Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How often are references actually checked?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know people, friends etc, who seem to have no trouble getting jobs (not exactly top-end of the market, height-of-your-career stuff, but not too bad either) with entirely faked references.

It seems the old trick of a friend pretending to be director of Tesco's does work, lol...as the company you're applying to rarely seems to bother even phoning up.

Anyone know roughly how often it's all checked up on?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    all of the references have been checked for every job i've ever applied to. usually with something like a shop job, they have just rung and basically asked if i did work there, and roughly the dates, but the graduate jobs i applied for asked for references in writing.

not something i'd want to chance, tbh. it is illegal.
    Never had my references checked. I have had four jobs.

ETA: I have had my Disclosure Scotland [obviously] but that is not a reference just checking my criminal background [not that I have any :D]
    Every decent job I've had has checked up on at least one reference. The last job checked them all, going back three years. sigh.
    I'm not sure whether my references have ever been checked up but then i've only had 2 jobs and have always been truthful.
    When I got my first job (M&S) they only had the head of sixth form to ask so they didn't bother, the theatre were so desperate for staff that they didn't bother either but my lates employer (a GP) checked three of the hour I had to give.
    it depends on what the nature of the job your applying for is. but most employers will check references.
    I guess some places check and some don't..it's basically just luck as to whether or not they check 'em. Willing to take that chance?
    When Haven took me on, they didn't bother checking references. They didn't even ask me to provide any. Amazing, really.
    I guess some places check and some don't..it's basically just luck as to whether or not they check 'em. Willing to take that chance?

Have done :cool: . Problem is i'm 19 and have no references to give - the downside of being a lazy bastard.
    Maybe you're just thinking too literally about it? Think back over everything you have done - school, clubs, sports etc - it doesn't have to be past jobs, everyone has to start somewhere. If there was a more senior, responsible member that you got on OK with I'm sure you could ask them. Lying about past exp0erinecs is never a good idea - even if they don't check the rreference they may start asking you questions based on who you have put down on your CV.
    I had my current boss just asked for a reference for me for a new job as an administrator at a council, hope I get it but anyway it depends on what type of job,
    In that past I got a friend of the family who had a small business to say I did a few months work with them this gave me a good reference and allowed me to lie about a few months work when in reality Id just been sitting on my arse.

Think about the opverall effect of your lie, for instance if your going for a shop work you could say you did 6 months work at boots a year ago and Iv been studing since then. Giving your tutor as a reference ans say they wouldne remember you at the shop it was ages ago and the manager you worked for has moved.
    On a slightly diffrent note do any of you know if your GCSE grades can be checked if you are applying for some where like Tescos as I usually enhance them a bit. I am not sure how they would do it so maybe not?
    On a slightly diffrent note do any of you know if your GCSE grades can be checked if you are applying for some where like Tescos as I usually enhance them a bit. I am not sure how they would do it so maybe not?
    In theory, yes. If they have any reason to suspect you're not telling the full truth, they can request you bring in certificates to show what grades you got. If you cannot do this, or you refuse, they can contact official exam bodies and check. I have no idea whether employers actually do this, but in theory, it's perfectly possible.
    Also remember that if you lie and get the job and the company later find out for some reason, then they are within their rights to fire you. Quite rightly too.

Tesco don't ask for any qualifications you may have be it gcse's a levels or what when you apply now days. The form is quite small now, which is a shame cause when i apllied it was a ruddy great booklet thing :lol: annd they wnated to know my life story.