Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tesco, Waitrose, Office World, Wickes, Sainburys, Homebase, B&Q

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody work/worked in any of the above places?

Cheers :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, B&Q a while ago.

Was alright.
    Is there any reason for your question? You applied to these places then?
    I don't work at any of them, but I know some ppl at some of them.
    Tesco. 3 years 3 months. Enough said.

ETA: still there now!
    used to work in tesco was there 3 1/2 yrs
    Basically all these places are local to me & i'm going to apply to them all:)

Just wondering what people get/got paid per hour.

As i've not had a job before then I don't know the 'going rate'
    Office wold doens't exist any more it's owned by Staples, just they haven't got round to converting them all yet. My ex is a manager for Staples though, he likes his work, I thought they treated him like shit, which he'll agree with, but becuse he hasn't complained it's meant he's got promoted loads and is now one of the most respected members of staff in the co.
    Yeah, i work at tesco's part time and have done for over 2 and half years :/

At tesco how much you get paid depends on how old you are, how long you've been there and what job you do.

I'm over 18, and work on the grocery department (basically i put things on shelves when i feel like it) and have been there over a year so I get £5.60 an hour, but apperently that's going up at the end of this month. Weee.

Tesco pay quite well tbh, Sainsburys are stingy fuckers.

ETA If you work a Sunday at tesco you get time and half. Which is not bad i guess cause that works out at about £8.30 an hour for me.
    £8.40 :p
    sainsburys. DO NOT do it full time.
    edited out.
    I work at Sainsburys.
    £4.92 an hour and I've been there 6 months so far
    It's not bad
    Sainsburys

Hi, just stumbled across this site whilst searching for info on Sainsburys!

Yeah I work for Sainsburys. I did work for Somerfield until they sold our shop.
    Its been Sainsburys just over a month, and already i've had my contracted hours more than doubled (7 to 16), I've had two pay rises already, and a promotion is mine when i want to take it (after i fail this year at uni and quit!)

I'd say they're good to work for. I've read a few people saying they're crap, but to be honest I can't see a single thing wrong with working for Sainsburys. Ultimately all supermarkets are the same, and as long as you work and not skive, and get on with those above you, theres no reason not to enjoy it! If you piss about at work and just annoy your supervisors then you deserve to be bullied! Those above you are affected by the performance of their department and if certain members of staff are affecting the department then they will be annoyed with you!

sainsburys current rates for those at the bottom of the ranking (ie checkout staff or shelf fillers) are £5.39ph if you're over 18, which is 60p more than Somerfield paid us.

I can't remember wot the <18s are on. a previous poster says he/she is on £4.92, i'm assuming thats for under 18s, which is 2p more than Somerfield pay the over 18s so not bad at all!!

Somerfield were also very good to work for btw! i'm not pulling Somerfield down here.

(I dont know if this pay rate varies throughout the company depending on store location/size etc, but thats what our store pays!)

As for the other companys mentioned...I have no experience of any of them

I can't remember wot the <18s are on. a previous poster says he/she is on £4.92, i'm assuming thats for under 18s, which is 2p more than Somerfield pay the over 18s so not bad at all!!

(I dont know if this pay rate varies throughout the company depending on store location/size etc, but thats what our store pays!)

Nope I'm over 18. I'm guessing that the my rate of pay is less than your's for some strange reason...maybe cos I haven't been there too long.

Oh yeah...I know where you work :p cos that sainsburys stole some of our staff when it opened
    Waitrose part time at moment. Not great but not that bad....Only moved there cos it was better hours than where I was previously (M&S). Waitrose has excellent benefits though, it's just the job itself which is very boring. (Benefits include annual bonus profit share thing as it's a partnership, you also can get a ticket subsidy on concert tickets you buy..So if you buy tickets to gigs they'll give you 50% of the cost of the ticket up to a max of £60 per year. You get that straight away too. Discount too at Waitrose and John Lewis). I think the pay depends where you are in the UK but it will probably start on £4.30something but the pay will go up quite quickly depending on your performance. You also get paid more for working on the deli counter than for working on a checkout or whatever. Good luck anyway with all your applications :p
    Sorry being naive but how do I go about applying to the places? Is it a case of responding to an advert in the newspaper:confused:
    You can just send CV's off to them (I think it's personnel they go to, but you can just send it directly to the store. It might help to find out a persons name to address it to). That's how I got my job at Tesco. Even if they have no jobs at the time, they should keep your details on file should an appropriate job come up.
    I suggest you go into the store and ask at customer services if they are currently recruiting and if you can have an application form. That's what I did
    Sparklie wrote:
    I work at Sainsburys.
    £4.92 an hour and I've been there 6 months so far
    It's not bad

Should be getting a pay rise sonn. i had £4.92 too now im on £6.00 - Woo £1.08p more :D

Sainsburys is ok, well it is at my store. Great people and can be real fun at times.
    You can just send CV's off to them (I think it's personnel they go to, but you can just send it directly to the store. It might help to find out a persons name to address it to). That's how I got my job at Tesco. Even if they have no jobs at the time, they should keep your details on file should an appropriate job come up.

Would sending a cover letter saying what kind of job i'm after along with my CV be a good idea? Would detailing saying any part/full-time available or 'I want to work only on the deli counter' be better?
    Crispy wrote:
    Would sending a cover letter saying what kind of job i'm after along with my CV be a good idea? Would detailing saying any part/full-time available or 'I want to work only on the deli counter' be better?

yeh a cover letter might be good. just say you're interested in a job with them but i wouldn't go into the specifics of when you can and can't work and where you would like to work. you'll be able to do that when/if you get an application form.
    sainsburys is ok for part time work. full time is a whole different ball game, have been there for six years. of course that may be exclusive to my two stores....but they do have a tendancy to shit on their staff from a great height.
    i worked for sainsburys for 1 and a half years and tbh i hated it.

i found out (in my store anyway) the managers didnt really treat you like adults (even though i was very good at my job), most of the staff there were cool, and some of the other managers were alright, its just the manager i had was a complete tit. oh well.

i do have to say that sainsburys never messed up my pay though, which was good.

btw i was working on fresh foods, which was shit as everything had to be date rotated when you were putting things out on the shelves, i also did some checkouts work, and i really enjoyed for some reason.
    jake0 wrote:
    i worked for sainsburys for 1 and a half years and tbh i hated it.

i found out (in my store anyway) the managers didnt really treat you like adults (even though i was very good at my job), most of the staff there were cool, and some of the other managers were alright, its just the manager i had was a complete tit. oh well.

i do have to say that sainsburys never messed up my pay though, which was good.

btw i was working on fresh foods, which was shit as everything had to be date rotated when you were putting things out on the shelves, i also did some checkouts work, and i really enjoyed for some reason.

Same, im on fresh and im starting to work full time :(
    So sainsburys @ the bottom of the pile then;)
    Tesco

Hi!

I'm new to this dog.
    I really want to work at Tesco part-time, it's a semi-ambition when I start university lol.

Well, having procrastinated long enough, I finally sent off a decent CV and they sent me back an application form with a somewhat demanding letter, I quote "please sent this back as soon as possible".

Now, either it was a standard mail-merge, or they're short and I might have a chance working there!

But, can I ask experiencee's, does this mean they're interested in me? Or am I going to receive a letter saying they have no vacancies.

How much will I be paid, i'm 18 in 3 weeks.

What is the job like.

And general experience working at Tesco's would be great.

I'll update you on my success.

Bye.
    exconey when you sent your cv Withe coverletter did u address it to a particular person or just the address. some think its important to adress it 2 real person.

as 4 the work i think its a lot better then office work which is what i do at
    least u get to be active
    Sainsburys is absolutely shit!!!!!

Nicebutdim has it spot on. Part time is usually ok, but full time- oh shit.

They make me sick and to be honest i cant really explain what happened as it really upsets me.

I started part time and finished after 3 1/2 years as a baker earning 5.93 an hour. Its shit that for a baker.

I got a dismissal(unfair), unfortunately the solicitors didnt think my case was strong enough for an employment tribunal, which was reccommended by my union rep. Im not sure i even trusted what the solicitor said to be honest. So long as the company followed 'criteria' they get off with anything. So unfair.

absolute bastards.

amazing how many people go off sick with stress.
    can anybody else answer my question?
    exconey wrote:
    can anybody else answer my question?
    If they've sent you an application form, they have vacancies. I sent CV's off to Tesco and I got back "we have no current vacancies". They won't give you a form if they don't need staff.