Overall though I'll probably see it again. Very good visual gags, and Marvin has an excellent moment towards the end (not in the book, but terrific).

Oh, and I kinda like what they did with the Vogons.

I'm not a total purist so I'm prepared to admit that it had new moments that tickled me despite some sickeningly cloying parts!

Not sure what I made of the dolphins, but the song has got stuck in my head! :eek2:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I want to see it :(
  • Options
    My lad mates areall goin to see it on Saturday, I'm workin but I'm worried the humour might be a bit geekish for me :(
  • Options
    I simulataneously want to see it and don't.

I think I will though...I enjoyed the books/spoken word so much.

Cheers for the brief review. :)
  • Options
    So is it a film about all for books or just the first book? I'm going to see it on tuesday, rather excited!
  • Options
    Just the first book, with some stuff thrown in. Good movie
  • Options
    ooo seeing it on sunday! they're also showing the older ones on bbc2 i think
  • Options
    So is it a film about all for books or just the first book? I'm going to see it on tuesday, rather excited!

Erm... isn't there five books?

The HHGTTG
    Restaurant at the end of the Universe
    Life the Universe and Everything
    So Long, and thanks for all the fish
    Mostly Harmless
  • Options
    Is Mostly Harmless the one with a fish on the front cover? Or is that called "the Salmon of (something)"?

Anyway, I think it was released a few years ago and half of it is a continuation and the other half is a collection of articles Adams wrote for the Observer I believe. It's very good.

The copy I have is with four books together called "the trilogy of four".
  • Options
    Is Mostly Harmless the one with a fish on the front cover? Or is that called "the Salmon of (something)"?

Anyway, I think it was released a few years ago and half of it is a continuation and the other half is a collection of articles Adams wrote for the Observer I believe. It's very good.

The copy I have is with four books together called "the trilogy of four".

The Salmon of DOubt is the 3rd book in the Dirk Gently series (separate from the hitchhikers guide) Adams died while writingit though :(

The book I have is just the hitchhikers guide to the glaxy 'a triloggy in 5 parts'
  • Options
    Man, I've been conned! I suppose mine could be 5 books, but I can't check 'cause it's not here. I'm positive it's only 4 though, which is odd, as I only bought it 3 or 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Film: fantastic! I loved the bit at the end with marvin. And the towels! My friend and I were in hysterics at that whilst the rest of the cinema just found it moderately amusing. We officially are the annoying ones at the back who scream out laughing :p

Go see it! Doubt you'll regret it :D
  • Options
    Except they don't explain the towels for non-Hitchhikers, my friend didn't get it.
  • Options
    Man, I've been conned! I suppose mine could be 5 books, but I can't check 'cause it's not here. I'm positive it's only 4 though, which is odd, as I only bought it 3 or 4 years ago.

Tim, I own "The Trilogy in Four Parts" and have also bought Mostly Harmless, so I don't think you have been conned...
  • Options
    Tim, I own "The Trilogy in Four Parts" and have also bought Mostly Harmless, so I don't think you have been conned...

I jest sir, I jest. I just hadn't realised there had been a fifth book published in that time. Methinks I'll get a copy of Mostly Harmless out though.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Except they don't explain the towels for non-Hitchhikers, my friend didn't get it.

:yes: I so agree. Went to see it yesterday, it was an enjoyable film, but I think maybe having read the book would have helped with the towel thing.
  • Options
    I saw it tonight! Very good, enjoyed it immensely :D
    Haven't read the books though, might have to, so I can get this towel bit. Not that I had realised there was anything to 'get' about the towels...
  • Options
    I'd really like to see it at some point but god knows when i'm going to get to the flicks, haven't been for years. Definite plus is sam rockwell. :yes:
  • Options
    That bloke from the Office sure is getting type cast isnt he, he's funny though.

Three thumbs up from me, a fun, light and generally good movie.
  • Options
    I fuckin loved it ! :D

I loved the books and the tv show and now i love this....not a single thing about it i can point out as bad...at all!

Peace
  • Options
    Just another in a HUGE list of reasons why Radio 4 is the best thing ever.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Yes, that's the one thing they left out that I really
    noticed. Very irritating. Excellent casting of Stephen Fry as the narrator/"voice of the Hitchiker's guide", so why didn't we get more Hitchiker's guide quotes?

Loved the Vogon poetry bit, though.

Oh, and the script calls for Arthur to lay down in front of a bulldozer, the dialogue refers to a bulldozer and its a bulldozer in the book, so why did we see Arthur laying down in front of a loader? :banghead:
  • Options
    Oh, and the script calls for Arthur to lay down in front of a bulldozer, the dialogue refers to a bulldozer and its a bulldozer in the book, so why did we see Arthur laying down in front of a loader? :banghead:

If that ruined the movie for you then I think you best seek medical help.
  • Options
    :blush: I didn't notice. Did get a bit annoyed that they cut Ford's intervention down to giving out beer 'cos the original dialogue is very funny.
  • Options
    the thing that really annoyed me about the film is that loads of bits were left out, and i mean loads, for example where they wake up on the ship and they think they are on southend-on-sea beach and arthur and ford asking the guard on the vogon ship if he enjoyed the job, and the guard telling them he enjoyed shouting, plus lots more that was missed out.

i actually found the film pretty boring in comparison to the tv series and radio series so i'd give this film 4/10.
  • Options
    Indeed, I thought the film was just AWFUL in comparison to the tv series.
  • Options
    Comparing it to the radio series, and then the book, and then the TV series is a bad idea, because it wasn't the radio/book/original TV script and never pretended to be.

I thought it was technically quite poor. Lots wasn't explained, nothing very much happened, and the acting was wooden at best, with the exception of Alan Rickman as Marvin. I didn't like the way that a plot with John Malkovich was started and then quickly forgotten and ignored.

But it was entertaining.