Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

michael howard makes a mistake

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13335999,00.html
TORY DID NOT WASH HANDS Tory leader Michael Howard, who has vowed to clear hospitals of the MRSA superbug if elected, forgot to wash his hands during a visit to patients. Mr Howard, who lost his mother-in-law to a hospital acquired infection, has made fighting the superbug a key election pledge. But he failed to follow basic procedures aimed at halting the spread of MRSA on a visit to London's National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. Mr Howard had carefully scrubbed up before entering the Lady Ann Allerton ward. However, he did not repeat the process between shaking hands with patients Sallie Hillman and Sophie Merrington. Catherine Cook, the hospital's infection control nurse, said hands should be cleaned "before you touch a patient and after you touch a patient". Afterwards a Conservative party spokesmnan expressed "regret" for the incident. He said: "Michael Howard washed his hands with alcohol gel before he entered the ward and at least a further three times when he was on the ward," it said. "If he inadvertently failed to do so between these two patients he regrets this very much. "This issue, for very personal reasons, is one he takes extremely seriously." Earlier the Conservatives said they would invest £10m to enable all NHS hospital trusts to identify MRSA quickly by nasal swab testing. It is part of a previously announced 10-point Tory action plan to clean up hospitals. Mr Howard said: "In the fourth richest country in the world, more people die from infections they've picked up in hospitals than they do on our roads. That's 5,000 deaths each year: each death a tragedy for a family."
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1292445.jpg

sorry was too easy not to resist
  • Options
    "How hard is it to keep a hospital clean?"

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
  • Options
    "How hard is it to keep a hospital clean?"

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

not that hard. ive been a doctor for 6 years before i came to this country i had never seen a case of it
  • Options
    not that hard. ive been a doctor for 6 years before i came to this country i had never seen a case of it
    i take it your unemployed at the mo ...
  • Options
    not that hard.

You're right, it isn't.

Unless you have competitive tendering for cleaners.

A politician visiting.

Who then doesn't wash his hands, potentially passing an infection from one patient to another. Thus negating any cleaning which the hospital had done.
    ive been a doctor for 6 years before i came to this country i had never seen a case of it

For some reason I find that hard to believe, but assuming it's true, where did you come from?
  • Options
    i take it your unemployed at the mo ...

nope working in the NHS right now ( well not right now, but you know what i mean )
  • Options
    You're right, it isn't.

Unless you have competitive tendering for cleaners.

A politician visiting.

Who then doesn't wash his hands, potentially passing an infection from one patient to another. Thus negating any cleaning which the hospital had done.

For some reason I find that hard to believe, but assuming it's true, where did you come from?

canada
  • Options
    canada

Fair enough, welcome to the NHS. I'm sure it's an "experience" ;)

Just a note though, Canada certainly isn't immune, is it?

Not according to this survey in 1996. The report includes the comment "In the first 18 months of surveillance, 440 cases of MRSA were reported from 20 of the 21 participating hospitals".

Then as a follow-up there is this from 2005, which includes the comment "Surveillance for MRSA in CNISP hospitals has shown that MRSA rates continue to climb in Canadian hospitals. Rates of MRSA are now 10 times higher than they were when surveillance started in 1995".

Such articles then prompted the CBC to say report this which mentions 8,000 suspected fatalities and includes "CBC News' Investigative Unit has visited several Canadian hospitals and gathered disturbing information about their cleanliness and the lack of shared information between hospitals."

Atill, nothing to worry about in Canada then ;):p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I wasn't that hard until they begand getting in chartered cleaners not employed by the hospitals who didn't know what they were really meant to do.

NHS cleaners used to do a good job.
  • Options
    Labour spin cronies trying to make something out of nothing. Congratulations to everyone stupid enough to fall for spin like this. Real people in the NHS could not give a shit. When I am in hospitals I do not wash hands every time I shake a patients hand because you really do not need to. My friends in the NHS are greatly amused by people claiming they are angered by this incident, when really no one cares.
  • Options
    This isnt an issue.

What is an issue is how to best remove New Labours facist majority and restore respect for Parliament and the Rule of Law back into British politics.
  • Options
    Ah so youll be voting for those who admit to being wholly accountable and open to full transparent scrutiny by that "rule of law" they so readily preach? I for one would like to see such clear and unequivocal statements of principle from any of the Parties.

You truly are gullible Mat.
  • Options
    personally i see it as a lesson in it is quite hard to enfforce hospital policies, you dont need to put money into it you just need to ENSURE people always remeber to wash their hands, especially staff but visitors as well
  • Options
    When I am in hospitals I do not wash hands every time I shake a patients hand because you really do not need to. My friends in the NHS are greatly amused by people claiming they are angered by this incident, when really no one cares.

I'm not sure if you really are this stupid, or are just a troll trying to get an angry reaction. Either way, you are a prat.

Sadly, the attitude you suggest is all too prevalent (mainly amongst doctors I have to say) in that too many people don't see handwashing as a basic hygiene issue. It's why we end up with Norwark virus spreading like wildfire, it's one of the reasons why common colds spread so fast. And that's not even mentioning MRSA, which is actually less of an issue.

Personally, if you are telling the truth, I look forward to the day that you are personally sued for not treating people with due care.
    Matadore wrote:
    This isnt an issue.

The Tory party seems to think it is, it's the main basis of their campaign regarding the NHS. Cleanliness.

That Mr Howard doesn't take the basic precautions, whilst complaining that others don't, really sums up how worthless his comments have been.

What's his line "my monther died of a hospital acquired infection", well funnily enough that could have been because he didn't wash his hands then either - or at least because someonbody involved in her care didn't. He could also have passed an infection on yesterday. What will he say to the realatives if, god forbid, that has happened?
  • Options
    My friends in the NHS are greatly amused by people claiming they are angered by this incident, when really no one cares.

i fucking care!