Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

uni tuition fees

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its about access not ability.

He hadn't thought anything through before posting back.
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its about access not ability.

but were not talking about access ( at least we werent at the beginning of the thread ). i think JUST about everyone agrees that everyone should have access to education. What were talking about is whether you should pay or the taxpayers. Student loans are there for just that reason, whether rich or poor, anyone can go, now its your choice if you decide not to go because you dont want to be saddled with debt, i just think that is a very short sighted cop-out.

come on were talking about 30 to 40 pounds a month for student loans ( you can pay more to pay it off quicker, or keep payments low until your pay rises, whatever you like )

why should the 18 year old kid that decided he wanted to not go to university have to pay for his buddy that did go.
    but were not talking about access ( at least we werent at the beginning of the thread ). i think JUST about everyone agrees that everyone should have access to education. What were talking about is whether you should pay or the taxpayers. Student loans are there for just that reason, whether rich or poor, anyone can go, now its your choice if you decide not to go because you dont want to be saddled with debt, i just think that is a very short sighted cop-out.

come on were talking about 30 to 40 pounds a month for student loans ( you can pay more to pay it off quicker, or keep payments low until your pay rises, whatever you like )

why should the 18 year old kid that decided he wanted to not go to university have to pay for his buddy that did go.

I see what your saying but why is the line drawn at university education? Why not cut state funding for education after high school, or before?
    I see what your saying but why is the line drawn at university education? Why not cut state funding for education after high school, or before?

i would cut state funding for education passed high school, thats what were talking about isnt it?

No, its about access - read the thread.

Is it bollocks £30 - £40/month. I'm paying £85/month on a fairly low salary.

Because it benefits society as a whole.
    Anyone who doesn't want to pay for uni, should never get educated (teachers need a degree), or medical treatment (because doctors and nurses need them too), never use anything that ever needed an engineer (because, you guessed it, another degree subject) never be represented in court and so on and so forth. It's harsh, but then so is not being able to do what you can, and what you're good at because you can't afford it. ever.
    i would cut state funding for education passed high school, thats what were talking about isnt it?

So as soon as you hit 16 you should have to pay your own way in education. Getting into debt at 16 to pay for your own education seems a little extreme to me!
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its about access - read the thread.

Is it bollocks £30 - £40/month. I'm paying £85/month on a fairly low salary.

Because it benefits society as a whole.

actually I STARTED the thread, so i think i know what its about lol.

ah and your complaining that you got a good education, something that everyone in the world would like to have and all it costs you is 20 quid a week? dont go the the pub one night, there you go, paid for..... give me a break
    So as soon as you hit 16 you should have to pay your own way in education. Getting into debt at 16 to pay for your own education seems a little extreme to me!

you start university at 16 in this country? wow!!
    you start university at 16 in this country? wow!!

No, you leave high school at 16.
    No, you leave high school at 16.

ok so whats your point?

you dont actually pay for uni until you go.... then you dont actually start paying till you employed... whats the problem here?
    oh ok, you consider "a" levels or whatever they are as not part of high school right? ok i was thinking they were a part of high school
    ok so whats your point?

you dont actually pay for uni until you go.... then you dont actually start paying till you employed... whats the problem here?

I was trying to establish why you thought that education should be free up until a certain age was all. Why not charge parents on a similar scheme to send their kids to high school and college?
    I was trying to establish why you thought that education should be free up until a certain age was all. Why not charge parents on a similar scheme to send their kids to high school and college?

because i believe secondary school should be free ( well its not really free, it is payed by the taxpayers ) but that "higher education " should be payed for by the student

So no one else is allowed to post, offer opinions, expand the debate 'cos its your thread? Oh dear.
    ah and your complaining that you got a good education, something that everyone in the world would like to have and all it costs you is 20 quid a week? dont go the the pub one night, there you go, paid for..... give me a break

You missed the point, which is (for the umpteenth time), its about access and education being something that is not merely about money.

erm what happens if someone doesnt go to the pub?

£20 is a days work to someone less well off
    because i believe secondary school should be free ( well its not really free, it is payed by the taxpayers ) but that "higher education " should be payed for by the student

Are you originaly from the U.S?

I think we might be talking at crossed purposes:

High School: 11 - 16
    College: 16 - 18
    University 18+
    oh ok, you consider "a" levels or whatever they are as not part of high school right? ok i was thinking they were a part of high school

Nope. I went to a tertiary college to get mine.
    Blagsta wrote:
    So no one else is allowed to post, offer opinions, expand the debate 'cos its your thread? Oh dear.

You missed the point, which is (for the umpteenth time), its about access and education being something that is not merely about money.

but your driving me nuts, you seem to be saying that just because something costs money it is restrictive in who can access it... thats bullshit
    but your driving me nuts, you seem to be saying that just because something costs money it is restrictive in who can access it... thats bullshit

So something that cost money is not restricted to poor people? Hmmm...
    MrG wrote:
    erm what happens if someone doesnt go to the pub?

£20 is a days work to someone less well off

give me a break, 20 pounds is not a days pay for a university graduate. then they would be on 4800/year. sorry but again... its bullshit
    everyone is born equal, but after that they differ as some people come from poor backgrounds

i have personally seen some of the brightest minds come from the darkest and poorest places, and you are saying that they can afford it?
    give me a break, 20 pounds is not a days pay for a university graduate. then they would be on 4800/year. sorry but again... its bullshit

if you can read you plonk, i said £20 is not to be sniffed at because it is a days work to someone who has a low paid job

Read the fucking thread.
    Are you originaly from the U.S?

I think we might be talking at crossed purposes:

High School: 11 - 16
    College: 16 - 18
    University 18+

no from canada, we pay for our university education, and everyone has one. ( actually it has got so bad that alot of people that just take there bachelor of art degree end up pumping gas at the petrol station, because so many people have degrees now that it just doesnt mean what it used to )
    i think the lot of us look too far into things,

people these days think too much of the "should we do this"
    why cant people be saying "can we do this"

and educate great minds and keep this country in the highstanding that it still has in many places around the world, because of international contribution through bright minds
    Blagsta wrote:
    So something that cost money is not restricted to poor people? Hmmm...

not if it doesnt matter what there financial position is when they take the debt, only what it will be after the education. any university graduate is going to be able to afford to repay student loans. it might not be easy, but it can be done, but if they want a first class education then that is a price they have to pay
    MrG wrote:
    if you can read you plonk, i said £20 is not to be sniffed at because it is a days work to someone who has a low paid job

and like i said, someone with a university degree and a job isnt going to be making 20 pounds/day. get over it
    in the UK we sort of have to pay tuition fees up front, and only get limited support with them

so you need the money before you go there, when we say saddled in debt, they actually become poorer, rather than havong borrowed money dissappear
    MrG wrote:
    i think the lot of us look too far into things,

people these days think too much of the "should we do this"
    why cant people be saying "can we do this"

and educate great minds and keep this country in the highstanding that it still has in many places around the world, because of international contribution through bright minds

and the US and canada dont have these bright minds huh? in both countries students pay for there education ( although i am NOT commending the american system ). just because you offer free education doesnt mean you will get the brightest minds.. quite the opposite i believe. the institutions themselves would be better in a student sponsored scheme