Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Asylum seeker avoids deportation through suicide.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A gay asylum seeker who shot himself between the eyes with an airgun had "an obvious motive" to commit suicide, the East Sussex coroner has said.

Hussein Nasseri, 26, killed himself while in his car at a children's playground in Eastbourne last June.

He died days after hearing his second appeal against a Home Office decision to refuse him asylum had failed and that he was to be deported.

He said he would be executed if he returned to Iran because he was gay.

bbc

Surely the man deserved asylum?

:(

Comments

• Options
    Nope.

What we should have done is use his case as a rallying cry for freedom and democracy in the Middle East, bombed the Iranians a bit nearer the stone age and used the whole thing as a pretext to grab all their oil.
  • Options
    shit happens!
  • Options
    bet he werent gay anyway lol
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    shit happens!

Your reply is so profound that I don't understand it.

:)
  • Options
    Your reply is so profound that I don't understand it.

:)
    hundreds of people die for sad reasons in england,why should we care?
    another failed asylum seeker!....so fucking what?..do you know the real reason why he was not granted asylum?....no?
    one failed asylum seeker has just been jailed for killing a police officer!...do you care about him?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    hundreds of people die for sad reasons in england,why should we care?
    another failed asylum seeker!....so fucking what?..do you know the real reason why he was not granted asylum?....no?
    one failed asylum seeker has just been jailed for killing a police officer!...do you care about him?

Well, I think that we should care if we're failing to provide asylum to the those genuinely in danger.

The cop was doing his job - he was unlucky - but he placed himself in the situation. I'm sure that he would have got more back-up if he'd assessed the risk differently.

I think that Hussein should have got the support he requested.
  • Options
    He was gay and an aslyum seeker?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    He was gay and an aslyum seeker?

What on Earth are you on about?

As to the question, sounds like a tragic case, though given we dont know what the asylum choice was made on its difficult.

However, we can, as humans still have sympathy for someone so unhappy that they choose to end their life.
  • Options
    Gay rights cant be solved via asylum. There are many fundamentalist views in many countries worldwide not just the middle east and not just developing countries, that persecute gays as not being 'in the way god intended'. Asylum simply isnt viable to prevent this.
  • Options
    What asylum does is preventing those gay people from being tortured and/or killed.

It'd be a crime to say a gay person back to a country where they are likely to be persecuted for their sexuality.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What asylum does is preventing those gay people from being tortured and/or killed.

It'd be a crime to say a gay person back to a country where they are likely to be persecuted for their sexuality.
    What utter rubbish, there are probably thousands, or even millions of queers living in other countries, arab countries included, that don't don't get tortured or killed - yet again another fine piece of exaggeration designed to give emotional uplift to a spurious case.
    Who knows if someone is queer? Is there a test for it? There isn't, so the queer card could be played by anyone wishing to stay here.
  • Options
    Sexuality - disgracefully - is not counted as a valid reason for claiming asylum.

Therefore, the government is quite within its rights to send people back to countries where they're likely to be persecuted.

:mad:
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Sexuality - disgracefully - is not counted as a valid reason for claiming asylum.
    Nor should it be. Next we'll be offering asylum to one-legged dwarves because they face discrimination and/or persecution back home.
    Therefore, the government is quite within its rights to send people back to countries where they're likely to be persecuted.:mad:
    Good.
  • Options
    Right, so you're happy to send people back to countries where they're likely to be killed?

Some fine Christian you are.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    What utter rubbish, there are probably thousands, or even millions of queers living in other countries, arab countries included, that don't don't get tortured or killed - yet again another fine piece of exaggeration designed to give emotional uplift to a spurious case.
    Who knows if someone is queer? Is there a test for it? There isn't, so the queer card could be played by anyone wishing to stay here.
    Stop lying and making things up spoilt child.

Are you so breathtakingly ignorant of the world we live in that you pretend there is no such thing as persecution of gays?

Hell, you fucking persecute them on a daily basis here. Imagine what is like in countries where people like you are in power...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Hell, you fucking persecute them on a daily basis here. Imagine what is like in countries where people like you are in power...
    You're so prone to exaggeration lamp boy, here you go again saying things that are just not true.
    I do not persecute gays on a daily basis? I have no problem with a person being queer, its just the unnatural act of buggery that I object to. So please refrain from implying things that are not true, its just a cheap shot designed to smear an opposing view, and very anti-democratic of you if I may say so.
  • Options
    LOL... why don't we let the rest of the board be the judge of your kindness towards "queers"?

Hey everyone! Do you think RK persecutes "queers"? Simple yes or no, so we can do a count...
  • Options
    I think he is gay myself.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:

Therefore, the government is quite within its rights to send people back to countries where they're likely to be persecuted.

Though havent we accepted a few Jamacians under the asylum system for being homosexual, or where they gay-rights protestors?

I'm not sure I want to get into a arguement about Rich Kids attitude to homosexuality, thats quite a different topic. Though you might want to not use the word 'queer' the way you do Rich Kid, it does sometimes sound you are using it as a term of insult.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Though havent we accepted a few Jamacians under the asylum system for being homosexual, or where they gay-rights protestors?

IIRC they were not granted asylum - disgracefully, given what frequently happens to gay people in Jamaica. A prominent gay rights activist was murdered there recently: they never caught who did it, and there are strong suspicions that the police connived in the killing.
    I'm not sure I want to get into a arguement about Rich Kids attitude to homosexuality, thats quite a different topic. Though you might want to not use the word 'queer' the way you do Rich Kid, it does sometimes sound you are using it as a term of insult.

I'm sure he is, but we've been over Rich Kid's pig-ignorant and ill-thought-out views on the subject many times in the last coule of weeks...
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm not using the word "queer" as an insult in any way, but so as not to offend anyone on here I'll use the word "gay" in future, but only as long as people refrain from insulting me with their choice of words.
    After all nobody, I hope, is trying to simply throw personal insults around, are they?
  • Options
    one thought that springs to mind,how did the country that he was running away from know that he was gay?.....was he dressed like one of the village people?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I think he is gay myself.
    That would explain a lot, I must say...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not to my girl-friend :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

What on earth is that supposed to mean? Whats wrong with being gay?

Rich kid makes a valid point, you do exaggerate and call people things they aren't just to smear them and discredit their point. It's annoying and proves that you have no real point. Like when you call me a BNP troll repeatedly, despite the fact that I vote Labour and have written articles condemning the BNP.

To be honest in this case I think it was tragic that he took his own life, but people take their own lives every day due to cruel injustices, why do you feel the need to latch on to this specific case?

As Rich Kid pointed out you don't know the circumstances of his asylum case and why he was refused. It could very well be that the government was entirely correct in refusing him asylum, perhaps he wasnt gay at all and was a violent criminal. You don't know so you can't criticise the Home Office for his suicide however tragic it is (although why is this particular suicide so tragic for you lot? It happens all the time... :chin: )
  • Options
    Isn't that immoral, having a girlfriend?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Isn't that immoral, having a girlfriend?

Sex outside marriage is a big no-no.

Isn't it rather hypocritical, Rich Kid, to accuse others of sin, and pass judgemental comment on them, when you're making the beast with two backs with someone you aren't married to?
  • Options
    Indeed.

And now it becomes even clearer why RK went all red-faced and refused to answer a simple question about his opinion on oral sex despite being asked about 200 times.

Clearly anal sex between men is unnatural but oral sex between a man and a woman is not, is it? At the end of the day we all know God gave women a mouth so they could suck their boyfriends off...
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Sex outside marriage is a big no-no.

Isn't it rather hypocritical, Rich Kid, to accuse others of sin, and pass judgemental comment on them, when you're making the beast with two backs with someone you aren't married to?
    How do you know what I do in my personal life? You haven't a clue so please refrain from inventing things as you usually do.

Well said groovechampion, a well considered and well written piece.
  • Options
    Would you care to answer now what are your thoughts on oral sex?