Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question about Coke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My bf used to be heavily into coke (before that it was Heroin), but since I've applied the pressure he has turned to weed. On the occasion he will do coke if it's around. Now my question is why does he get so sick after the coke is done?? I find it weird cuz of his past use. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    What do you mean he gets sick?

What he craves it? He's tired, irritable, snappy, aggressive? That sort of sick?

Thats part of the drugs action, you go up, feel great, then come down and feel shite.
  • Options
    there could be several (well actually many) reasons for this...

Cocaine in large doses in toxic and can make you feel quite ill afterwards...

At the end of a large binge of cocaine, the brain initiates a massive reuptake of dopamine neurotransmitters in a very short space of time. Dopamine is one of the chemicals involved in reward function in the brain and one of the key components in the cocaine high. Cocaine releases dopamine in the brain and then creates a temporary state in which the reuptake of these dopamine neurotransmitters are prevented from being reabsorbed by the brain. When the effect fades the brain suddenly removes very abruptly all of these pleasurable elements floating around the brain. This can result in paranoia, confusion, temporary depressive states and feelings of tiredness.

Of course extreme symptoms of this COULD denote underlying medical conditions that are at play...if it is making him really ill perhaps he should knock it on the head, and certainly get down to the GP to make sure everything is ok.

Factors that will effect how he feels will include; Amount to cocaine taken and purity (how much extra crap is put in to maximise profit), His own mental state or disposition, his general state of health (particularly in the cardio vascular area), other drugs or alcohol taken with the cocaine.
  • Options
    Now that I think of it he doesn't want to talk after the c's done (this happens whether its a small amount or big) and he starts breathing heavily.
    I suppose he gets depressed...that it's finished.
  • Options
    quite possibly...the heavy breathing sounds worrying though...if he's exhibitin those symptoms in the aftermath of a coke session then me probably should get down to his doctor before he does anymore.

It may be that he really shouldnt do any more, especially with his usage history.
  • Options
    Is he panting, sort of having trouble breathing, or is he just having to breathe through his mouth?
  • Options
    I don't think he has trouble breathing, he just breathes the way someone would if they were worried about something. Do you get what I mean??
  • Options
    That may well just be the left over effects of the cocaine and the blocked nose he will have.

Though cocaine does have fairly nasty potential effects on the heart and circulation, if he is looking and sounding quite rough then you need to be on your guard.
  • Options
    labrini wrote:
    I don't think he has trouble breathing, he just breathes the way someone would if they were worried about something. Do you get what I mean??

Yeah that's pretty normal. Comedowns aren't pleasant.
  • Options
    Cocaine is a stimulant and can induce anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Options
    labrini wrote:
    Now that I think of it he doesn't want to talk after the c's done (this happens whether its a small amount or big) and he starts breathing heavily.
    I suppose he gets depressed...that it's finished.

This happened quite often with someone i knew who was an IV coke user. When he was driving he had to get out of the car and stand outside for a little before his breathing would go back to normal. He also requested that me and my friend didnt talk for a few minutes after he had injected. I think it was the panic attack/paranoia stage and he didnt what me or my friend were saying to trigger any bad or paranoid feelings.