Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tesco, Waitrose, Office World, Wickes, Sainburys, Homebase, B&Q

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    exconey wrote:
    Hi!

I'm new to this dog.
    I really want to work at Tesco part-time, it's a semi-ambition when I start university lol.

Well, having procrastinated long enough, I finally sent off a decent CV and they sent me back an application form with a somewhat demanding letter, I quote "please sent this back as soon as possible".

Now, either it was a standard mail-merge, or they're short and I might have a chance working there!

But, can I ask experiencee's, does this mean they're interested in me? Or am I going to receive a letter saying they have no vacancies.

How much will I be paid, i'm 18 in 3 weeks.

What is the job like.

And general experience working at Tesco's would be great.

I'll update you on my success.

Bye.

jesus slow down. you've not even had a bloody interview or application form yet!!

if they need staff at the minute, they'll send you an application form and then if you're successful you'll get an interview.

you'd probably get just over £4, i'm not sure. it would go up after 6 months and then a year.

and before you ask, i've worked there part time for the last 3 and a half years.

so until you hear from them, please do stop getting ahead of yourself.
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice and stuff, but correction, they HAVE sent me an application form.

If you read carefully and didn't assume I hadn't said something so quick, maybe I wasn't getting ahead of myself.

I was merely asking the masses, that because they HAVE sent me a form, does this mean there are vacancies etc.

My question was sucessfully answered above.
  • Options
    exconey wrote:
    I appreciate the advice and stuff, but correction, they HAVE sent me an application form.

If you read carefully and didn't assume I hadn't said something so quick, maybe I wasn't getting ahead of myself.

I was merely asking the masses, that because they HAVE sent me a form, does this mean there are vacancies etc.

you still are getting ahead of yourself really though! though i understand wanting to know how much you might be on should you get a job. i started when i was 16 and earned about £3.60 an hour i think. but obviously it would be more for you.

by the way why does it have to be tesco??
  • Options
    I prefer the adverts.
  • Options
    exconey wrote:

Just because you have an application form doesn't mean you're gonna get the job. I filled in an application form for Tesco and didn't even get an interview. So yes, you are getting ahead of yourself. And if you're too cocky they probably won't take you on.
  • Options
    but if they have not got any jobs at that time do they still keep peoples CV
    incase a vacancies do arrive?
  • Options
    gladiator wrote:
    but if they have not got any jobs at that time do they still keep peoples CV
    incase a vacancies do arrive?

Yeah I'd imagine a lot of places do that.
  • Options
    I don't think so, I would presume that if you've been given an application form personally, your chances are a LOT higher.

By the way, who's being cocky? someone being cocky? I just found it strange the way that was randomly chucked in there, no body's stupid enough to label someone cocky for being inquisitive.

Bye.
  • Options
    my freiend told me a better and easier way to apply is download their form
    from the website and send it 2 nearest tesco.
  • Options
    Well I have to admit, having sent off my TESO application form back to them one week ago, they haven't got back to me whatsoever.

Maybe they didn't like the self-test thingy, my hopes for TESCO are reducing now.

Cya.
  • Options
    They probably have a lot of things to do-give them a little more than a week. If you are that desperate, call them and enquire about your application.
  • Options
    Possibly, still a bit disappointing.
  • Options
    give it time! bare in mind that they probably have quite a few application forms to sort through.
  • Options
    I worked at Tesco for around 2 years on and off and I fucking hated it because it's a complete dump.

However, seeing as how Tesco are taking over the world, I feel it would be better to be with them rather than against them.
  • Options
    Has anybody on this site got any experience of giving TESCO a c.v, getting sent an application form, filling it in, sending it off and waiting ages but get a good reply?

No sarcastic of offensive replies please, if you dont like how impatient you think im being dont reply.
  • Options
    How has anyone been sarcastic or offensive about them taking their time to reply to you?
  • Options
    Well if you read above I have been described as various things.

Shame about Oxford, used to be a very elegant English town, now it is being over-commericalised and "Londonised".
  • Options
    i sent their online app form with a cover letter to all my locals stores
    asking for if they had any instore jobs and to keep my file on record plz so
    if i get a reply now or when ever does'nt really bother me
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Hey i worked on the customer service desk in sainsburys for nearly 4 years, and in relation to the application form topic, if they have forms they will give you one. not necessarily because they have vacancies and they keep your information for 3 months usually afterwards in case a job comes up. and i can only assume that tesco is the same. just because they have sent you the form please dont get your hopes up, just think that you aint got it, and apply for other places as well.
    good luck

p.s. if you get an interview and they ask you why u want to work for them say you enjoy dealing with the public and you feel customer service is a major part of a business. its what they wana hear. oh and remember you must be hard working if they ask!! lol! :)

xxx
  • Options
    Got an interview at TESCO - what should I expect? what will they ask me? what should I say? What type of person gets the job etc? any help will be good.
  • Options
    I worked at Sainsbury's for 9 months before I went to uni, I thought the pay was pretty fair, I started on £4.20 for JUST stacking shelves and according to how well the store did each month your pay would be increased, in those nine months it rose by £1.10 to £5.30...tho thats in a nice area of London and I did turn 18 during that time.

Still, I never imagined anyone would ever get £5.30 for working in a supermarket!
  • Options
    exconey wrote:
    Got an interview at TESCO - what should I expect? what will they ask me? what should I say? What type of person gets the job etc? any help will be good.

Maybe they'll ask you why a commisioned officer in the British Army wants to work in Tescos eh?
  • Options
    exconey wrote:

the type of person who gets the job is the type of person they want for the job. simple as. we don't know what they're after though.

however, i've worked at TESCO for 3 1/2 years. meaning my interview was a longggg time ago. i do remember them going through my application form with me and asking me questions like when do i remember having to take control of a situation and stuff like that. but the questions could well have changed in those few years. as long as you're well presented, polite and friendly...i can't see how you could go wrong. they seem to employ anything at TESCO nowadays!
  • Options
    hhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    i wouldn't say it'd be 7am-10pm. first off that's a hell of a long shift and secondly, it's too early really. i'd say 10am-7pm. but, the best thing you can do is ring up and ask. it'd be no use in you turning up late..!
  • Options
    Whatever you do, don't end up working on a checkout and demonstrate that you have a brain. You will be a supervisor in a couple of months and they will expect you to take responsibility for whenever some lunatic member of staff breaks into your cash office and nicks six grand.
  • Options
    Thanks Dr Carter, kindly discussing my career plans, but as a part-timer, i doubt there'd be much room for promotion.

Thanks Lucifer also, i think i will ring them up today.

Cya.
  • Options
    Who said I wasn't a part-timer :p
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't end up working on a checkout and demonstrate that you have a brain.

hang about.

i work on checkouts, and i have done for just over 3 and a half years. i have no desire to be promoted. this does not mean that i don't have a brain! it's only a part time job while i'm at uni. so i'd thank you to not refer to checkout people as being brainless! :grump: :impissed:
  • Options
    hang about.

i work on checkouts, and i have done for just over 3 and a half years. i have no desire to be promoted. this does not mean that i don't have a brain! it's only a part time job while i'm at uni. so i'd thank you to not refer to checkout people as being brainless! :grump: :impissed:

No, what he was saying is, if you do go on the checkout (because its possibly the most "demanding" of chores), don't show them that you have a brain, OTHERWISE, you'll be attacked by promotion..........I think he was being sarcastic.