Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Panorama on Crime 17/4/2005

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dont know if anyone saw this last night but i'll describe events and see what you think.

Toward the end of the programme came a scene in which police received a 'tip-off' from the community, on a bradford estate. They were going to execute a drugs warrant on a house. So there they are in the briefing, going over plans; 'OK we go in through the side door and i want everyone found brought into the living room as soon as possible'. Theres easily 10-13 officers executing this one. So they go into the house, put the door in and go piling into the front room of a surprisingly well kept and nice looking house 'RIGHT STAY WHERE YOU ARE, EVERYONE INTO THE FRONTROOM'.

The camera gets into the front room to see what (faces blurred) are a bunch of hood and capped early-mid teens and a few girls of the same age and im thinking 'fuck they are getting younger, this is terrible'....then the voiceover comes in...

"The police found several 14-16 year olds smoking cannabis and playing loud music"... and one officer then says 'Right we've executed a drugs warrant on these premises because the community are fed up with you being noisey and smoking drugs'.

ok for reasons of objectivity i shall split my responses into two sections because otherwise i will get all muddled up.

Objectively; this is evidence that the police (particularly in this age group) can and will undertake quite major operations against young cannabis users, so you arent entirely safe from the law even in your own (or parents) homes.

Subjectively; i stopped shouting at the television after about 5 minutes. 10 officers, and 3 out the back, for a bunch of teenagers smoking dope...2 vans, 3 cars and half the culprits as officers. Over-kill? you tell me...

Comments

• Options
    I missed it, though I'll try and catch it if they repeat it.

It certainly is a good example. The police, like any other large organisation, has members who are lazy and petty, busts like this arent common but they certainly do happen especially in smaller areas.

Its totally pointless though and solves nothing.
  • Options
    lol typical, sounds more like paranoia on crime.........
  • Options
    I watched this and stress the same oppinions as you.... seems like police these days are really targeting cannabis use, as i found out not long ago...
    I can tell you that Police do not take cannabis lightly! Like most youngsters today think.

Something else seriously pissed me off on the programm, where the known trouble makers were visited by the police several times a day just to check up on them, talk about taking the piss.... bordering on harrassment!

And then people wonder why younger generations despise the poilce!
  • Options
    the guy outside the night club lol, there were about 8 officers that arrested him for swearing, he wouldnt of got so wound up if there werent so many policemen in his face like that
  • Options
    there were about 8 officers that arrested him for swearing

alot of old bill can be very antagonistic...
  • Options
    i'd like to think those coppers are in the minority and give the rest a bad name..........the ones on a power trip are just looking for a reaction then your liable to get nicked, don't give them one it pisses them off more if you just smirk and laugh at them.......
  • Options
    smirk and laugh and they WILL do you...coppers hate arrogant bastards and will do there level best to see you done for whatever possible.
  • Options
    Seems a bit over the top for a few people smoking but that's what the government wants to do, they want to send out a message that no person will be exempt from taking drugs.
  • Options
    smirk and laugh and they WILL do you...coppers hate arrogant bastards and will do there level best to see you done for whatever possible.

it's not an offense to smile at a copper afaik, how can they prove you're even laughing at them you could just be insane..........just make sure you're not carrying anything, what can they do u for? winds them up something chronic though.....
  • Options
    I think he means if the police are talking to you about something and you start smirking and laughing trying to act the big lad they will make sure you get done with something.
  • Options
    It's not worth giving the cops shit no matter if you're innocent or not. Because they'll be a cunt to you in the future should you run into them again, and what if that time you are carrying something. I find most of the time if you're just civil and cooperative they'll be civil back.

On saying that though, most trouble I have had with cops has been with female cops on some kind of power trip trying to show they aren't pushovers or something. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Some police can be not too bad but round here when you see the police you feel a threat, the police are not liked here.

I remember when talking to a police man giving him cheeky answers back and laughing, the usual when you were younger, he turned round and give me a lift home.
  • Options
    I understand the RUC arent exactley flavour of the month (well, century) over there...
  • Options
    I understand the RUC arent exactley flavour of the month (well, century) over there...

well i know it's hard to understand but when the people who are supposed to protect you murder and pillage your comminity for a century...you're hardly going to warm to them...half of my village got burned down by them (or their equivalent name) back in the 20's...hate the bastards (and i don't think they like me either :D )
  • Options
    i assume you live in a republican terroitory...
  • Options
    i assume you live in a republican terroitory...

south armagh...probably the most republican area in the whole of Ireland...you're either a provo lover or a druggy and being the latter ain't a good thing...especially if you're a dealer...no knees left haha
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Some police can be not too bad but round here when you see the police you feel a threat, the police are not liked here.

I remember when talking to a police man giving him cheeky answers back and laughing, the usual when you were younger, he turned round and give me a lift home.

Free lifts home from the police are great. :yes:

I remember me and my mate were walking back home from a night out, totally steamin'. We decided to take a 'de-tour' through our then school grounds. As we were walking up the hill to the school the cops drove up and give us the whole 'what are you doing here?' routine. There was one male cop who was dead-on and a bitchy power trippin' she-cop. They gave us a lift home anyway because we were so drunk. I remember being dropped at my mates house and asking them if they wanted any money for the ride or something. Twas funny at the time. She-cop didn't seem impressed though. Free lift all the same like!
  • Options
    are the cops obliged to give you a lift home if you're stuck cos on new years eve i was standing in a phone box off my head...snowing like fuck outside too and the cops pulled up to see what was happening...wouldn't take me home...had to walk too... :(
  • Options
    heh, no respect for police whatsoever over here

there's much greater worries than the polce when it comes to drugs

with the police they may know you're up to something, but they can't do shit until they prove it

with the other boys they generally know everything and do what they want about it :nervous:

its so hard to explain ...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I never been given a lift home by the gavers, though they have taken me to hospital or the nick on a few occasions.

I have a quite a bit of respect for the police in general which even suprises me considering I've had a fair few runins with 'em - though when it comes to drugs most havn't got a clue.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    you can be walking around with a bag of caffeine, they nick you and then you can have lots of fun in the nick giving them the runaround...they give you a free meal and allsorts :D
  • Options

The RUC don't exist anymore. It is now the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    The RUC don't exist anymore. It is now the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).

same thing really ;)

there's my republican grassroots showinbg through again

tbh i haven't got any respect for the peelers or the paramilitaries they're as bad as each other...
  • Options
    you can be walking around with a bag of caffeine, they nick you and then you can have lots of fun in the nick giving them the runaround...they give you a free meal and allsorts :D

I once got caught snorting a little line of ket in the car park outside college, and spent several hours in a cell for it. I'm not even really that keen on ket either which pissed me off.
    When they released me they said they'd be in touch but I never heard another thing about it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Tauntons?
  • Options
    Tauntons?

Barton Peveril.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    same thing really ;)

there's my republican grassroots showinbg through again

tbh i haven't got any respect for the peelers or the paramilitaries they're as bad as each other...

Fair enough. I can totally understand your viewpoint like. I'm not defending the PSNI but even a friend of mine who is a Sinn Fein youth liason worker can appreciate that the police are trying to clean up their image, and improve relations with all sections of society.

I have absolutely no tolerance for paramilitaries either. You can't even respect them for having a cause because they don't anymore. It is all about drugs, not political aims.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    . It is all about drugs, not political aims.

aye thats true....thats why you sorta feel guilty when you buy yokes...you know where the money is going to like...it's fucked up in how in a supossed modern day country these factions can still weild so much power and influence over its' communities...i think everyone is getting sick and tired of it now...
  • Options
    so they move the drugs in at a profitable level and then go bashing up dealers on the lower level to retain moral authroity... :confused:
  • Options
    so they move the drugs in at a profitable level and then go bashing up dealers on the lower level to retain moral authroity... :confused:

in the case of the IRA yes...it's more like "this is our territory...don't move in or else" same as in loyalist areas aswell i suppose...