Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.

Social Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Right, well is anyone here either a social worker or have a family member who might help little ol me.

I'm currently in my 1st year doing a Social anthropology with Social policy degree. My plan is to either go into teaching (doing some teacher training this summer) or social work.

However i have recently been told that the only way into social work is through a direct social work degree. Is this true or are there other ways in??(i'm sure i've seen training schemes) I chose this degree because it kept my options open and it will be disappointing if i have to do another degree after. Any input is very welcome. :yippe:


  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can do a 2 year conversion course after your degree in social work ... but :yes: getting a professional qualification in social work, is the only way to get into it ... and if you do want to be a social worker, make sure you get plenty of work experience in a social care role first before you apply!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi There,

    My house mate is a youth worker who is ultimately looking to get into social work. She did a degree in politics but has been told that she will be able to get into the profession through doing a social work diploma and work experience. If you have a BA in social work then it is obviously a lot easier, but its not the only way.
Sign In or Register to comment.