Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis Car Driver Kills 8 People!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mitch Trelliving (19), killed 8 people in a horrific car crash after smoking acnnabis. He lost control of his car at nearly 100mph.
Drug users are in my view the scum of the earth especially when they do reckless things like driving a car under the influence and kill not just themselves but other innocent parties.

What do you cannabis users think? I can almost predict your responses!

Comments

• Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4440537.stm

"A statement from coroner Roger Stone read to the inquest in Worthing, West Sussex, on Wednesday said that although Mr Treliving had previously used cannabis resin, it was not possible to say whether he was under the influence prior to the crash near Brighton on 16 May".
  • Options
    A pathologist said tests revealed trace amounts of alcohol in his blood but more significant levels of cannabis.

Dr Patricia Beresford said, "It is not possible to say when he last used the drug as it remains in the body, particularly of a heavy user"
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Mitch Trelliving (19), killed 8 people in a horrific car crash after smoking acnnabis. He lost control of his car at nearly 100mph.
    Drug users are in my view the scum of the earth especially when they do reckless things like driving a car under the influence and kill not just themselves but other innocent parties.

what exactly is your point moron, it can't even be proved that he was high at the time.........cannabis stays in your system for days and weeks after the high has worn off........drug users are scum? ever had a pint moron? what about pharmaceutical drug users, or fag smokers? scum ay.........you really are a twat......i wouldn't advocate DUI but i've been in cars several times where the driver was stoned or drunk, i know when i felt more safe.......

you just said in your last post the pathologist said it's not possible to say when he last used the drug..........so again what is your point?
  • Options
    Driving under the influence of any drug, be it alcohol, cannabis, prescription drugs etc is dangerous.

We ALL know that.

This isnt an issue of the cannabis, its an issue of someone who drives while intoxicated (if they were and that isnt proven).
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think most people would agree that cannabis has an effect on driving skills. But, as yet there is no accurate and inexpensive way of measuring cannabis intoxication levels, as there is for alcohol. It is debatable what levels of the active ingredients of cannabis need to be in your bloodstream to intoxicate you. It wasn't proven that he had been smoking before he drove, only that he may have been smoking. He had, however, been drinking. As has been mentioned, this is about the driver's recklessness, more than about cannabis.
  • Options
    Rich Kid - do you think all people who drink alcohol are also scum?

P.S.
    I'm not a cannabis user, I can't stand the stuff.
  • Options
    Because of the manner in which Cannabis is excreated by the body it stays in the system in large quantities for quite some time...the point is however it only stays around in majorly psychoactive terms (effecting the brain) for a much shorter time.

You could have traces of cannabis in your bloodstream right now, if you had been standing, maybe in a small pub or other confined space, and inhaled the smoke. You not have felt any effects but its still there. THC, the main and one of two psychoactive chemicals in Cannabis is not water soluble, therefore it is harder for the body to excrete, coupled with the fact that cannabis is also very soluble in fat. Your body excretes alot more water than it does burn fat so it would follow that it would stay around in larger quantities for longer than say, alcohol.

A half decent breif would destroy this charge, it would be circumstance that would get him (remains of spliffs in the ash tray for example, but then wwe get on to the problems with circumstantial evidence)

The zeal with which you decry cannabis use does not seem equally proportional to other substances, more widely used, which could also interfere with driving ability.

This does not equate to an excusing of D.U.I (of cannabis), it is a view of the event in context.

ps: also a non-cannabis user who thinks it does harm potential for harm, just as much as jumping to conclusions or wild statements do.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Drug users are in my view the scum of the earth!

You obviously don't know enough about the reality of drugs or drug users.
    You want a discussion about the 'evils' of drugs then go ahead but unitl you prove that you have a genuine reasob for your opinion and show some understanding then I'd refrain from making comments like that, they just make you look like tit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Drug users are in my view the scum of the earth

You are entitled to your opinion but shouldn't come in here trolling and blatantly trying to provoke a reaction.

In response to the thread's story, anyone wreckless enough to drive at such speeds, regardless of what they may or may not have taken, is going to be putting lives at risk. Cannabis doesn't make the driver do those speeds though. People that unnecessarily put other peoples' lives at risk are scum of the earth but drug users are not.
  • Options
    Rich Kid- Do yourself a favour and leave this site, your a total ignorant little child who dosen't have a clue what he's talking about.

What about the people who drink and drive? are they total scum? the bottom line is people shouldn't drive while under the infulence of any mind altering substances.

If anything cannabis would cause a person to drive slower rather than faster.
  • Options
    the point is not that he had been using cannabis. the point is that he was driving dangerously
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

you really need to smoke a joint,cos you know fuck all about this subject!
    driving whilst stoned,is more likly to make you go slower,in my opinion,and take more care.obviously i'm not condoning driving whilst stoned but they did do a test on 5th gear about this,and they concluded that driving pissed was worse.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    you really need to smoke a joint,cos you know fuck all about this subject!
    driving whilst stoned,is more likly to make you go slower,in my opinion,and take more care.obviously i'm not condoning driving whilst stoned but they did do a test on 5th gear about this,and they concluded that driving pissed was worse.

thats true to a degree...i've (stupidly) been in cars with drunk people, didn't feel safe at all...people who are stoned generally know what they are doing...

couldn't be arsed replying to what rich_kid said...he won't listen and it would be a waste of typing time...just ignore him...
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with getting pissed outta your head, as long as you don't go too far everything dosen't get too out of hand.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Do you believe that alcohol should be banned?
  • Options
    I have, many years back driven around my home town after a couple of smokes, its actually very frightening, your consentration is totally knackered.

You're going down the road and your mind wanders and you start thinking about totally different things, I dread to think what my reaction time was.

Its an incredibly selfish thing to do, you are putting not only your own life at risk but also others.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I have, many years back driven around my home town after a couple of smokes, its actually very frightening, your consentration is totally knackered.

It scares me to drive stoned aswell though I find that only increases my concentration. Your judgment has got to be effected by any drug and therefore it's not worth driving while under the influence - even many prescription drugs.

I used to drink/drug drive a lot but I've lost a few mates to drink driving and no the only substance I'll take before driving is coke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    the only substance I'll take before driving is coke.

how so? would that not make you think you're all cocky and all behind the wheel...
  • Options
    I occasionally have a smoke and drive, it actually has a positive effect on me... I feel as though my concentration is increased 100% and generally feel more relaxed and in control. As for my reactions, they are just the same if not better than if I were sober.

Alcohol on the other hand, makes things worse for sure!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The way I see it is if I have an accident, which is possible for anyone at any time, and someone happens to be badly hurt of die, then I would want to know that there was nothing else I could have done to avoid it. I think that if I wsa under the influence of anything, I wouldn't have that confidence.
  • Options
    thats exactley it :yes:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    how so? would that not make you think you're all cocky and all behind the wheel...

Taking coke before driving is a very bad idea.

If you're coked out your face, doing stuff isn't easy - apart from talking - and bumbling about is usually common. I can sometimes barely change channel with a remote control.
  • Options
    Driving under the influence of any drug is fucking stupid.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Taking coke before driving is a very bad idea.

I've never had a problem.

I remember there was a survey done into drug driving and coke actually improved reaction time and judgement though at the same time it did boost confidence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You're an idiot.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're an idiot.

Went out for a ride yesterday and visited several pubs, had several ciders and a a couple of pills.
    The only time you can get wrecked and not risk getting done by the gavers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    As I said, you're an idiot.
  • Options
    Skive;

If you were driving mate i'm inclined to agree with Blaggy...common sense sunshine, you might think you are made of teflon, but i tells ya i sure as fuck aint...dont fancy being on the pavement when you come bombing it through Ashurst or whereever :no:
  • Options
    If you were driving mate i'm inclined to agree with Blaggy...common sense sunshine, you might think you are made of teflon, but i tells ya i sure as fuck aint...dont fancy being on the pavement when you come bombing it through Ashurst or whereever :no:

Quite often when my turn as driver comes around I will go out ravin and will stick to water all night and maybe a couple of lugs from a bullet. That is it. I'm not talking about driving after a binge.

If I go ravin until 6 in the morning I'm a far better driver if I've done a couple of lines than if I've done nothing resulting in me being too tired to drive safely anyway.

I'm always aware of my ability to drive and will quite happily stay put if my judgment might even be slightly affected. I'm well aware of the dangers of drving under the influence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    and cocaine wont make you over-confident?

Tiredness is not cured by cocaine it is masked. Use public transport or have someone go with you who wont touch anything...