Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Corfu and cheaper holidays in general

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Did a search but couldn't find anything specific about Corfu, just wondering has anyone ever been there and if so what is it like?

Also I've found a deal through Thomas Cook online where it will cost about £320 per person for 14 nights in Corfu, now to me that is really cheap and I was just wondering should I be at all worried that the hotel is going to be a dive? Its rated as three star and its self-catering, I know all accommodation in Greece is basic but I don't want to regret going for something a bit cheaper when I get there.

Haven't really done much holidaying so just wanted a bit of advice and reassurance, went to Kos with my partner last year which was fine but I guess I may be under the misguided impression that things are only good if they cost more? :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've been to Corfu, didn't think much of it really, but that could be cos my ex got really badly sunburnt on the 1st day and couldn't move for another 3 days at all adn then only very slightly from then on.

Depends what sort of hol you want as well. It is far more of a beach hol place, pretty much no sites to go and see.

Shouldn't be too bad at a 3 star I wouldn't think.
  • Options
    Where abouts are you going? iv been to quite a few places in corfu.

I love corfu but as you said its very basic. You just have to remember u cant flush the loo roll, more often than not during the summer the water will be turned off atleast once a day, it is very doubtful that you will get a toaster or ketle in your apartment (im damn good at making toast on the hob tho)

If a beach holiday is your thing then you should enjoy it. The majority of the greek islands are very similar. I think the only way that you will notice huge difference is if you went to the middle of no where last time and kavos this year or vice versa
  • Options
    Well I have been to Greece four or five times now, so I don't have a problem with everything being basic. The resort we would be near is Sidari, which I understand has something for everyone.

Because I'm vegetarian I want to be somewhere with lots of restuarants so there is more choice, and yes I am happy for it to be a beach holiday - don't really have the confidence to go out exploring etc. without a tour rep holding my hand!
  • Options
    Well I have been to Greece four or five times now, so I don't have a problem with everything being basic. The resort we would be near is Sidari, which I understand has something for everyone.

Because I'm vegetarian I want to be somewhere with lots of restuarants so there is more choice, and yes I am happy for it to be a beach holiday - don't really have the confidence to go out exploring etc. without a tour rep holding my hand!

OMG they are only greek people its not like they are going to eat you - just go and get on the bus corfu town is lovely and going by yourself is sooo much cheaper than going on the over priced restrictive island tour they will try and flog you - dont' belive them when they say there isnt' a bus either - there are buses all over the island - you only have to ask a local - who mostly speak english...
  • Options
    OMG they are only greek people its not like they are going to eat you

Lol I know, I just don't have much confidence when it comes to approaching people and things as I've had very limited experience when it comes to travelling and everything. I actually feel bad whenever I go on holiday because I always feel like the natives are thinking "stupid ignorant bloody English yob". Perhaps this time we will venture out a bit more though, thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    Lol I know, I just don't have much confidence when it comes to approaching people and things as I've had very limited experience when it comes to travelling and everything. I actually feel bad whenever I go on holiday because I always feel like the natives are thinking "stupid ignorant bloody English yob". Perhaps this time we will venture out a bit more though, thanks for your replies.

The key is just to pretend your not in a foreign country just in the UK - ask Zalbor (a thesite member from greece) for a few greek words like Hello and stuff - i'm sure people would appreciate you making an effort - then launch into english i guess - just pick who you ask - ie not someone who has in interest in selling you a tour or something.

Ohh but don't hire mopeds - you will hurt yourselves.......... (OK so you might not but the risk is really high and some stupid ammount of people are killed hiring mopeds in greece each year)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote:
    ask Zalbor
    Hm, first time I get a recommendation. :p

If you want to know anything, do ask -though I don't think knowing a few words will make anyone like you more than they would anyway.
    I've been to Corfu last summer, but I don't think I can be much help about that. I don't know about vegetarian places and I certainly don't know about night clubs or other places you'll probably want to visit.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well, about words, for "Hello" you should say "ya".
    And "thanks" should be pronounced as "Eff- Kahr - is- toe" according to Wyetry, but the "s" in "is" is an "s" and not a "z", if you know what I mean. And tone that word in the last syllabyl.