Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

uni tuition fees

should they get rid of University tuition fees?

i must say when i came to this country for the first time and foiund out that your uni's were free i was absolutely shocked. it blew my mind.

when i found out my wife and her friends all got there education for free for 5 or 6 years,i actually thought they were shitting me lol, i had to pay over 100000 for mine.

Craig
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scottish students get free tuition but some have to pay £2000 graduate endownment.

English and Welsh students pay out their noses.
  • Options
    but they should pay, why should the government pay for it? or in effect why should the average taxpayer have to pay for it?

In canada everyone pays for there uni education, the only thing the government gets involved in is making sure anyone and everyone who wants to go to uni can. they do this by being the guarantee on the student loan, students still have to get a student loan from a high street bank, but they can not be refused for this loan, as the government takes the risk away from the bank by being the guarantor. you dont have to start payinmg the loan off until your employed and making a certain amount per year. you can take out the student loan to just cover your tuition ( or part of it if you have saved money ) or your tuition and living expenses, so you need not work during uni,.
  • Options
    Why should people pay?
  • Options
    So the government and banks can decide what gets investigated and who does the investigations.

Remember - if they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers you come up with.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why should people pay?

people are always going to pay, if the students dont pay then we as the taxpayers will pay, so who do you think should pay? the students for there own eduction, or the taxpayer?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So the government and banks can decide what gets investigated and who does the investigations.

Remember - if they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers you come up with.

lol what the hell are you talking about? investigates? what investigation?
  • Options
    Well, if the government or the banks are picking up the tab, there aren't going to be many think tanks for reducing government, or alternatives to a monetary system being invented.

You might see a lot of effort going into weapons research and ways to control populations through psychological techniques, as opposed to something like ways to make dumb people smarter.

Also you have the wondeful position of feeding intelligent folk the facts that they need to reach the conclusions that you want them to.

You get the idea.
  • Options
    people are always going to pay, if the students dont pay then we as the taxpayers will pay, so who do you think should pay? the students for there own eduction, or the taxpayer?

Under the current system, the taxpayer.
  • Options

Those students will one day become taxpayers and contribute to the education of the next generation.
  • Options
    the taxpayer...that way we all have some sort of equal opportunity...
  • Options
    ok but you havent said why you think students shouldnt have to pay for thier own education
  • Options
    You haven't said why they should. Personally I think that education should be a right of everyone, not just the few who can afford it.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    the taxpayer...that way we all have some sort of equal opportunity...

but there is equal opurtunity with the system i mentioned, anyone and everyone who wants to go to uni can go
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why should people pay?

Why should I pay to educate a person, who has a high chance of going on in life to make more money than I ever did?

More to the point, why should all of you pay for me to learn a skill, with which I'm going to be earning £xxxxx per year?

Simple answer - I shouldn't, you shouldn't. We go to university to better our prospects, which means we'll end up earning more money than someone who hasn't gone. Why should the person who didn't go pay to fund the education of someone who did go?
    Blagsta wrote:
    You haven't said why they should. Personally I think that education should be a right of everyone, not just the few who can afford it.

Everyone has the right, and the means, to go through university. Many people have gripes with having to pay for it - I can't think of a fairer way to pay for ones education than borrow the money up-front from the government, and pay it back when one is earning.

The point is anyone can afford it - it isn't down to how much you earn, or your parents earn - it's about whether you're prepared to take on £12-18k of debt for a lifetime of higher earning potential.

--Burpy
  • Options
    because the future of any economy relies on academically educated and intelligent folk.........the problem is these days there are too many degrees being offered that wont contribute in any measurable way, and hence a lot of students studying these mickey mouse degrees..............dont get me wrong, let people study sports science if they want to, but i believe there should be more financial incentive for those studying an academic subject........we after all will be contributing directly to the future of this economy, so paying for a necessary education is in effect just another tax.........
  • Options
    I have no idea about Canada, but in the UK, getting saddled with a massive student debt puts loads of people off going to university.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

it would be a right under the system i stated, like ive said many times, anyone would be able to go to uni, but they would pay. this whole mentality of getting something for nothing really surprises me
  • Options
    Why should I pay to educate a person, who has a high chance of going on in life to make more money than I ever did?

More to the point, why should all of you pay for me to learn a skill, with which I'm going to be earning £xxxxx per year?

Simple answer - I shouldn't, you shouldn't. We go to university to better our prospects, which means we'll end up earning more money than someone who hasn't gone. Why should the person who didn't go pay to fund the education of someone who did go?

--Burpy

For all the reasons already mentioned.
  • Options
    it would be a right under the system i stated, like ive said many times, anyone would be able to go to uni, but they would pay.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have no idea about Canada, but in the UK, getting saddled with a massive student debt puts loads of people off going to university.

this whole mentality of getting something for nothing really surprises me

Its not though is it? If people go to uni, end up earning more, they end up paying more tax.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

it shouldnt, sure you get saddled with debt, but you are also making more money when you graduate, it all evens out in the short term, in the long term the student who spent the money will be better off than the person who didnt go into debt but also doesnt have the education
  • Options
    it shouldnt, sure you get saddled with debt, but you are also making more money when you graduate, it all evens out in the short term, in the long term the student who spent the money will be better off than the person who didnt go into debt but also doesnt have the education

It does though. I graduated in 2002 with over £15,000 debt. I probably won't ever be in a position to pay it off. Lots of people I talk to at work (I'm an education and employment worker) are put off because of being saddled with debt.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not though is it? If people go to uni, end up earning more, they end up paying more tax.

give me a break, whether they end up paying more tax or not they still are making loads more than the AVERAGE person who didnt go to uni
  • Options
    give me a break, whether they end up paying more tax or not they still are making loads more than the AVERAGE person who didnt go to uni

They are paying more tax back in, they are making more money for the economy. You're a believer in making money for the economy aren't you?
  • Options

not really, alot of people who do liberal arts degrees earn les in thier entire lifetime than those who left schoool at 18 and started to work.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It does though. I graduated in 2002 with over £15,000 debt. I probably won't ever be in a position to pay it off.

then you really picked a crappy degree, you should easily be able to pay that off in 2 or 3 years, 4 atr the most, then your prospects are better than the person who didnt go to uni, and are stuck at that finacial level for good
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For all the reasons already mentioned.

What reasons? Do you have any thoughts on the matter of your own, or are you just bouncing off the opinions of someone else?
    Personally I think that education should be a right of everyone, not just the few who can afford it.

Everyone can afford it. The debt, when spread out over the 40-something years most graduates will be earning for, is much, much smaller than the increase in salary they have for having the degree.
    Blagsta wrote:
    It does though. I graduated in 2002 with over £15,000 debt. I probably won't ever be in a position to pay it off. Lots of people I talk to at work (I'm an education and employment worker) are put off because of being saddled with debt.

No disrespect intended here, but if you aren't capable of paying off £15k over 5 years, you should have a look at living within your means, or consider a change of career as you've done something rather wrong.

--Burpy
  • Options
    What reasons? Do you have any thoughts on the matter of your own, or are you just bouncing off the opinions of someone else?

I suggest you actually read the thread before sticking your oar in.
    Everyone can afford it. The debt, when spread out over the 40-something years most graduates will be earning for, is much, much smaller than the increase in salary they have for having the degree.

--Burpy

Nonsense.
    Blagsta wrote:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    not really, alot of people who do liberal arts degrees earn les in thier entire lifetime than those who left schoool at 18 and started to work.
    well dont even get me started on liberal arts degrees
  • Options
    well dont even get me started on liberal arts degrees

Go on, it should be good for a laugh.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I suggest you actually read the thread before sticking your oar in.

Nonsense.

Oh I read the thread, I just couldn't find any information from yourself prior to my post. Other than:-

And you think that paying £15k back over 40 years, whilst earning £5k per year more than if you didn't have the degree, is nonsense?

How did someone with such narrow-minded views actually graduate?

--Burpy