Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First ever Job interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just got a phonecall from woolworths, they want me to come in for an interview on Teusday next week, the only problem is i've never been to one

i know the basics, smile be my self, dress neatly,

but do i wear shit and trowsers or just smart casual clothes? Help.. I don't know what to do..

Advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    Just got a phonecall from woolworths, they want me to come in for an interview on Teusday next week, the only problem is i've never been to one
    What, you've never been to a Woolworths before? :p

Only joking... well, first thing is you don't need to wear shit, that could give the wrong impression. :p In the case of Woolworths, look smart and presentable. Don't go over the top when it comes to clothes, but you don't want to look trashy either. Keep it fairly simple, you need to be remembered for what you said, not what you wore! (though looking good will no doubt help)
  • Options
    Essentially you're fucked.
  • Options
    Why am i?
  • Options
    ok.. i got told by a friend to wear trowsers and shirt with a nice jumper

tbh, if they phoned me up they think i am suitible for at least an interview.. i dont think im fucked
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    ginner wrote:

Why is that? It isn't hard to stack shelves and stuff.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a shirt. A shirt and tie is too much, yes, but a shirt can give the impression of a smart but casual sort of job. He made the effort to wear a shirt rather than just come in with his normal, every day clothes.

Hellfire, if you have never been in Woolies go into town and take a wander around the shop, get to know some of the things that it sells as you may be asked about it. But essentially I wouldn't worry too much. At the end of the day it is a shop job and your first interview so don't expect too much and don't worry about it too much.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    ok.. i got told by a friend to wear trowsers and shirt with a nice jumper... tbh, if they phoned me up they think i am suitible for at least an interview. i dont think im fucked
    Trousers - fine. Don't wanna go there in shorts with hairy legs on show - unless your prospective boss likes that kinda thing. :nervous: A jumper should be okay, but nothing flashy! As for you apparently being "fucked", I think that was a personal attack which contains no merit or justification.
  • Options
    thanks guys,

i have been to the woolworths, i use it alot.. great deals on drink LOL..

i think i'll be working at the entertainment desk but i think i forgot the names who to ask for when i get there *blush*
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    i think i'll be working at the entertainment desk but i think i forgot the names who to ask for when i get there *blush*
    Is that where they sell CDs, DVDs and such? Right, first train to Braintree... :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think that was a personal attack which contains no merit or justification.

Darn!
  • Options
    lol.. its not in braintree :)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    lol.. its not in braintree :)
    Where is it then? :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Witham
  • Options
    Well, good luck for that interview next Tuesday. I hope that there'll be some news for you to tell me about come the meet in London! :)
  • Options
    if i get a job i might have to pull out of the meet incase i have to work
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    When I went for my interview for my job at brewers fayre, I wore a black suit, white shirt and a red neck scarf.. I beat 4 or 5 other people to the job

that's probably cause they liked you though, not cause you looked super-smart :p

woolies people wear a provided unform, anyway, so as long as you look neat and clean, you shouldn't have a problem. nice (ironed!) shirt and trousers should do the job. i don't know what kind of jumper your friend means, but i have horrific images in my head.
  • Options
    a nice one.. not a horrinle one ;)
  • Options
    are any jumpers nice?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ginner wrote:

This kind of comment is really unhelpful - especially when a person is quite nervous about something. It also goes against the purpose of these boards and the TheSite rules.

I'm wondering why you wrote it, and I hope you realise that if you have a personal issue with the person who started this thread then these discussion boards are not the place to air it, and especially not in that way.

Please be more considerate in the future.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    if i get a job i might have to pull out of the meet incase i have to work
    Well, I'm starting work tomorrow as it happens. I've also arranged to go into London next Friday. All has been arranged and paid for, so I can't cancel. Ah, such is the advantage of living so far away from London, I suppose.
    **Helen** wrote:
    This kind of comment is really unhelpful - especially when a person is quite nervous about something. It also goes against the purpose of these boards and the TheSite rules. I'm wondering why you wrote it, and I hope you realise that if you have a personal issue with the person who started this thread then these discussion boards are not the place to air it, and especially not in that way.
    Yes, but can you really be surprised by these comments? I constantly have to deal with prats such as this who get kicks out of making personal attacks on people. I could comment further on Ginner, but I'd have to break several rules to do so.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    To be fair, I don't think you can go over dressed

When I went for my interview for my job at brewers fayre, I wore a black suit, white shirt and a red neck scarf.. I beat 4 or 5 other people to the job

I agree, when I went for my job interview (admittedly for a weekend office job but still) I wore a suit and tie. I think it's better to go over-dressed than under-dressed, at least it looks like you're seriously after the job, worst that'll happen is they think you made too much of an effort - which isn't that bad really. Also check all the other stuff, like your hair, nails and shoes are clean and presentable. It sounds like overkill but you can never tell what can put people off.

For the interview, don't try to stress about it too much (easier said than done I know!). Look interested when the interviewer talks to you, especially if they give you a tour or something. Try and come up with a question or two to ask about the company and the job... I had so many my interview was two way, which is what it is supposed to be, remembering you're interviewing them to see if the job is for you as well. Be relaxed with the interviewer and try and have an interesting story to tell them when they ask you about past experience and that, I told my now line manager about the time I fell off Ben Nevis when I was talking about teamwork.

Don't stress about all these points - trust me, you'll be surprised how much comes to you that you can say.

Good luck! :D
  • Options
    Well T minus 16 hours 30minutes, nervous... i've picked out a pair of trowsers and shirt to wear, might do a tie i am not 100% sure, Sorted a few questions in my head out that i might possibly ask,

looking foward to it aswell,

thanks all
  • Options
    If it's a "fashion" shirt, then don't bother with a tie. Otherwise, a tie is good. I'd pass on the jumper idea.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    trowsers

It's 'trousers'. :crying:

Good Luck though :thumb:
  • Options
    No.. its one of my old school shirts :)
  • Options
    SHIRT. TROUSERS. TIE.

Don't wear a jumper - WHATEVER it is...

Stick with the basics - they shouldn't fail to look at least halfway smart if you've ironed them properly and they're nice and clean.

Try not to wear too loud a tie with your shirt - am assuming it's white, if one of your school shirts...?

Aye.
  • Options
    i wore a shirt and tie.... really neat.. i didnt get a one on one interview and i didnt get the job..
  • Options
    more detailed..

first of all i we got told to sit down and find out about the person next to me. i did it, go alot of information and.. did well, the next one we had to do a presintation on a product.. did that fine aswell but then got told nope.. and didnt even give us a reson
  • Options
    :)

• Options
    problem is, even for jobs like that, if theres a few people going for the job, and one of them has no experience, then they wont give that person a job. Its stupid and disheartning.
  • Options
    its not, employers have the right to take on the best person for the job

hellfire should sue them under the freedom of information act and find out why he was exactly turned down :P