Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cannabis education march and rally may 15

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You are cordially invited to attend, and be involved in
A Cannabis Education March & Rally
London Sunday May 15th, 2005, 1-7pm. www.cannabistrust.com

Assemble 1pm @ RUSSELL SQUARE, WC1 for 'cannabis carnival' march departing 2pm through central London to rally with speakers at a major Central London Venue to be confirmed.

A 'Cannabis Education March & Rally' is being planned in aid of the greater understanding of cannabis and cannabis prohibition, and addressing the concerns of the public.

Cannabis Education: expert speakers have been invited to speak at the rally on topics including; 'skunk', cannabis harm reduction, medical cannabis, mental health and cannabis, 'amotivation', nutrition, and the science of cannabis. Other issues to be covered include the cost of prohibition, drug testing at work and school, driving under the influence, dangers of 'soap bar' and sniffer dogs. Also invited are growers, campaigners, political and spiritual representatives, plus individuals from many walks of life. Political speakers invited include representatives from all the main parties, plus the Legalise Cannabis Alliance which has 25 candidates standing in the upcoming general election, and several speakers from the Green Party.

Cannabis Culture: musicians, comedians, poets and artists will all be represented. Free hemp tea will be available.

Speakers confirmed so far: Roger Warren Evans (barrister, Liberty), Dennis Peron (leading Californian medical cannabis reformer), Peter Tatchell (Outrage), George Melly (jazz musician), Mark Gibson (thc4ms), Tony Taylor (medicinal cannabis expert and practitioner), editor Cannabis Community Newz, Patricia Tabram (the Cannabis Grandma), David Crane (editor Hempire news), Andy Cornwell (lawyer), Richard Parry (lawyer), Will Rogers (writer & expert on organic skunk), Jeff Ditchfield (medical cannabis expert), Helen Addis (carer/campaigner), Steve Pank (CLCA), Alun Buffry (coordinator Legalise Cannabis Alliance), Don Barnard (LCA candidate standing against Charles Clark (Home Sec) in Norwich), Shane Collins (Green Party Drugs Group), Lee Harris (founder Home Grown magazine), Winston Matthews (LCA, Ceredigion, Wales), Chris Baldwin (medical cannabis campaigner/LCA), John Allin (glaucoma patient and medical cannabis user), Damian Bernard (arthritis sufferer), Tony Allen (comedian and long term cannabis user who's quit), SENCE and the Urban Prophets, plus many more to be announced.

Cannabis Information: medical cannabis, 'smoke free', campaigning, recreational and hemp 'cannabis education zones', with information stalls and a chance to meet the experts.

The 'People's Commission of Inquiry on Cannabis' - The British Government's 'Drugs Bill' now passing through Parliament, outlines plans for a 'Commission of Inquiry into the Effects and Classification of Cannabis'. This is something many have called for over many years. To contribute towards the success of the government's inquiry, a 'People's Commission of Enquiry on Cannabis' will be launched on at the rally on May 15th, to collect evidence from all sides and 'research the research'. This information will be submitted to the Government Commission as evidence for their consideration, to ensure they do not miss anything. It will also be published. All interested parties are invited to contribute.

Cannabis Education Research Trust statement:
Cannabis should not be used as a political football. Its treatment in society should be decided in a rational and informed manner. This event aims to contribute in both those directions .
The cannabis issue is not only about 'How safe is cannabis?', but also raises the question; 'How dangerous is cannabis prohibition?'. Both issues need to be seriously addressed.

The progress towards de facto 'decriminalisation' of simple possession of cannabis in Britain ('Class 'C') is to be welcomed, but is clearly not the full solution, because it fails to fully safe guard public health.

Instead of a return to 'Class B' as some are calling for, the only safe solution is the lifting of cannabis prohibition, to be replaced by the establishment of legal regulation of quality and distribution, just like any other consumer product.

Anything less fails to protect the public, especially the young and vulnerable, from the serious health and social problems associated with cannabis prohibition.

The solution is a 'new deal for cannabis':
• The lifting of cannabis prohibition to allow freedom for the growing, licensed sale, and safe social or medical use of cannabis in Britain.

• Quality controls & Health & Safety Regulations as with any other product to protect consumers.

• Distribution through licensed premises and non-profit cannabis buyer's cooperatives & clubs, plus the right to 'grow your own'.

• An immediate release of all cannabis prisoners and clearing of all cannabis criminal records.

Safe Use, Not Prohibition - The Right to Choose Your Own Medicine - Great Plant, Crazy Law
Cannabis Education March & Rally, Central London. Sunday 15th May 2005.
1-7pm. Everyone invited.

Comments

• Options
    you comming to this one rk?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    you comming to this one rk?
    Certainly not. It should be banned. No wonder this country is going to pot.
  • Options
    Its a shame that 9 times out of 10 the Legalise Cannabis Alliance are a good reason not to.

They always have such useless people talk on their behalf.

A nice aim, but change wont happen because of some rally, it needs long term political action by people who know what they are talking about and DEFINATELY do not sound like stonners.

Oh and the Drugs Bill isnt 'passing' as you said, its past, done and dusted mate, its law.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

So you want to get rid of free speach now then?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    lol! like the pun there.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    No wonder this country is going to pot.
    No pun intended, I suppose? :D
  • Options
    A nice aim, but change wont happen because of some rally, it needs long term political action by people who know what they are talking about and DEFINATELY do not sound like stonners

so what you doing then?
  • Options
    johnny v wrote:
    so what you doing then?

Not that its strictly any of your business, I work with two drugs charities on an occasional basis.
  • Options
    well maybe you could ask those charities to become involved in the legalise cannabis debate, because so far most of the major charities have chosen to sit on the fence on this issue
  • Options
    Well I know one rather major one that although might not be involved in this is raising the issue of drugs legalisation.

Transform, www.tdpf.org I think it is. Intelligent stuff.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    lol! like the pun there.
    Glad you noticed.
  • Options
    trasnform are good, but are quite small, we dont have anything like in the states where norml are a multi million pound lobbying organisation working towards cannabis legalisation

the cannabis movement in this country is changing as well, may more doctors, lawyers etc coming on board

i agree that some of the people in the past have not necessarily helped the cause but the cannabis festival did have some impact imo

it was part of a movement along with coffeeshops and medical cannabis distributors that helped to force a change in the law and started a debate around medical cannabis

but due to various reasons (a major one being apathy) it now seems possible that we could start going backwards again

which is why as many folk as possible should come to this event, as well as become involved in long term campaigning work
  • Options
    johnny v wrote:
    trasnform are good, but are quite small, we dont have anything like in the states where norml are a multi million pound lobbying organisation working towards cannabis legalisation

Oh certainly, but you do kind of need multi-million pound budgets to lobby in the US at all, and of course its a much bigger place.

I can see your point though, what with the change down to Class C many users cant really see the incentive for big change anymore.

They may review the choice to move it down to Class C but they wont change it back, not with the advisory council on drug use and ACPO.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Glad you noticed.

Ok, I noticed your pun too and laughed... at least a couple of folks did.

You can't ban it, we live in a free society. Apparently, unless you are a Muslim of course, then you can stay locked up at home. They don't smoke pot anyway, its against their religion. So nevermind!

Anyway, I won't be going. But I do see their point, Cannabis isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Pretty damn good actually. I don't smoke Tobacco though, its a fucking crime that is legal at all. Its far worse than a bit of weed.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Good one :)
  • Options
    johnny v wrote:
    well maybe you could ask those charities to become involved in the legalise cannabis debate, because so far most of the major charities have chosen to sit on the fence on this issue
    i'm an overtly covert operator for the cause.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

it is banned though, Class C means its still illegal
  • Options
    Emails, text messages and mobile calls 'more damaging to people's IQs than cannabis'

So I'll look forward to all the safety campaigners against cannabis to log off, throw away their mobile phone and immediately call for a ban on 'evil' computers.

;)
  • Options
    Thats fantastic and certainly evident with some people I know.
  • Options
    Cannabis users should be forced to go on a detox programme. Its a disgusting habit that accelerates mental illness in the users, using up precious NHS resources for self-inflicted harm.

The march should be banned, its an affront to common decency. The government made a grave mistake in down-grading this harmful insidious drug, but then again what do you expect from Labour?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Cannabis users should be forced to go on a detox programme. Its a disgusting habit that accelerates mental illness in the users, using up precious NHS resources for self-inflicted harm.
    I trust you believe people who drink alcohol should be treated exactly the same?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

The march should be banned, its an affront to common decency. The government made a grave mistake in down-grading this harmful insidious drug, but then again what do you expect from Labour?

First of all did you want to present any medical evidence for that?

And secondly did you want to explain to us how methamphetamine and cannabis should be in the same legal bracket?
  • Options
    There is no such thing as a detox programme for cannabis, it is not physically addictive like alcohol, heroin or benzos. There is no evidence that it "accelerates mental illness in the users" or its use is "using up precious NHS resources for self-inflicted harm.". Unless you are privy to some information that no one else is?
  • Options
    I'm sure he'll provide a link to back up his claims. Won't you RK?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

I'm tempted to put him on my ignore list, i just can't bring myself to do it though as he's produced some excellent belly laughs from me. :lol:
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Well for everyone who is concerned with who the next PM will be, we can all sleep safe in the knowledge that it won't be that utter fanny.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:

Yes, A reputable source of course, which everyone knows speaks the ultimate truth.

Probably something along the lines of "Christians Against Cannabis".
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    So if somebody tries to commit suicide they should be denied treatment? If somebody falls over because they're drunk they should be refused treatment? If somebody is injured in a fight they should be denied treatment? Should obese people and smokers be denied treatment too? "Using up precious NHS resources for self-inflicted harm".