Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What makes a woman a woman?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act of 2005 (Senate Bill 51 and House Bill 356), a definition of woman is contained within...

"WOMAN- The term `woman’ means a female human being who is capable of becoming pregnant, whether or not she has reached the age of majority."

House and Senate deemed it appropriate. :yeees:

My grandmother is not a woman as she has gone through the menopause. My aunt is not a woman as she has been sterilised. My friend is infertile, alas she is no longer a woman either. Don't even go there if you have chosen to be childfree!

I have never been pregnant, so I don't know if I'm capable of pregnancy - I guess I'm half and half.

Fertility is now the sole measure of womanhood? I'm glad to be on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to my reproductive system.

Comments

• Options
    Some people (mostly fundies and far right wing types) see women simply as a breeding machine and home-maker whose whole purpose in life is to have children and look after the all-important male of the species and the home.

Sadly in the US these people have reached positions of power.

Incredibly some women who should know better swallow this rubbish whole. It pisses me off how sometimes you read in the paper about some 'heart-warming' case of a woman who has finally managed to breed after many years of trying, and she declares how she finally feels’ realised’ or’ complete’ as a woman'.

Fair enough that they should be happy if they have managed to conceive after trying for years. But to suggest that they weren’t ‘complete’ as women until a baby has popped out is ludicrous…
  • Options
    What makes a woman a woman?

Boobies!

Appologies :blush:
  • Options
    The XX chromosome combination.
  • Options
    Being able to multi-task.

And unable to read a map.

;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

;)

Insisting that it's entirely necessary to own 30+ pairs of shoes.

;)
  • Options
    If the jury feels the law is unjust, we recognize the undisputed power of the jury to acquit, even if its verdict is contrary to the law as given by a judge, and contrary to the evidence. -

4th Circuit Court of Appeals, US v Moylan, 1969

Christ I wish I was an American juror.

I'm a woman!

No I'm not. :D
  • Options
    Boobies!

Men can have breasts too ;) :yes: (and get breast cancer, even though it's very very rare).
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Men can have breasts too ;) :yes: (and get breast cancer, even though it's very very rare).

What some men may have are far from breasts. They may be fat, or false, but they're not lovely yummy boobies!
  • Options
    a good man.
  • Options
    lamp boy wrote:
    Some people (mostly fundies and far right wing types) see women simply as a breeding machine and home-maker whose whole purpose in life is to have children and look after the all-important male of the species and the home.

I think you should change 'far right wing types' to Muslim types (who believe woman should not show any part of their body in public under any circumstances and should turn their away from any man who is not a family member) and Asians who firmly believe a woman’s place in the home, unlike our right wing leaders.

No who is more repressive?

bushpic.jpg

20040924002810301.jpg
  • Options
    And I would have got into the party GWB is obviously at without a suit on?
  • Options
    I think you should change 'far right wing types' to Muslim types (who believe woman should not show any part of their body in public under any circumstances and should turn their away from any man who is not a family member) and Asians who firmly believe a woman’s place in the home, unlike our right wing leaders.

bushpic.jpg

20040924002810301.jpg

You should change your name to "Born Stupid"

If you had read the thread properly, you'll have noticed that go_away was talking about a senate bill i.e. from the US. Which is why Aladdin talked about 'some' right wing types and fundamentalists having that kind of opinion about women. These types of people span all religions and countries - ive heard plenty of people over here talk about a woman's 'place' being in the home with the kids etc.

Stop chatting shit
  • Options

[photo of monkey dancing here]

[photo that doesn't represent the 1bn-strong Muslim religion here]
    Talking shit as ever...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    Insisting that it's entirely necessary to own 30+ pairs of shoes.

;)

And the equivilent amount of handbags, which contain a supprising amount of crap stuff. Having NO sense of direction is a must too! :p

Well, I would say its genetic. E.g: You have the XX Chromosone combination as above.
  • Options
    Boobies!

Appologies :blush:
    Some men I know have them...
  • Options
    dont skit, i was helpng someone build a computer one day, and one of my housemates had a screwdriver in her handbag

out of my three housemates (all female), 2 of them have their own screwdriver kits, neither are gay, very much straight, and dear lord, their get into their diy and decorating more than ido
  • Options
    Born Slippy,

If you had read the thread properly, you'll have noticed that go_away was talking about a senate bill i.e. from the US. Which is why Aladdin talked about 'some' right wing types and fundamentalists having that kind of opinion about women. These types of people span all religions and countries - ive heard plenty of people over here talk about a woman's 'place' being in the home with the kids etc.

Stop chatting shit

You should change your name to the usual dickhead.
  • Options
    *gets big stick, gives thread a good stir*
    The XX chromosome combination.

So, are you ruling out transexuals then?
  • Options
    I would Kent.
  • Options
    There are also genetic abnomalities e.g. Klinefelters syndrome - XXY sex chromosomes. But I *think* they are born male. Affects 1 in 500
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Incredibly some women who should know better swallow this rubbish whole. It pisses me off how sometimes you read in the paper about some 'heart-warming' case of a woman who has finally managed to breed after many years of trying, and she declares how she finally feels’ realised’ or’ complete’ as a woman'.

Fair enough that they should be happy if they have managed to conceive after trying for years. But to suggest that they weren’t ‘complete’ as women until a baby has popped out is ludicrous…

It is their biological/evolutionary purpose, to be brutally honest.
  • Options
    True. If a woman (from a strictly evolutionary perspective) can't have children, what's the point?
  • Options
    Being a woman is only part of your identity. If you choose to be a woman then you are one reguardless of what's between your legs. Gender is unimportant on the physical plane anyway.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    True. If a woman (from a strictly evolutionary perspective) can't have children, what's the point?

By that logic, a man's only purpose is to impregnate women so they can have children. But men aren't defined solely by this, so why should women?
  • Options
    By that logic, a man's only purpose is to impregnate women so they can have children. But men aren't defined solely by this, so why should women?

Evolutionarily speaking, that is man's main purpose...

The trick is, to think why? Why do we exist? Why do we act as we do, have the same interests/pursuits/drives...it's all linked to our evolutionary purpose.

We are designed to procreate - and little else.

Obviously we have evolved to extent where we lead individual lives of our own choosing, have interests other than procreation, but at the root of us all, is that basic instinctive drive.
  • Options
    the two strongest urges or driving forces in a human are thirst and sex.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Evolutionarily
    We are designed
    evolved .
    make your mind up!
    designed or evolved?
  • Options
    the two strongest urges or driving forces in a human are thirst and sex.

It's actually fire before either of those two. Every single one of us is hardwired to stop whatever we are doing and go check if we smell something burning. Seems weird but it's true.
  • Options
    Now who would I choose to believe more: the women who choose to wear the jilbab saying that it is, in fact, empowering because it lifts women above the role of sex object, or a reknowned racist. Hmm, decisions decisions.

Aladdin, I would be careful not to criticise women who feel that their life is not complete without a child. For many women it is not, and it has nothing to do with social pressures and everything to do with the innate natural desire to procreate. Not all women have this desire, but those who do should never be condemned for it, as it makes the condemnor as bad as those who would leave all women tied to the kitchen sink.
  • Options
    I admit it completely. if women's sole purpose is to procreate, then so is man's.