Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BNP Adds

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about the morality of Phoney Blair allowing British arms to be sold to odious repressive regimes abroad whilst he illegally goes to war against another odious regime in Iraq?

Should we allow a war criminal lead a British political party and appear on national TV?

Hadn't Saddam paid his arms bill? Is this the retribution heaped on late payers by Phoney Blair? We need to be told.
  • Options
    Should we allow a war criminal lead a British political party and appear on national TV?

Like Maggie "sink it anyway" Thatcher?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Like Maggie "sink it anyway" Thatcher?
    The Great Margaret Thatcher, Britains Greatest PM since Churchill, fought a legal war with the backing of the British people - very unlike Phoney's war.
  • Options
    I am sorry Rich Kid, that simply isn't good enough.

The daft old trout sank a harmless ship outside the warzone knowing full well that it was harmless and outside jurisdiction. That's a war crime. Tony's war is also bogus, so they are both war criminals. Sloppy logic, RK.

She got her arse publicly spanked about it if i remember rightly by some housewife with a bit of gumption.
  • Options
    That process already exists, as you should be aware Nick Griffin has already been charged for comments made before the election was called. I suspect that the same laws would still apply?

Feels a bit weird quoting myself, but hey...

Back to the "inciting" law. The more I think about them, the harder I find it to defend them. What you are talking about here is a law which restricts the right of free speech which we all assume that we have. The "crime" does not cause any real harm to an individual - the harm comes from those whom act on the words used. IMHO there is little difference between this and me telling someone to rob a man and then being convicted for "incitement to rob".

One of the most celebrated miscarriages of justice is that of Derek Bentley, a boy convicted of murder and hanged because he [allegedy] told his accomplice to "Let him have it, Chris". Again, I find little difference between the two.

It is the action which is the crime. Not the words.
  • Options
    The daft old trout sank a harmless ship outside the warzone knowing full well that it was harmless and outside jurisdiction. That's a war crime. Tony's war is also bogus, so they are both war criminals. Sloppy logic, RK.

You seem to understand nothing about military tactics. It was an enemy ship, equipped with exocet missiles. As long as the Belgrano remained afloat it was a threat to British lives.

Interestingly enough the Belgrano's Captain felt that the sinking was justified. I suspect he knows more about the rules of war than any housewife.
  • Options
    Thank you NQA.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    As long as the Belgrano remained afloat it was a threat to British lives.

Only if it was in range ;)
  • Options
    Only if it was in range ;)

Er - not true at all. It was about to enter some 'shallows' where the Conquerer couldn't follow, so all contact would have been lost. If they'd lost contact the next time the Brits knew where it was would be when there own ships started sinking.

Anyway it still doesn't make it a war crime. The geneva convention doesn't say anything about not attacking the enemy just because they can't currently hurt you
  • Options
    You seem to understand nothing about military tactics.

I understand military tactics thank you. Militarily it was the correct thing to do.

It was still illegal and still a war crime.
    Interestingly enough the Belgrano's Captain felt that the sinking was justified. I suspect he knows more about the rules of war than any housewife.

Yeah shame we are talking about points of law, innit.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    the next time the Brits knew where it was would be when there own ships started sinking.

Which would mean that it was in range.

A weapon is just a lump of metal until it can be used for it's purpose. In this case for the Belgrano to be a "threat" it would need to be close enough for it's weaponry to cause damage...
    Anyway it still doesn't make it a war crime.

I wasn't arguing that it was. I was just pointing that the arguement you put forward was false. The Belgrano was suck not because it was a threat, but because it could become a threat.

As you say, perfectly acceptable under the geneva convention during a time of war. Having said that, war was never declared...
  • Options
    Regarding extremism, the Nazi Party were quite similar. They came into power as the central parties of the time were doing a shit job. Wouldn't surprise me if it happened again with the BNP.
  • Options
    I understand military tactics thank you. Militarily it was the correct thing to do.

It was still illegal and still a war crime.

It wasn't a war crime. It was an enemy ship. Argentinia had de facto declared war on the UK the minute its forces set foot on the Falklands. Sinking enemy ships is not a war crime.
  • Options
    QUOTE]Which would mean that it was in range.

A weapon is just a lump of metal until it can be used for it's purpose. In this case for the Belgrano to be a "threat" it would need to be close enough for it's weaponry to cause damage...

I wasn't arguing that it was. I was just pointing that the arguement you put forward was false. The Belgrano was suck not because it was a threat, but because it could become a threat.[/QUOTE]

OK a very pedantic argument, but technically true. Its rather like us sinking a U-boat in the Bay of Biscay during WW2 - they weren't in torpedo range of any allied shipping either

As you say, perfectly acceptable under the geneva convention during a time of war. Having said that, war was never declared...

See above post - de facto it was.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Argentinia had de facto declared war on the UK the minute its forces set foot on the Falklands.

This is getting away from the main topic, but on what basis do you make this claim?

Are you arguing that it was because Argentina invaded a British territory? If so, the we should have gone to war with the US when they invaded Grenada...
  • Options
    Then how come there was a prosecution against her by relatives of the victims? (Which was thrown out on a technicality)

How come she got a grilling by some no-mark essex housewife she couldn't wriggle out of?
  • Options
    This is getting away from the main topic, but on what basis do you make this claim?

Are you arguing that it was because Argentina invaded a British territory? If so, the we should have gone to war with the US when they invaded Grenada...

Two different cases. The Queen was head of state of Grenada, but it was an independent country responsible for its own defence and foreign policy and with no power by the UK Government to intervene in its domestic matters.

The Falklands were a British Overseas Territory, over which the UK had full control of defence and foreign policy and right to intervene in its domestic policy.

Declerations of War are not needed to say something is a war.

Whilst the Hague Convention says 'that hostilities ... must not commence without previous and explicit warning, in the form of a declaration of war, giving reasons, or of an ultimatum with conditional declaration of war' However this was replaced by article 2 of the Geneva Convvention - 'In addition to the provisions which shall be implemented in peace time, the present Convention shall apply to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them.'

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/0/5aa133b15493d9d0c12563cd0042a15a?OpenDocument
  • Options
    Then how come there was a prosecution against her by relatives of the victims? (Which was thrown out on a technicality)

Wasn't the technicality that it wasn't actually a war crime

How come she got a grilling by some no-mark essex housewife she couldn't wriggle out of?

Irrelevant - unless the woman concerned was a judge it was her opinion and a wrong one based on any understanding of the laws of war.

However lets twist this and use your tax argument of innocent unless prooven guilty - what is your evidence it was a war crime. Please use International Law as it existed at the time as your sources.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

I have to agree with NQA here, your stance on courts of law means that even you don't agree with what you are saying there...
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/812146.stm

the technicality was that statute of limitations was exceeded so the case could not start. And also - and this amazes me - that the relatives hadn't exhausted all options under the IK justice system first!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/falklands/story/0,11707,889576,00.html
  • Options
    the technicality was that statute of limitations was exceeded so the case could not start. And also - and this amazes me - that the relatives hadn't exhausted all options under the IK justice system first!

OK fair enough, but this doesn't mean it was a war crime, as the judges didn't even look at the issue. It wasn't that Mrs T was found not guilty because of it.

And from the Guardian article
    The British government says that the sinking was a legitimate act of war, a claim since accepted by the captain of the Belgrano, as well as Argentina's defence ministry.

So basically those who know the most about it and have a knowledge about the rules of armed conflict think it was a legitimate act of war.
  • Options
    According to the Argentinian navy, the Belgrano was steaming out of the 200-mile maritime exclusion zone fixed by Britain, and therefore there was no reason to attack it.

Also from the granaiuad article.
    The documents showed that, despite government claims that British lives were under threat, the Belgrano was actually sailing out of the exclusion zone when it was attacked.

The Clive Ponting stuff, neh?

It's a scotch "not proven" I admit. It's an alleged war crime at best and I apologise if I got it wrong in any major way. (Blagsta seems to think I don't acknowledge when I am wrong but heres some proof)
  • Options
    According to the Argentinian navy, the Belgrano was steaming out of the 200-mile maritime exclusion zone fixed by Britain, and therefore there was no reason to attack it.

A matter of opinion - and I trust a military officer's opinion on attacking it rather than a journalist. And even if one accepts the Guardian's view that still does not make it a war crime.

The Clive Ponting stuff, neh?

All that Clive Ponting stuff shows is that it was sailing away at the time. That a) doesn't mean that it was always going to be sailing away and b) even if was going to port never to set sail again (which it wasn't btw) sinking an enemy vessel in time of war is not a war crime.
  • Options
    The BNP got 0.1 and 0.2% of the vote in the last two elections

I think you should check your figures again ;)

I cant believe in 2005 some morons really believe a political party should be banned, you might not agree with it but the BNP have got millions of votes in the past and how can you ban a party that hundreds of thousands of people vote for, madness? I realise Aladdin uses racism accusations as loosely as anything Ive ever seen or heard but calling for bans is pathetic.

btw I though the PPB was very good, story of an old war hero being stuck on the scrapheap and then Griffin at the end. Excellent.

Expect the BNP's vote to rise AGAIN this year and keep a special eye out on that Keighley seat ;)
  • Options
    All that Clive Ponting stuff shows is that it was sailing away at the time. That a) doesn't mean that it was always going to be sailing away and b) even if was going to port never to set sail again (which it wasn't btw) sinking an enemy vessel in time of war is not a war crime.

Yeah I know.

I already posted -
    It's a scotch "not proven" I admit. It's an alleged war crime at best and I apologise if I got it wrong in any major way.

I already dropped the point. Now it may seem that i normally fight like a loony over stuff but on this I am genuinely wrong. Sorry for the mix up it was my poor understanding initially that got me out of my depth.

British Govt says no war crime - argie widows say it is. No judge has ruled so it's just an allegation, unproven either way.

Done? Dusted? :blush: