Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

aliens

ok ill start a new post here...

How many people believe in Aliens?

How many think we have been visited?

Obviously i believe in alien life somewhere out there, there are just too many stars/ star systems out there.. if only 1 out of a billion star systems are the same as ours then there would be millions of habitable planets out there, and thats just saying life as we know it, there can and will be astronomical numbers of other types of life forms, some that we might not even recognize as life forms.

Now as to whether we have been visited.. im unsure on this point... there just hasnt been any proof or even circumstancial evidence that there has been. im interested to hear what others have to say on this point.

Craig
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have you been watching doctor who
    The reptoids are working from thier secret undergorund lairs hatching a plot to enslave humans as we speak. We can expect no help from the greys, they are even worse.

Humans are doomed.
    Personally I think we should offer asylum to wookies who are fleeing intergalatic tyranny, but there are others who think that they just smuggle spice and rip off people's arms.
    The Royal Family are really alien lizards in human skin out to enslave us all. There is a cavern under Windsor Castle where the new lizards are bred and hatched. Look at their tongues.
    As it would take 7 hours just to get to pluto at the speed of light, if there are any they haven't been here.

Nearest star - Alpha Centari is 4.3 light years away.

There is a likelihood that the tinfoil hat wearing geeks like to espouse and that's the Drake equation of 1961.

What you do is go through all the criteria that are needed to get human life (or something like it) and work out the odds of it occuring. Then you take the number of stars and see what shakes out. Statistically it's quite likely that there are other humanesque creatures out there somewhere.

Even at phenomenal numbers like billions to 1 it's still a good bet that there are other "intelligent" (RK I am looking at you) lifeforms out there somewhere, because there are so many stars and planets. (A fucking lot)

This isn't proof though. So no belief in aliens here.
    lol, well, i guess im not going to get anything started on this topic then. sorry guys, at least i amussed you for awhile
    dude did you read klintocks responce, there's you answer
    dude did you read klintocks responce, there's you answer

I don't wish to be sceptical, but not neccessarily true. We used to believe the world was flat and many people didn't think that steam trains were possible because any speed over 30 mph would crush us.

All what he says is true with the current state of human knowledge - it doesn't mean that another civilisation has developed technology which is just so far in advance of us we cannot concieve of it
    ok true. I was more or less referring to his comments about the possibility of life on another planet and the odds that it would 1: have the ability to come here 2: have the desire to.
    I think their is. Whether or not their intelligent or not is another matter.

I once heard a theory about the UFOs were military air crafts and that the Govt said they were these UFOs to cover up top secret projects which is quite believable.
    Rich Kid wrote:
    The Royal Family are really alien lizards in human skin out to enslave us all. There is a cavern under Windsor Castle where the new lizards are bred and hatched. Look at their tongues.

Ha ha! I knew you were a troll!
    Blagsta wrote:
    Ha ha! I knew you were a troll!
    Pardon?
    doth you be incapable of reading?
    What you need to travel is either some kind of negative mass together with loads of inertial dampeners (stolen from the physics of star trek book), or you can use wormholes which are created when space is bent.

Have they travelled here? No
    Do they exist? Yes
    Do they sit at home on their computers pondering whether alien life is out there? Possibly :)
    The answer is yes, of course Aliens exist, if anything the statistical probabilty shows that.

Doesn't mean that they will have evolved in the same manner as we have, or at the same speed. Theoretically it is possible that the first life on this planet was "alien"...
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Pardon?

Hows Hull these days?
    NQA wrote:
    We used to believe the world was flat
    'some'... people used to believe it was flat.
    job wrote in the bible around 4,000 years ago that the globe of the earth was hanging on nothing.
    seems a lot of people chose to ignore him though ...for a very long time.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hows Hull these days?
    Explain?? :confused:
    klintock wrote:
    What you do is go through all the criteria that are needed to get human life (or something like it) and work out the odds of it occuring. Then you take the number of stars and see what shakes out. Statistically it's quite likely that there are other humanesque creatures out there somewhere.

Agreed, although actually - statistically speaking - it's almost certain that there are other lifeforms (humanoid or other), given that it's been mathematically proven that the universe is infinite.

In an infinite universe, there are no boundaries. If there are no boundaries, it cannot be proven that there are no other lifeforms, since no-one will ever explore the entirety of the universe to prove it.
    Even within the known Universe, given the almost inimaginable amount of star systems- most of which are now firmly believed to have planets- it would be practically impossible for life not have developed in some of them.

But unless some aliens have been travelling or sending signals for tens of millions of years in our direction, or unless faster-than-light travel is possible, the chances of us ever making contact with aliens (let alone meeting them) is remote.

It will probably happen at one point or other in the future. But so much as I'd love it to happen during our lifetime, it might not happen for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Even within the known Universe, given the almost inimaginable amount of star systems- most of which are now firmly believed to have planets- it would be practically impossible for life not have developed in some of them.

Well yes, given that the universe is infinite, the number of star-systems is, well...infinite.
    Aladdin wrote:
    But unless some aliens have been travelling or sending signals for tens of millions of years in our direction, or unless faster-than-light travel is possible, the chances of us ever making contact with aliens (let alone meeting them) is remote.

This is true: the infinite nature of the universe works both ways. It's unlikely that we'll ever meet aliens, and if we do, it's at a (statistically) highly improbable level.
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    it's at a (statistically) highly improbable level.
    not a problem if you fit an improbability drive.
    not a problem if you fit an improbability drive.

*Screams something about '42' and runs away*

I've an unpleasantly high expectation that the movie will be shit. :(
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    *Screams something about '42' and runs away*

I've an unpleasantly high expectation that the movie will be shit. :(
    if it is anything like the tv version then yes it will be.
    In actual fact, after the writings, the only other version I liked was the BBC Spoken Word.
    Maggie warned off an alien culture swamping this country and 25 years on Dr Who shows no loss in popularity and the Hitchhikers Guide is back!!! :crazyeyes
    Aladdin wrote:
    It will probably happen at one point or other in the future. But so much as I'd love it to happen during our lifetime, it might not happen for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years.

I think the human race will be extinct before we meet aliens, most species (excepting the crocidile :p, which lived a bit longer) only last a few million years, if that. And humans are an unsustainable life form, think of it like the wolf becoming such a deadly predator that it eats all of its prey. And dies. And then a less efficient predator evolves but survives because it is sustainable.

The theory of evolution is beautiful :)
    Why is this even in P&D? :confused:

There's probably microscopic algae on certain planets or what-not, but most likely nothing more complex.

On the other hand, to nick a quote from Calvin n Hobbes, "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".
    Why is this even in P&D? :confused:

There's probably microscopic algae on certain planets or what-not, but most likely nothing more complex.

On the other hand, to nick a quote from Calvin n Hobbes, "the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us".

It counts as a debate! :shocking:
    welsh = aliens.