Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Patenting Life - who has the right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is the just the latest disgusting twist in a world being overrun by corporations invading every aspect of our life............biotech companies like Monsanto have in recent years begun patenting just about any life form they can get their hands on..........most importantly are seeds, the basis for any agriculture industry.........earlier this month the European Patent Office decided not to revoke Monsanto's patent on soy, in direct contravention of their own laws prohibiting patents on plant varieties and commercially grown seeds.........

so basically these companies have been given the green light to move in and take control of the world's agricultural industries, through selling licensed seeds to farmers.........it is now illegal for farmers to save and re-use seeds for next years crops, something practised for 1000's of years............now they have to go back every year and shell out money to the likes of Monsanto or face fines and jail time, the GM seeds actually have a 'terminator' function built into them, so that they cannot germinate and be re-used........

this law is now being forced onto iraqi farmers, where new IP law means iraqis cannot save their seeds for next year, something practised by 97% of farmers, they must pay monsanto or starve........gee i bet they're real glad we liberated them from such an oppressive regime.......... is it just me who finds this really sick? i cannot believe the lengths corporations will go to squeeze more money out of those who cannot afford it, or the lengths our corrupt governments go to support these corporations..........and why is such a phenomenal shift in agriculture going unreported in the media? once again our precious BBC is complicit in not reporting the real news.........