Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

P38/Student Working

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Another student tax thing.

I am a university student, and I have just secured myself a job for the summer. I have heard about the P38 tax form which you can fill in so you don't get taxed over the summer. I checked out the Inland Revenue website, and the bit on there said that the limit is £4895. It also said that you could only work in the holidays. I have worked in the term time, for 5 and a half hours per week, which I have now quit, and I aim to work in the holidays. The combined earnings for this tax year including the part time work and what I'll get over the summer are under £4895-but because it says holiday work, am I not eligible?

I am a bit confused, that is all.

Oh, I'll attach the form I got off the website, if that is any help too.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As far as I know, if your yearly earnings don't go over the £4895 limit, you won't be taxed.
    Nop you won't be taxed if your earnings are under the peraonl allowance limit. If you have been charged tax whilst ou've been working term time, you can claim it back.
    Remember, the tax year starts on the 6th April, how much have you earned since then? You will be fine!
    As long as you keep an eye on your total pay you will be fine. If you do end up earning over your personal allowance the overpayment will be collected in a following tax year