Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Imagine Another 5 Years .....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can you imagine another five years of Phoney Blair? Its enough to make you reach for your sick bag. I pray for a miracle.
http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=involved.advert.page

Comments

• Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Can you imagine another five years of Phoney Blair? Its enough to make you reach for your sick bag. I pray for a miracle.
    http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=involved.advert.page
    the prospect of another 5 mins of this shit makes me want to reach for the sick bag!
  • Options
    i think you are tony blairs bastard child,out for revenge!
  • Options
    seriously rich kid, i thnk this whole labour hate campaign has gone too far, it's annoying and is getting quite pathetic tbh, plus it's clogging the board up, why don't you make one single thread where you can slag "phoney" :rolleyes: blair and the likes...
  • Options
    Personally I don't see any major differences between the tories and labour
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

thats because there isn't...even between the lib dems aswell to a degree most policies are the same with we differences like...

rich kid still probably thinks labour are this ultra-left union supporting anarachist party or some weird shit like that...
  • Options
    he is constantly making the point that labour is a watered down tory party,yes it is!,so fucking what????? don't you think we can see this? but the most important fact is that it isnt the tory party! imo. at the moment we have the best of both worlds,sure there are issues with the government that i don't agree with,but they are not a reason to change the government......the tories made a complete bollocks of this country when they were in power,i just don't want to see history repeat itself....3 million+ unemployed?? no thanks.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    i do.
    a labour chancllor v a tory chancer.
    huge difference.
    did you know ...a mate of mine has started a small self employed situation ...so tyhis government give him a hundred and fifty quid a week and pay most of his rent ...for a year!
    can you imagine the tories doing that?
    labour are pouring millions into the nhs ...can you see the tories doing that?
    minimum wage?
    family tax credits?
  • Options
    dontcare.jpg
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    he is constantly making the point that labour is a watered down tory party,yes it is!,so fucking what????? don't you think we can see this? but the most important fact is that it isnt the tory party! imo. at the moment we have the best of both worlds,sure there are issues with the government that i don't agree with,but they are not a reason to change the government......the tories made a complete bollocks of this country when they were in power,i just don't want to see history repeat itself....3 million+ unemployed?? no thanks.

well said...i know this country is far from perfect but i've said it many times before, we're in a period of general prosperity, yes there still is poverty, blair took us to an illegal war but ffs, life is great for many and from the choices we have in voting, the question isn't why vote for labour, it's why not vote for labour?
  • Options
    rk keeps on saying that he hates labour, and tells us somewhere else in another thread that he might not vote conservative and isnt a member of the tory party

conservatory.jpg
  • Options
    I don't like Bliar but I'm really no great fan of Howard either
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I don't like Bliar but I'm really no great fan of Howard either

you want his babies dont you

plus howard is the son of an imigrant anyway :)
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you want his babies dont you

plus howard is the son of an imigrant anyway :)
    ...and didn't his parents lie to get to stay here ...meaning the howard family should be sent back?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ...and didn't his parents lie to get to stay here ...meaning the howard family should be sent back?

Yes, but when your him, it doesn't matter, because as lnog as they are white to Howard I think.

Rich Kid, I was starting to take you seriously. No, I am afraid I no longer can. Stop it with the Anti Labour trolling already. FFS!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I dunno, who's more of an opportunist?
  • Options
    Are you thinking what we're thinking? :grump:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I agree, but whilst I suspect you see that as a bad thing, I see it as a good one.

The majority of people are happy with having a mixed economy, where Tesco and the NHS can exist side by side.

And its better to live in a society where our politicians are arguing over minor things, than living in one which is fundamentally split
  • Options
    or could it just be that all the major parties are happy to ignore the big long term issues, like pensions, NHS, global warming, because the effects of such changes wouldn't be seen for 30 or 40 years............so instead they chat a lot of shit about immigration.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    or could it just be that all the major parties are happy to ignore the big long term issues, like pensions, NHS, global warming, because the effects of such changes wouldn't be seen for 30 or 40 years............so instead they chat a lot of shit about immigration.

No. They agree on these long term issues more or less. Both parties support the Kyoto Protocol (one of the first Government Environmental initiatives was the Energy Efficiency best practice Programme set up in 1989 under Thatcher and John Gummer is regarded by many as one of the best Secretary's of State for Environmental matters).

Both agree broadly on the pensions (and immigration has major knock on effects on that both good and ill).

Both parties support the NHS (and what long term changes in the NHS will take 30 or 40 years to manifest themselves?)
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes, but when your him, it doesn't matter, because as lnog as they are white to Howard I think.
    Thats a nasty and unprovoked racist remark to make.
    Rich Kid, I was starting to take you seriously. No, I am afraid I no longer can. Stop it with the Anti Labour trolling already. FFS!
    I'm not trolling as you call it, I simply dislike Labour and particularly that smiling con-man Phoney Blair. It grieves me to think that he'll get back in but of course he will.
    The only good thing that will come from a Labour victory is that Phil Collins won't be returning to live in this country from tax exile in Switzerland.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    No. They agree on these long term issues more or less. Both parties support the Kyoto Protocol (one of the first Government Environmental initiatives was the Energy Efficiency best practice Programme set up in 1989 under Thatcher and John Gummer is regarded by many as one of the best Secretary's of State for Environmental matters).

Both agree broadly on the pensions (and immigration has major knock on effects on that both good and ill).

Both parties support the NHS (and what long term changes in the NHS will take 30 or 40 years to manifest themselves?)

the kyoto protocol is a nice gesture, but really won't do much to tackle global warming, that would require a big change in our lives that no government is prepared to accept right now.........

the pension crisis is another problem that won't fully manifest itself for another generation or so, by which time it will be too late, tell me what is being done about this because i don't think it's a major policy with any of the parties.......

and what i meant by the NHS is that it will probably survive another 30 odd years at the rate money is being pumped into it, but i dont believe it's sustainable in the long term.........
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    the kyoto protocol is a nice gesture, but really won't do much to tackle global warming, that would require a big change in our lives that no government is prepared to accept right now.........

Government or people? The political parties won't put forward radical solutions because the public won't accept them. That said whilst Global Warming is a problem it is probably overstated by the doom mongers.
    the pension crisis is another problem that won't fully manifest itself for another generation or so, by which time it will be too late, tell me what is being done about this because i don't think it's a major policy with any of the parties.......

Again probably overstated - but all the parties are doing things. My retirement age has just been increased by 5 years for example.

and what i meant by the NHS is that it will probably survive another 30 odd years at the rate money is being pumped into it, but i dont believe it's sustainable in the long term.........

It probably is sustainable. We're not putting that much of our GNP into it and over the next thirty years its likely that our wealth will increase.

That said, all the parties do have policies to make it more effective and give more bang for the buck.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

The change which needs to be started right now. It's the change in culture which means thatthe NHS because a preventative health service rather than a reactive one. It's the change which requires public responsibility for their own health and it will take 20 years before the effects are seen in terms of heart disease/lung diseases etc, much of it won't be seen until my generation retires

It's the change needed if the NHS is going to still exist in 30/40 years time.
  • Options
    The change which needs to be started right now. It's the change in culture which means thatthe NHS because a preventative health service rather than a reactive one. It's the change which requires public responsibility for their own health and it will take 20 years before the effects are seen in terms of heart disease/lung diseases etc, much of it won't be seen until my generation retires

I completely agree. The public need to be more accountable for the state of their own health. I don't mean by wasting perfectly good money on that bloody slug that tells us too much salt is bad for us either.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Thats a nasty and unprovoked racist remark to make..

Huh, why is it racist to suggest that Michael Howard doesn't care about white immigration?

BTW Did you know that the Tory "It's not racist to want limits on immigration" poster is only placed in predominantly white areas. Doesn't that suggest that they are pandering to white voters on this subject and therefore suggest that it is a racist policy?
  • Options
    Huh, why is it racist to suggest that Michael Howard doesn't care about white immigration?

BTW Did you know that the Tory "It's not racist to want limits on immigration" poster is only placed in predominantly white areas. Doesn't that suggest that they are pandering to white voters on this subject and therefore suggest that it is a racist policy?

Do you have a source for that? because I live in Walthamstow (which is certainly isn't a predominantly white area) and I've seen them around.
  • Options

But isn't this happening now? My GP's given me a booklet on stopping smoking, with the number of a local smoking cessastion helpline. And whilst I don't disagree with prevenative health care, the more succesful it is the older people will live to and the more resources will need to spent on them.

Its anecdotal, but both my grandparents who smoked died from massive strokes. My grandparents who didn't, lived to an older age, but probably used more resources as they needed more treatment over the years.

The NHS (or any medical service) will always need to be a mixture of preventive and reactive.
  • Options
    Sorry, I can't find it now. It was an accusation from a Muslim Pressure Group - one that I wouldn't have said were "precious" in any way but were very much moderates...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But isn't this happening now? My GP's given me a booklet on stopping smoking, with the number of a local smoking cessastion helpline.

To an extent, but it's not just about smoking...
    And whilst I don't disagree with prevenative health care, the more succesful it is the older people will live to and the more resources will need to spent on them.

The main causes of disease, and therefore need for treatment, are COPD and CHD (Lungs and heart). Healthy living would reduce the volume of these conditions and therefore the need for treatment.

COPD alone is the biggest threat to the NHS.

Preventative healthcare offers the NHS so much more in reduction of admission to hospital and visits to GPs. One only have to look at US organisation like Kaiser Permente (sp?) to see the benefits which can be gained...
    The NHS (or any medical service) will always need to be a mixture of preventive and reactive.

I wouldn't disagree, but don't be surprised if smokers and drinkers found themselves facing treatment delays/financial penalties in the future
  • Options
    To an extent, but it's not just about smoking...

I'd agree, but I just used that as an example, because I know about it from personal experience (being a midnight choker)

The main causes of disease, and therefore need for treatment, are COPD and CHD (Lungs and heart). Healthy living would reduce the volume of these conditions and therefore the need for treatment.

COPD alone is the biggest threat to the NHS.

But if people didn't smoke and drink into an early grave surely they will need other more expensive tratements, which is the price of getting older. Older people will need to spend more time in hospitals, they will suffer other types of cancer which will need to be treated, hip replacements etc. Never mind the income which is lost from taxes on alcohol and cigs.
    Preventative healthcare offers the NHS so much more in reduction of admission to hospital and visits to GPs. One only have to look at US organisation like Kaiser Permente (sp?) to see the benefits which can be gained...

I'm sure there are benefits (especially to the individuals who live longer). I just question how much of a saving (in financial terms) there is from people living longer.

I wouldn't disagree, but don't be surprised if smokers and drinkers found themselves facing treatment delays/financial penalties in the future

Don't you find that a scary prospect? Given that many of these smokers and drinkers will probably have paid more in taxes into the NHS than the non-smoking, teetotal vegan on the same income shouldn't they get at least equality of treatment? And also since many smokers come from lower income families than non-smokers isn't there a further risk that the NHS is not treating (or at least give lesser treatment) to those with the least ability to go private?

Thread hijacking complete :o