Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Make friends or get sleep?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
OK, I've got myself a slight dilemma at the moment. Last Thursday, I started working at a shop in Haven. Now, I'm really enjoying working there. I've been invited to go on Thursday night to go out bowling with them. Not just those I work with in the shop, but all those who work in that Haven site this year.

A chance to get to know the other staff, to chat, to laugh, to flirt. It's a one-off, there won't be any repeats of this. Apparently, this event only ever happens once a year. But as always, I've got an issue. On Friday, I've got to be up at 5am. I'm leaving the house at 6am to get to the train station in Bangor to catch a train to London. The bowling starts at 7.30pm and goes on for hours on end into the night.

I've got no idea what to do. Do I stay at home, not get to know the staff who work there, but get lots of sleep? Or do I go along, perhaps make new friends in the process, but spend most of Friday walking round the streets of London looking like a zombie?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sure you can get some sleep before 5am (or make it an all nighter, which might be better) and then get some sleep on the train to London, cause that's gonna be pretty damn long I imagine. Relish the challenge mate.
  • Options
    Sure you can get some sleep before 5am (or make it an all nighter, which might be better) and then get some sleep on the train to London, cause that's gonna be pretty damn long I imagine.
    The journey to London lasts 3 hours and 25 minutes. Do you reckon that's enough? It might be for me assuming I get a decent night's kip in the hostel on Friday.
  • Options
    I would say go out with them. Like Tim said you can always get some sleep on the train.

If you don't go you'll probably end up regretting not going. Surely your up for feeling abit grumpy in the morning if it means you made some friends and had a good time.

Go for it :)
  • Options
    I agree. One reason I started this job was to meet people. It might well be something of a paradox if I were to turn this down. Thanks, this is very good advice here.
  • Options
    I'd go along as you said it's a one off.
  • Options
    I say go :)

I also, agree with GoodFella's saying of you'll probably regret not going.
  • Options
    Go, stay up, sleep on train.
  • Options
    What kind of pansy are you?!

Go, crash for an hour or so when you get home, drink some coffee, snooze on the train, more coffee (or something stronger) then you'll be fine.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    more coffee (or something stronger) then you'll be fine.

Stargalaxy the speed freak. :chin:
  • Options
    Stargalaxy the speed freak. :chin:

Actually that sounds like a dire plan, he's so ernest already, I dread to think what he'd be like after a few hours on base.
  • Options
    :lol:

but i agree with everyne else.

go, you dont even have to stay all night if you dont want to. Go, enjoy yourself. grab a couple of hrs kip, sleep on the train, drink coffee and remember pro pluss is your friend :D
  • Options
    Having no or not much sleep once in a while won't do you any harm.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The journey to London lasts 3 hours and 25 minutes. Do you reckon that's enough? It might be for me assuming I get a decent night's kip in the hostel on Friday.

Got it in a nutshell.

Go. You will regret it if you don't. Stay up all night and get a bit of sleep on the train. You can sleep on Friday night in the hostel.

I get the impression you think too much about things :)
  • Options
    I refuse to meet u if you don't go on thursday night :p. We can drink lots coffee if you're that tired..lol
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    What kind of pansy are you?!

:lol:

Go out, enjoy yourself, sleep on train.
    Stop over analyzing everything.
  • Options
    pro plus and coffee is for pussies

i managed to go 41 hours with sleep over the last weekend before i went to bed, and that included a shift at work and going to the manc meet

plus the last sleep i had before that was only 4 hours

so go on, make friends, you will be all the better for it, couple of nights of good sleep after the weekend and you will be fine, everyone has to live life a little, i sometimes think stressing the body and then recovering is a good thing to do every now and again
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    pro plus and coffee is for pussies

i managed to go 41 hours with sleep over the last weekend before i went to bed, and that included a shift at work and going to the manc meet

plus the last sleep i had before that was only 4 hours

And??? What ya want? A medal??
  • Options
    no, but im just telling SG he can recover from whatever stress he will put on his body

so why not enjoy himself
  • Options
    Go, seriously you'll love it. I've been to a few of these type of things, they are always great and you end up coming home feeling so happy stuff :D

I've just realised thats something else i miss about mu old job with.. that place i worked :(
  • Options
    Yeah, you shouldn't pass up an opportunity like this. Just catch up on sleep later..and you can always take loads of pro plus..or whatever.
  • Options
    I refuse to meet u if you don't go on thursday night :p. We can drink lots coffee if you're that tired..lol
    Okay, okay, I'll go! It consists of a meal and some bowling afterwards. Oh yes, and a lot of flirting as most of the people who work at the Haven site this year are women. Very attractive ones, mostly.
    Stop over analyzing everything.
    Yeah...
  • Options
    I still think you're only about 11 years old.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I still think you're only about 11 years old.
    This coming from a man who's about 61, by my calculations.
  • Options
    About that yep. Though at least I dont need to tell my parents where I'm going when I leave the house or have my mittens secured to my coat so I dont loose them.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    About that yep. Though at least I dont need to tell my parents where I'm going when I leave the house or have my mittens secured to my coat so I dont loose them.
    Like there's anything wrong with that....

Ooooh, bedtime!
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, just to let you know the event was terrible in the end. I tend to cope badly in large groups of people. I had a panic attack pretty soon after arriving. I didn't do any bowling as a result, neither did I eat anything. I left there pretty quickly. Rest assured I won't be going out with any of my work colleagues again anytime soon.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear your night didn't go too well. Just out of interest why do you find larger groups harder to cope with, if i didn't know the people too well i would prefer to go in a larger group.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Sorry to hear your night didn't go too well. Just out of interest why do you find larger groups harder to cope with, if i didn't know the people too well i would prefer to go in a larger group.
    Good question. Most probably because I only knew one or two of them. For example, when at TheSite.org meet, I coped far far better. I can't really explain this one myself...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I get kind of the same... I feel much more comfortable when I'm in a group of few people than many. Just 1 or 2 others are best, 5 and more and I feel an outsider.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, just to let you know the event was terrible in the end. I tend to cope badly in large groups of people. I had a panic attack pretty soon after arriving. I didn't do any bowling as a result, neither did I eat anything. I left there pretty quickly. Rest assured I won't be going out with any of my work colleagues again anytime soon.

Seriously you need to lighten up. Just think "fuck it" who cares what these people think and just go along with the entirely selfish desire to have fun yourself. You're not there to appease or impress other people, just let go!

I'm normally pretty anti-drugs, but I reckon they might do you some good!