Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

profit vs nutrition

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1469549,00.html

So much for the recent pledges, NuLabor keeps showing its true colours.

Comments

• Options
    That's just fucking disgusting. After Iraq, Labours most despicable act and biggest mistake was to allow private companies to get their filthy greedy hands on public services.
  • Options
    Why on earth the government persists with these ridiculous PFI schemes is beyond me.

I am not entirely against subcontracting to catering firms as long as it is well regulated and done properly but PFI contracts all seem to be a joke, 25 year contracts is quite obviously imbecilic..........
  • Options
    The government should be allowed to break the contract in my opinion.
  • Options
    Can the contracts not be challenged if the quality of food they're providing to young children is of doubtful nutrional value? Surely under the Human Rights Act the children deserve proper nutrional food not fat-filled rubbish.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Can the contracts not be challenged if the quality of food they're providing to young children is of doubtful nutrional value? Surely under the Human Rights Act the children deserve proper nutrional food not fat-filled rubbish.

I very much doubt if the government would be interested in doing so. Which is why we need a different government. :yes:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    I very much doubt if the government would be interested in doing so. Which is why we need a different government. :yes:
    which governement do you think would be more interested, and how do you think a different government would affect anything if there is a contract to these `service` providers? Surely if there is a contract, it will still be there whatever party gets in.
  • Options
    25 year contracts? jeezzzz
  • Options
    If 5 meals a week are making this nation's kids health suffer then thier parents need a course in how to feed them properly.
  • Options
    implementing the whole health food thing is not practical though really.. don't get me wring--i'm all for eating healthily--i control my diet strictly and do dailyt exercise, and i HATE the school canteen food.

however, our school has recently changed it's catering style to the jamie oliver way, as has my brother's.. and all that has happened is that people are leaving school at lunch times and going to the chippy. its an inescapable (sp?) fact that rubbish food is cheaper. the prices have gone up in the canteen and the portions have got smaller and so people are going elsewhere

and as far as i'm concerned the new food is still too high in calories.

the drinks machines which did contain diet coke, water, and other drinks with no calories have been changed to include 'juice drinks' which are full of additives, ribena and various other sugar filled, calorific drinks

so where's the gain

i think perhaps in primary schools its worthwhile..but here, where the students are 12-19, and capable of making a choice, its not working

i think i'll stick to my sandwiches
  • Options
    which governement do you think would be more interested, and how do you think a different government would affect anything if there is a contract to these `service` providers? Surely if there is a contract, it will still be there whatever party gets in.

LIb Dem or most left of NuLabor parties, imo.

Examine every possible way as long as it doesn't mean serving sub-standard food to a generation of children. rainbow brite, I don't have the exact answers just a strong desire to see a solution rather than accept this type of thing because its better than having the Tories back.
  • Options
    It's not a 25 year contract to provide junk food, presumably...so Scolarest can improve its menu if it gets the increased funding (and with the support of the parents). Sounds like a central government excuse for not increasing funding to all schools.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    That's just fucking disgusting. After Iraq, Labours most despicable act and biggest mistake was to allow private companies to get their filthy greedy hands on public services.

That summed it up rather well!
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    LIb Dem or most left of NuLabor parties, imo.

So any new government getting in would immediatly override any existing contracts?
    I dont think so. It doesnt work like that. The 25 year contract would still stand even if the monster raving looney party got in. The individual schools were stupid to sign a 25 year contract, and now its up to the companies who unfortunatly have got that contract to decide whether to give a shit about the children they are poisoning.
    Its not an election issue, and if any individual party started saying they would override the contract, then theyd be talking shit to try and win an election (I know its hard to believe this happens)
  • Options
    The Government could break the contract, but the chances are that it would then be forced to pay compensation (otherwise there's nor real point of contracts)
  • Options
    Surely they could pass legislation to put nutritional guidelines on scholl food contractors.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Surely they could pass legislation to put nutritional guidelines on scholl food contractors.........

then theyd distribute supplement pills

if they improve the quality of food theyll put the price by more than what the changes cost and theyll be more meagre portions

i lived off chip butties (which i knew were fresh potatoes and only potatoes and oil) and cola at school, cost me less than a quid and filled me up :thumb:

i ate good food at home 7 days a week twice a day so it made no difference to my health, surely thats a sign ;)
  • Options
    Incidentally, did anyone watch Supersize Me last night?

It had a few interesting things to say about the evils of fast food and its impact on children- and on school dinners
  • Options
    you could change the school dinner menus, its means sod all if the kids wont eat it, the fast food people never said theyre food is good for you, its people blaming them for their own irresponsibility

kids eat most of their food growing up by what their parents give them, surely that tells you something
  • Options
    But they are also greately influenced by marketing, advertising and 'bribes' in the shape of stupid toys.

There were some 4-5 year old kids interviewed in Supersize Me and none of them could identify George Washington or even Jesus Christ when shown a portrait of them. Every last one of them recognised and named Ronald McDonald though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But they are also greately influenced by marketing, advertising and 'bribes' in the shape of stupid toys.

There were some 4-5 year old kids interviewed in Supersize Me and none of them could identify George Washington or even Jesus Christ when shown a portrait of them. Every last one of them recognised and named Ronald McDonald though.

Also, what child is gonna eat a salad when they can have a Coke, burger and fries and get a toy thrown in too?
  • Options
    Thats that then. Ban McDonalds.

Aladdin have you read fast food nation? If you havnt its quite a good read.
  • Options
    It's been recommended to me several times and it's on my list of must-read books :)
  • Options
    Children's palates are not as mature as adults', and, as such, are responsive to the "good" flavours (i.e. the flavours evolution has meant we feel best about, as they are best for our survival). Sour and lean flavours are not welcomed as readily as fatty and sweet flavours, so in a direct choice children will eat the fatty, sugary crap instead of the healthier but bitter flavours.

Food manufacturers know this, so they put loads of fat and sugar into their products to make them taste more appealing to immature palates. That's why a child will choose baked beans ahead of green beans, and why most people put white sugar in their drinks instead of muscavado sugar.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    muscavado sugar.

:confused:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :confused:
    The really dark brown unprocessed and unrefined sugar.
  • Options
    Never heard of it I must say..........
  • Options
    i lived off chip butties (which i knew were fresh potatoes and only potatoes and oil) and cola at school, cost me less than a quid and filled me up :thumb:

i ate good food at home 7 days a week twice a day so it made no difference to my health, surely thats a sign ;)
    You were one of the lucky ones though, the majority of kids will eat crap at school and more crap at home. If every child were eating balanced meals at home then the school meals wouldn't be such a problem, but it isn't like that. Most parents are to busy and/or uneducated to feed their children good meals.
    Like I think someones said before, the government can't control what the children eat at home but they can at least help them to get a decent meal once a day at school.
  • Options
    You were one of the lucky ones though, the majority of kids will eat crap at school and more crap at home.
    Eating chip butties and cola every day is eating crap. Fresh potatoes deep fried in oil are not healthy if you eat them every day.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Eating chip butties and cola every day is eating crap. Fresh potatoes deep fried in oil are not healthy if you eat them every day.
    That wasn't what I meant. I meant that his chips and cola were crap but he said he ate two good meals other than that at home each day. I said that most kids don't get those two good meals, they just get more crap.
  • Options
    That wasn't what I meant. I meant that his chips and cola were crap but he said he ate two good meals other than that at home each day. I said that most kids don't get those two good meals, they just get more crap.
    Indeed. But his point, as I understood it, was that using fresh potatoes and oil meant that his chips were a healthy choice.