Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

aliens

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It counts as a debate! :shocking:

fairy nuff. :angel:
  • Options
    chemlab the universe is not infinate.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

As homer said, it's a doughnut shape :) so it keeps going round and round on itself :p

Well, no one really knows.
  • Options
    I think the human race will be extinct before we meet aliens, most species (excepting the crocidile :p, which lived a bit longer) only last a few million years, if that. And humans are an unsustainable life form, think of it like the wolf becoming such a deadly predator that it eats all of its prey. And dies. And then a less efficient predator evolves but survives because it is sustainable.

The theory of evolution is beautiful :)

BUT you are comparing other unintelligent earth life forms to us.... our saving grace is that we can spread out from this planet.... if and this is a BIG if, we can colonize other worlds then we have a fighting chance at survival, we would have to spread out far and wide, so that the possibility of a supernova couldnt get us all. i think if we can last the next 100 years here then we have a good chance, by then it doesnt really matter what happens to the earth, we will still have good size colonies elsewhere.. some will say 100 years is too short, but technology is advancing in quantum leaps.

Craig
  • Options
    As homer said, it's a doughnut shape :) so it keeps going round and round on itself :p

Well, no one really knows.

actually at this point in time the universe IS infinate, as it is expanding at an accelerating rate, therefore if its expanding it has no end and is therfore infinate, but there is some debate as to whether it will in the future slow then stop and start to contract. these theories seem to be the 2 main theories.

Then again i think the chance that they are all wrong is more possible, i think it is just beyond our comprehesion and current knowledge. our knowledge of the universe is comparable to an ameoba's knowledge of the earth i believe

Craig
  • Options
    But what does that have to do with the presence of extra terrestial life on other planets?
  • Options
    It may expand infinatly but that does not mean it is infinate. If it was bigger today than yesterday how can it be infinate.
  • Options
    does anyone believe what is supposed to have happend at roswell?....i think i do.
  • Options
    i think if we can last the next 100 years here then we have a good chance, by then it doesnt really matter what happens to the earth

100 years? slightly pessimistic....and unrealistic don't you think? :crazyeyes
    technology is advancing in quantum leaps.

Oh yes. I've bought myself a plot on the moon. Bargain for £50.
    And for my 90th birthday I'm getting myself cryogenitically frozen.
  • Options
    100 years? slightly pessimistic....and unrealistic don't you think? :crazyeyes

Oh yes. I've bought myself a plot on the moon. Bargain for £50.
    And for my 90th birthday I'm getting myself cryogenitically frozen.

we cant even imagine what technology will be like in 100 years, litteraly cant imagine it. 100 years ago they didnt think the car would last more than a few months, let alone imagine that we would be sending men to the moon, or sending probes past pluto.... as it stands now computers are doubling in power in less than a year, in the next few years they will come out with the celluar computer, that will be 1000's of times more powerful than anything around right now, and it will fit on a fingernail. this is an advancement that is already here, they just need to work out a few small ( and some not quite so smal ) bugs.

I dont think im being overly optimistic that in 100 years we will have colonized other planets. it wont be government that does it, but big business that will do it..

Craig
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    does anyone believe what is supposed to have happend at roswell?....i think i do.

Im not sure on this one... it seems to really too much on peoples testimony and little on hard evidence
  • Options
    we cant even imagine what technology will be like in 100 years, litteraly cant imagine it. 100 years ago they didnt think the car would last more than a few months, let alone imagine that we would be sending men to the moon, or sending probes past pluto.... as it stands now computers are doubling in power in less than a year, in the next few years they will come out with the celluar computer, that will be 1000's of times more powerful than anything around right now, and it will fit on a fingernail. this is an advancement that is already here, they just need to work out a few small ( and some not quite so smal ) bugs.

I dont think im being overly optimistic that in 100 years we will have colonized other planets. it wont be government that does it, but big business that will do it..

Craig

But what does this have to do with bloody aliens? Looks to me like you're just wanting to mention something about technology like you've done in RK's thread, Theres more than enough oil to last for the next 50 to 60 years, but we do need to start to think of other sources of energy, and well lets face it, renewable energy just isnt going to cut it, even the most hard core enviromental scientist are now starting to say that it just isnt feasible, with the technology at hand, well see what the next 30 years brings...

Stick to topic.
  • Options
    But what does this have to do with bloody aliens? Looks to me like you're just wanting to mention something about technology like you've done in RK's thread, Theres more than enough oil to last for the next 50 to 60 years, but we do need to start to think of other sources of energy, and well lets face it, renewable energy just isnt going to cut it, even the most hard core enviromental scientist are now starting to say that it just isnt feasible, with the technology at hand, well see what the next 30 years brings...

Stick to topic.

topics evolve
  • Options
    then make your points interesting, or valid. You asked about aliens and then randomly went on to talk about how our "only saving grace was to colonise other planets..."

:nervous:
  • Options
    then make your points interesting, or valid. You asked about aliens and then randomly went on to talk about how our "only saving grace was to colonise other planets..."

:nervous:

obviously its interesting enough, it has you replying.....

and if you look back the topic had already started to evole, it wasnt about aliens anymore, it had gone on to cosmology.
  • Options
    It is a good thread, but I didn't really get to hear a whole lot of responses to the original question and was trying to direct it back to it.

To be honest I don't even know what anyone is trying to debate now :no:
  • Options
    it would actually scare me even more to find out we are alone than finding out we aren't alone...

looking at the case of probability i'm sure there's either some super master race out there who's just got the technology for finding life in the universe and are coming for us or little oragnisms in the infacy of life, or something in between, what matters is they haven't found us, bastards!
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Wrong. It's been proven mathematically.
  • Options
    It is a good thread, but I didn't really get to hear a whole lot of responses to the original question and was trying to direct it back to it.

To be honest I don't even know what anyone is trying to debate now :no:

ah i see, well if you notice after i posted it the first few were fairly commical, so i had posted another noting that i didnt think it would get anywhere, maybe thats when it went off base, looks like its getting back on track now
  • Options
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    Wrong. It's been proven mathematically.

"The shape of the universe is determined by a struggle between the momentum of expansion and the pull of gravity. The rate of expansion is expressed by the Hubble Constant, Ho, while the strength of gravity depends on the density and pressure of the matter in the universe. If the pressure of the matter is low, as is the case with most forms of matter we know of, then the fate of the universe is governed by the density. If the density of the universe is less than the "critical density" which is proportional to the square of the Hubble constant, then the universe will expand forever. If the density of the universe is greater than the "critical density", then gravity will eventually win and the universe will collapse back on itself, the so called "Big Crunch". However, the results of the WMAP mission and observations of distant supernova have suggested that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating which implies the existence of a form of matter with a strong negative pressure, such as the cosmological constant. This strange form of matter is also sometimes referred to as the "dark energy". If dark energy in fact plays a significant role in the evolution of the universe, then in all likelihood the universe will continue to expand forever. "

If the universe is infinate in size how come its size is determined by gravity?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    If the universe is infinate in size how come its size is determined by gravity?

That theory relies on gravity being a constant force throughout the universe. We've no proof that it is.

I'll try and find the article about the infinite nature of the universe (and post it in a language people can understand, rather than the C&P nightmare above).
  • Options
    What was hard to understand in it? Surely if you understood the mathematical equation that proves your point surely you can comprehend a little prose.
  • Options
    I'm only thinking about getting some facts in without frying people's brains.

It's been a long day, and reading chunks of text with no paragraphs makes my eyes bleed. ;)
  • Options
    Can i have a translation please? :p Physics isn't my strong point!
  • Options
    Can i have a translation please? Physics isn't my strong point!

A few years ago Hubble noticed that all stars are moving away from us at a constant rate. All of them. So either the universe is expanding or light behaves in a decidely funy way a long way away.

It's easiest if you think of the universe as a glass of water, slowly being heated (because of stars). The water expands, but eventually the fuel for the fire burns out and the water will return to it's original size. Hubbles constant is the rate of expansion relative to our small solar system.

(To the physics guys, I realise this is massivley over-simplified, it's just a guide for scytherchick.)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    (To the physics guys, I realise this is massivley over-simplified, it's just a guide for scytherchick.)

But probably the best way to explain it. Well played.

The fact that distant stellar bodies have been noted to be moving away from us implies expansion.

The whole thing about Hubbles Constant is quite hotly debated, with expansion rates varying from theory to theory.
  • Options
    yes saome say it will expand continually, whileothers say that it will eventually start to contract right back to the size at the big bang, although that is another debated area, some say there is no size at the big bang, but that is was just infinately small ( just keeps getting smaller and smaller )
  • Options
    The whole thing about Hubbles Constant is quite hotly debated, with expansion rates varying from theory to theory.

Some of the problems about this that I know about are the use of standard candles such as cepheids to measure relative distance. Another is that the expansion might be due to local factors, and not replicated elsewhere in the universe. We have no knowledge of what is helping relative to other areas.

Hubble was a strange man as well, the dissappearing body story being my favourite.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    A few years ago Hubble noticed that all stars are moving away from us at a constant rate. All of them. So either the universe is expanding or light behaves in a decidely funy way a long way away.

It's easiest if you think of the universe as a glass of water, slowly being heated (because of stars). The water expands, but eventually the fuel for the fire burns out and the water will return to it's original size. Hubbles constant is the rate of expansion relative to our small solar system.

And I'm very grateful...I can now keep halfway up with this theory of the universe stuff. :blush:
  • Options
    what an intellectual bomb site!