Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

New job - oh, goody...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Well, the time has come. Tomorrow morning, I'm calling into Agoriad's (that's the agency who've helped me out, it's the Welsh word for "open") offices. The bloke who's been helping me out will ask me a few questions before taking me to Haven, just outside of town. Next, I meet the boss, he asks me a few questions, and I'm then told what my duties will be. I'm starting there on Tuesday if all goes well, on part-time hours.

My god, I'm so nervous about this, yet excited at the same time! Anyway, so as not to make this thread pointless, how do you normally feel when starting new jobs?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess I can't really say much..as I have only ever had one job (and its not even a proper one..just part time as I'm still at school.) but I felt nervous when I started. I guess no matter how confident you are, you will still be nervous about meeting your colleagues etc. I was lucky in the fact that most of my colleagues are really great and we get on well.

Basically, just be yourself..well the best version of yourself possible. Hopefully you will be competent at the task in hand, which I'm sure you will! Just try and enjoy it, and if it turns out that its not for you, then at least it was an experience.

Good luck x
    i normal worry myself sick that i'll say or do something stupid and get fired on the spot.

it's not happened yet though :thumb:
    Basically, just be yourself..well the best version of yourself possible. Hopefully you will be competent at the task in hand, which I'm sure you will! Just try and enjoy it, and if it turns out that its not for you, then at least it was an experience. Good luck. x
    Thanks for that, I'll let you know how I get on in a few days time. :)
    Good luck, you'll be fine. :)
    I just started a new job, so I sympathise, but I reckon you'll be ok. I mean, there's a lot to learn and stuff but you'vedone the hard part by getting this far so they'll be patient with you. After all they must want you on the team.

Good luck! :thumb:
    I tend not to get nervous about these things, I've been with my current employer for 3 years and 3 months and so it's been a while since I started a new job.
    piccolo wrote:
    I just started a new job, so I sympathise, but I reckon you'll be ok. I mean, there's a lot to learn and stuff but you'vedone the hard part by getting this far so they'll be patient with you. After all they must want you on the team.
    There's a side of me which doesn't believe that, but eh...

Well, thanks for the messages. The only change to the plan is I'll now be starting Thursday morning at 9am, not Tuesday as originally thought. All's gone well, and the boss seemed a nice enough man. Didn't terrify the living hell out of me, so all seems encouraging.
    are you working in Haven as in the holiday camp???
    please tell me its not greenacres?
    Wyetry wrote:
    are you working in Haven as in the holiday camp???
    :yeees: That's the one, dealing with the shops and other day-to-day business.
    Ahhh but your not going to be a red coat or anything....
    Wyetry wrote:
    Ahhh but your not going to be a red coat or anything....
    Highly unlikely.
    Well done Danny on getting the job.
    lea_uk wrote:
    Well done Danny on getting the job.
    Thanks. I'm starting tomorrow morning at 9am. Not sure exactly what will happen. All I was told was turn up in reasonably smart clothing at reception and ask for Les. (the boss, who we get to call by his first name, apparently) I'm nervous about meeting the other staff, but they couldn't possibly be any worse than the staff in that office!
    I'm sure you'll be fine.
    when i worked for bt i turned up on my first day at 6am and was told someone would fetch me
    Well, I've been there for two days now. I turned up Thursday morning at 9am, just as I'd been told. Soon enough, I was being taught how to use the tills. Thankfully, most of the customers were extremely friendly and understanding. Except one fat bald cunt who said I'd over-charged him for things from the bakery. One ear-bashing later from the boss to the customer sorted that out. The afternoon didn't go so well. At about 3pm, I started suffering a panic attack. I had to rush out of the shop, into the toilets. I started shaking uncontrollably, crying my eyes out. A few minutes later, I thought I'd stopped so went into the main office. My supervisor came along, noticed I'd been crying and asked what was wrong. What choice did I have? I had to tell her. Thankfully, she was extremely understanding of it. What a relief.

As for Friday, that started with a bit more time on the tills. Later, I was "educated" on the stock-taking element of the job. That filled much of my afternoon, when I had another panic attack. Damn things. So, I spoke this time to the manager. He was very helpful again, as they had been informed in advance that I had a few problems. Anyhoo, that's pretty much all to say for the time being.

Oh yes, musn't forget to mention something about the people there. The staff seems to consist almost entirely of young and extremely attractive women. I saw one of them coming into the shop and had to stop myself from drooling - what beauty! :D The staff are all very friendly, in particularly Laurie (who taught me about using those damn tills) Sam, who's probably the easiest person to talk to I have ever met, and Loz (well, that's what she insists I call her anyway) who kept giving me hugs. Well, I'm not gonna turn down the chance to talk to and hug a sexy blonde... :naughty:

But anyway, enough about my tastes in women. Everything seems to be working out very well. I'm back there at 11am on Sunday, got a day off tomorrow and got some time off next week to get off to London. Yay! :D
    Glad it all seems to be panning out ok for you :)