Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mobile phone masts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
JsT wrote:
Sarah,

I appreciate this may not be your expert area but any help you can give would be appreciated.

I live in an area where a well known mobile phone company are building a 30ft mast less than 15ft from residential properties. Personally I think this is digraceful but my local Labour MP doesn't seem to have a problem with this and in fact seems to refuse to answer questions on the matter. What is the Lib Dem approach to the current (in my opinion weak legislation) and do the Lib Dem's have any plans to alter the legislation regarding the erection of mobile communication masts?

On a seperate note I have been very impressed with the Lib Dems so far and in paticular yourself, I shall ensure my cross is in the Lib Dem box come May 5th.

If you look on the bright side, it'll be an excellent signal. Did you not challege the constuction when they were obligated to display a planning notice in the area and in the local paper?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    ginner wrote:
    If you look on the bright side, it'll be an excellent signal. Did you not challege the constuction when they were obligated to display a planning notice in the area and in the local paper?
    A petition of over 450 signatures was sent to the operator and the MP concerned, the mast is still being constructed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote:
    A petition of over 450 signatures was sent to the operator and the MP concerned, the mast is still being constructed.
    How many of the 450 use a mobile phone?

Is this not just a case of NIMBY?
    Kentish wrote:
    How many of the 450 use a mobile phone?

Is this not just a case of NIMBY?
    Its an area made predominantly of OAP's, paticularly old miners. So I wouldnt assume mobile usage would be that high.

Maybe some of it is NIMBYism, surely sighting it 10ft away from homes, especially with recent health concerns and radiation claims isn't paticularly clever?
    JsT wrote:
    Maybe some of it is NIMBYism, surely sighting it 10ft away from homes, especially with recent health concerns and radiation claims isn't paticularly clever?
    Holding a mobile next to your brain would be even less clever then?

Seriously, what are these "health concerns" and "radiation claims"? Is there any evidence that mobile masts are a health hazard?

If we want mobiles, we need masts. If you want to campaign against mobile technology, fair enough.
    Kentish wrote:
    If you want to campaign against mobile technology, fair enough.
    oh if only that were possible!
    i have seen the dependancy rate rocket in every family in the land.
    it's as if your all on crack from my point of view.
    all wired up 24/7.
    available anywhere and everywhere.

why do people feel the need to be so connected ...man?
    Why have a landline - what's wrong with the postal system? Why have a postal system - what's wrong with walking?

Humanity is dependent on communication. OK, so most mobile calls and texts are pointless, but it is just the latest method we have invented for keeping in touch with each other.

Until you can show me that the health risks of these masts are worse than the benefit we get from them then I have absolutely no sympathy with the NIMBY types.

because we are social animals. Besides, anyone who wishes not to be so connected can do so if they wanted, loose the phone, take away your internet etc. Not all that fun though :p
    Kentish wrote:
    Until you can show me that the health risks of these masts are worse than the benefit we get from them then I have absolutely no sympathy with the NIMBY types.
    it's more a mental health issue.
    your all fucking crazy but theres only a few of us left not effected.
    the remaining few of us who not only can but do actualy leave the house without an attatchment are few but we will survive this madness.
    it's more a mental health issue.
    your all fucking crazy but theres only a few of us left not effected.
    the remaining few of us who not only can but do actualy leave the house without an attatchment are few but we will survive this madness.

You'll be pleased to know I'm cancelling my mobile contract and giving up on the idea. It's not all ideology, I can't get a signal! My girlfriend won't be too happy but I wont be half as easy to complain at when the time comes.
    ginner wrote:
    You'll be pleased to know I'm cancelling my mobile contract and giving up on the idea. It's not all ideology, I can't get a signal! My girlfriend won't be too happy but I wont be half as easy to complain at when the time comes.
    i see it as worse than the crack problem.
    when people finaly come face to face they have nowt to talk about cos everyone has tracked and recorded everyone elses movements and events of the day ...down to the minutest detail in the worst effected.
    when they are in the company of others they are communicating with everyone who's not there ...it gets to the point where people place them within reach of the bed.
    people are having a dump and talking to their bank manager!
    it is madness.
    it has no soul of its own but is drinking yours.
    it'll get to the point where people have a drink and start stabbing people they know cos they no longer reconise each other.
    Kentish wrote:
    Holding a mobile next to your brain would be even less clever then?

Seriously, what are these "health concerns" and "radiation claims"? Is there any evidence that mobile masts are a health hazard?

If we want mobiles, we need masts. If you want to campaign against mobile technology, fair enough.
    Where are the claims that mobile technology is 100% safe?

Alas from the health concerns, its an eyesore and house prices will decrease hugely.

I'm not against mobile technology, I'm against sleeping 10ft away from a huge mast, in an area where it is not required. Would you be happy with that?
    They are building a 3G mast at the bottom of my road, next to a doctors, a vets and a dentists and in the middle of residential area.

I don't care..............
    JsT wrote:
    Where are the claims that mobile technology is 100% safe?
    Eh?
    Alas from the health concerns, its an eyesore and house prices will decrease hugely.
    Yes, but only because people like you think they are hamrful. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And make up your mind - they are either all retired miners (and thus would not care about house prices) or they are NIMBYs and worrying themselves unnecessarily.
    I'm not against mobile technology, I'm against sleeping 10ft away from a huge mast, in an area where it is not required. Would you be happy with that?
    Not required? Why would the mobile phone company want to put one there if it wasn't required? And, yes, I'd quite happily sleep within 10ft of a mobile mast.
    Kentish wrote:

Would you mind it in your back yard?

They did a documentary thing on the tv a while back about this estate that had one put up. All the kids had got leukemia, with like 4 on the street next to it, 2 on the next street over, 2 on the next one, 1 on the next one, etc etc etc.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/13/nmast13.xml
    telegraph wrote:
    Four years ago a committee chaired by Sir William Stewart concluded: "There is no general risk to the health of people living near base stations on the basis that exposures are expected to be a small fraction of the guidelines."

The committee did, however, recommend "a precautionary approach to the use of mobile phone technologies" and further research.
    Would you mind it in your back yard?
    Only on an eyesore basis, not because of hyped up health claims.
    They did a documentary thing on the tv a while back about this estate that had one put up. All the kids had got leukemia
    All of them?

You could have highlighted the first quote on that Telegraph snippet and used it as a counter argument! What is your point?
    Kentish wrote:
    You could have highlighted the first quote on that Telegraph snippet and used it as a counter argument! What is your point?

My point is, it's someones right to have their health protected. They don't know what mobile masts do, thats why in the quote they said they should be precautionary in putting them up. Which I would ahve thought is not 10 feet away from where people live and sleep.
    My point is, it's someones right to have their health protected. They don't know what mobile masts do, thats why in the quote they said they should be precautionary in putting them up. Which I would ahve thought is not 10 feet away from where people live and sleep.
    To be ten feet away from your bedroom, it would have to be attached to the building somewhere, surely?

In which case it is up to you to object to the planning application. Likewise, any erection of that sort is liable for planning permission, and you have a right as a local resident to object to the council.
    I dont think id be happy with one ontop of my house say. And i'd be concerned if it was close by just incase. But i wouldnt be overly bothered, they are EVERYWHERE, in McDonalds signs, in trees. Thy have to be, its annoying when you cant get signal.
    I do know that the "radiation level power" has a squared thing in it so it is very proportional to the distance away. Like a 10 times decrases in distance is 100 times increase is power. something like that

Bopz
    Bopperz wrote:
    I dont think id be happy with one ontop of my house say. And i'd be concerned if it was close by just incase. But i wouldnt be overly bothered, they are EVERYWHERE, in McDonalds signs, in trees. Thy have to be, its annoying when you cant get signal.
    I do know that the "radiation level power" has a squared thing in it so it is very proportional to the distance away. Like a 10 times decrases in distance is 100 times increase is power. something like that

Bopz

polynomial or exponential?
    Its an inverse square relationship iirc. Anyway, who gives a fuck, I just want my mobile to work.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Anyway, who gives a fuck, I just want my .
    a child of the thatcher years?
    Do you think it was an entirely serious comment?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you think it was an entirely serious comment?
    no mate.