Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Panorama on Crime 17/4/2005

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    in the case of the IRA yes...it's more like "this is our territory...don't move in or else" same as in loyalist areas aswell i suppose...

Yes, sure there was the loyalist feud. Guaranteed to be down to drugs and who runs where. There is so much money and power to be gained from drugs that the paramilitaries apparently on eachothers political side will fight with eachother to get that power and money. It is a joke. And yes, everyone is getting sick of it. I remember being in a club which I'll not name but it's near Armagh, now closed I think. But what I was told was that on one side of the club the IRA were dealing pills and on the other the UVF were dealing pills. Tis madness that this is what it has come to.
    in general the ira don't partake in drug dealing ... the majority of drugs brought into this country is by loyalist paramilitaries

the ira are against drug dealing or ue ... of course not much can really be done if you take drugs but if you sell them its a completly different story ... you'd be treated in the same way as a joyrider or any other 'bad' people..

loyalist paramilitaries such as the uda are more like a gang than a group with political aims .. there's even a few catholics in the uda ... sorta contradicts their 'every catholic is a target claim' .. though one thing ive heard is that they're very strict about the age of people buying drugs from them, they won't sell to younger people ... and maybe thats half of the reason people end up getting punishment beatings!! its always worse from both sides if people sell to kids

the ira make alot of money through things such as counterfeiting the like (maybe that bank robbery? -well done whoever the fuck done that!)

the psni is a good effort but theres nowhere near enough trust from the republican community .. catholics are also discouraged from joining the psni but most people wouldn't even want to .. i wouldn't
    I've heard that before that the IRA are not as involved in drug dealing as the other side. I'd be surprised if they werent involved, they have their fingers in every other money making pie.
    I would absolutely guarantee some factions of the IRA are involved in drugs. There is no way they would sit back and let the loyalists bask in the incredible wealth to be made from the business.

But I do appreciate that some paramilitaries are against anti-social behaviour and just try and keep order in their communities. That guy who was crucified, who was a well known joy-rider and general trouble maker, springs to mind. It's a strange state of affairs but I suppose in many areas where these groups operate people have more respect for the provos than the police so it makes sense. Don't agree with it though.
    addicted7 wrote:
    I suppose in many areas where these groups operate people have more respect for the provos than the police so it makes sense.

I think you mean fear, rather than respect.
    Some of the IRA are involved in dealing, they beat up and kill dealers because they want other dealers taking away their customers.

About 4 years ago a big dealer was shot by DAAD, set up by the IRA, direct action against drugs in one of the local pubs i'd always get my carryouts, he was starting to bring harder drugs into the area and was killed for it. Nowadays though thats not really happening anymore, there are too many dealers around but their not on a massive scale, an E dealer I know has links to republician paramilitaries and he's actually pushing alot about, so they must be in on it in someway.
    the IRA would be the one's gettng protection money for letting dealers deal...if some hot shot wenton his own in front of them then he would be in trouble but the loyalists would be the main one's bringing it into the country

addicted you're talking about the arena arne't you...never went to it myself...totally regret it like...heard it was an amazing spot
    turlough wrote:
    addicted you're talking about the arena arne't you...never went to it myself...totally regret it like...heard it was an amazing spot

Aye, that's the place. I used to go loads a few years back when it was at its peak. Fucking brilliant spot with great djs. It was usully pretty much hard house: Scott Project, Joy Kitikonti, Lisa Lashes and I must have went to about 5 Fergie nights! The resident was Chris Davis (now in the Matrix I believe) and he was fantastic, just as good as any of the big names they'd have in on the night. They used to have alot of oldskool hardcore nights as well. Mad spot.
    you're making me all jealous now...all my older mates used to go to it...came back and said it was the bomb...do you go to the matrix...am gonna definately head down there some weekend...
    Aint been to the Matrix yet. The guy who used to do our buses to the Arena has kind of stopped clubbing now and noone else can be arsed with the responsibility. Definitely want to go sometime though, so hopefully I'll get going soon. When I come back from uni for the summer most likely.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Aint been to the Matrix yet. The guy who used to do our buses to the Arena has kind of stopped clubbing now and noone else can be arsed with the responsibility. Definitely want to go sometime though, so hopefully I'll get going soon. When I come back from uni for the summer most likely.

dead on...if you're planning on going send us a pm and i'll meet ya down there and we'll chew our jaws :thumb:
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think you mean fear, rather than respect.

that certainly isn't the case all the time .. there is an element of fear in that you know not to fuck about but there is a fair bit of respect .. i mean the pira was initially set up as the ira weren't doing enough to protect the nationalist communities that were under attack, without them fuck knows how things would have turned out

the only people who would really fear them would be the people who have a reason to fear them ... it may not be the most effective form of policing but its far superior to anything the psni could do, and it doesnt look likely to change anytime soon so whether its agreed with or not its just the way its gonna be

to be honest a very republican area is the place i'd feel safest in
    turlough wrote:
    dead on...if you're planning on going send us a pm and i'll meet ya down there and we'll chew our jaws :thumb:

No bother lad. Aint been to a hardhouse clubbin night in years. More into drum'n'bass and the like now, but would be a bit nostalgic to lose the plot to a bit of hard stuff. Ha...you'd swear I was ancient or something, I'm only fucking 19! Clubbin' caught me well before it was due to!
    coach is a good spot too, ever been there?