Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

help! should i choose manchester uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im having a nightmare! have to choose what uni to go 2 by next week. Due to loadsa things i havent been able to visit any. So this is really difficult! I really want to choose manchester as the course (business management) looks really good and i like big cities. what does anyone think of the uni? Otherwise i have the choice of leeds or loughborogh.
Ideally i want to be able to have the confidence to go for manchester. Anyone??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you like big cities dont do Loughborogh, the whole campus thing would drive you crazy Im sure!! I have a pal at manc uni and she loves it, her halls are lovely, the facilities seem top, but I know nothing about their business school. And yup, manc is a class city!!

Should be coming up to newcastle to Northumbria though, our business school rocks ;) follow your heart, you'll love it!!
    Is it the 28th you gotta reply by? You could maybe try and organise a quick day trip down there, even if its just to have a look round the facilities etc.

You can reply online also as well, much quicker.

Good Luck :)
    In_ya_face wrote:
    im having a nightmare! have to choose what uni to go 2 by next week. Due to loadsa things i havent been able to visit any. So this is really difficult! I really want to choose manchester as the course (business management) looks really good and i like big cities. what does anyone think of the uni? Otherwise i have the choice of leeds or loughborogh.
    Ideally i want to be able to have the confidence to go for manchester. Anyone??

I'm at Salford Uni in Manchester, if you like big cities then Manchester is just the ticket, i've been here 3 years and i love the place. About 50% of graduates in Manchester stay there after graduation.

Don't know much about Leeds but Loughborough is basically a small town based round a University, not my cup of tea.
    Loughborough is basically a small town based round a University, not my cup of tea.

Not really it's been a market town since forever, but it is really quite small, and you would get bored of the shops in about a couple of hours, saying that though it's only a 20 minute bus ride into Leicester, but unfortunatley that's not the largest place ever, compared to leeds/manchester.

I have friends that go both Leeds and Manchester and they love it, and when i went to visit my friend at Manc i was amazed/bewilldered by the amount of shops there were and how big the town center bit was, i could imagine it keeping you entertained and what not for ever.
    wow, you must be clever to get a place for Management at Mancs! I applied for two courses at M: a management course and economics and social policy. Got turned down for management (probably for the best, i don't really want to do that anyway) and an offer for the other, and i think it's my first choice! Though I am a little jittery about filling in the form now it's come down to it.

I'd love to go to uni in Paris, but thats a different story!
    manchester is a great city. the uni has a very good reputation and is one of the best in the country. leeds I didn't like when i looked round it. Don't know why, or maybe I'm just prejudiced cos of all the white roses around teh place :yuck: ;)

Loughborough is nice, was another place I applied for, and went on an overnight visit there so experienced a bit of the life etc. But if you like big cities it probably isn't for you.

Sounds like you think the course at Manchester is what you want to do as well, so whats stopping you about it?
    Manchester all the way! If you like big cities then definately come here! I'm nearing the end of my second year now and i have loved every minute of it. So much so that i take students round on visit days just to tell them how much i like it!

Yeah so it rains a lot, and the rusholme traffic is crap but other than that you cant really go wrong - good nightlife, good atmosphere, good shopping, tonnes of students (and thus student offers!), great facilities and fantastic reputation. I am obviously biased, but if you have got an offer from here i wouldnt hesitate in taking it up!

Dont know much about loughborough, Leeds is nice, but i have only been there once so cant really comment - i went to stay with a friend there and all i can say is that i didnt like the layout of the campus and where the halls were - seems a bit all over the place. Whereas in manchester everything is pretty condensed in terms of uni buildings (depending on your course...i do biology myself so i'm just in one building most of the time) and halls. transport is easy, frequent and bloody cheap too!

check out the websites, see if you can get in touch with their undergraduate offices. sure you'll make the right choice! good luck!