Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coke come down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay quick question. I have been craving coke for a while now and have decided I better get round to trying it before I'm in the middle of my exams. Before taking anything I always try and get as much information about the drug before hand. Anyway, I was wondering what is the come down like and how long are its effects on average?

Comments

• Options
    It varies on how much you take, the strength of the coke and if you take it with anything else.

My very first time I did a lot and I mean, a lot - I ended up in bed really ill for 2 days.

Since then it's just like having a hangover from booze for me and sometimes barely even that.
  • Options
    be careful, if you have a craving for coke now i really do wonder what you will think after you have tried it.

one of the problems with cocaine actually is that many people (although not all) find that they can develop usage patterns which do not result in amazingly profound or undesireable comedown symptoms in the same sense as, say E. This means its use isnt as restricted and you can end up using it more often for this reason.

Just remember that you are doing this as an experiment...a long term coke habit is easy to pick up and VERY hard to put down.
  • Options
    DanJ wrote:
    My very first time I did a lot and I mean, a lot - I ended up in bed really ill for 2 days.

Damn thats bad, I tend to be very conservative on my first doses of something new so I hope that won't be a problem.
    Just remember that you are doing this as an experiment...a long term coke habit is easy to pick up and VERY hard to put down.

I dont actually know anyone who has tried coke and not done it again. Im going to have a long think about this, with exams and all it may not be the right time to experiment. Thanks for both of your help.
  • Options
    I haven't done it for years but when I did - I would get sick (stuffy nose, sore throat etc.) every morning after. I have to agree with some of the other posters - it's a very easy habit to pick up and if you do - it's very difficult to stop! Just be careful - as with many other drugs you absolutely can OD (even on the first time), I don't want to sound like a "mommy type" but I would stay away from it if I were you.......but I don't want to tell you what to do, so if you do decide to use it - Just be careful.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Coke can give me stinking headache sometimes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I dont actually know anyone who has tried coke and not done it again. Im going to have a long think about this, with exams and all it may not be the right time to experiment. Thanks for both of your help.

then you hould consider this very carefully. coke can wait, your exams wont. if you are mixing in circles where regular coke use is going on then you really are at risk of becoming part of that practice. Just because they've done it 'again' does not mean of course 'regularly', but im sure it wont take long for you to find out who's dabbling on friday night and who's using more regularly.

Coke is extremely expensive, not a student drug. If i were you i would do alot more reviewing of both your situation in the immediate sense and also alot more thinking about who is caining what in the groups you mix with.
  • Options
    never done it on it's own so haven't got a clue but when i mixed it with yokes it gave me a sore head yes...
  • Options
    one of the problems with cocaine actually is that it does not have an amazingly profound comedown in the same sense as, say E. This means its use isnt as restricted and you can end up using it more often for this reason.

Not true. Comedowns from cocaine are comparable to E in most respects.
  • Options
    no not really it isnt. Cocaine's effect on the body and brain differ from E, as many comedown experiences from E stem from exhaustion due to exhertion while under the influence. This can be combined with a state of serotonin depletion in the brain which is commonly thought to be a primary factor in enacting the temporary depressive states many exhibit after E.

Consumption of large amounts of cocaine, particularly by non-regular users and by those with low tolerance can result in a 'comedown' phase which includes depression and paranoia but the physiological reasons for this are quite different.

What i accept i did not make clear and i failed to mention was that the after effects of cocaine are far more dose specific for many people than E.

I stand by my original implication however that cocaine has the potential for greater abuse in many differing usage patterns because of the ability of the user to take at a gratifying doseage level that will not bring on amazingly profound comedowns similar to E. This is of course dependant upon the psychological and physical predispositions of the user, but simply in preferrence terms many recreational users of cocaine state that their use is precipitated by a disillusionment with other narcotics such as E, for its greater potential to induce the symptoms described above.

This is only an expression of opinion and does not reflect any valid harm comparison between the two but it does acknowledge the differing physiological effects and usage patterns inherent in each substance.

(in light of this i have edited my previous post, i hope it is more clear now. I really should have picked that up in the first place because i can quite see how it could be misleading)
  • Options
    I've done coke once and never touched it again. Such a waste of time. It felt like a strong cigarette buzz for about 5-10 minutes then I felt extremely bored. I did 2 1/2 lines (someone couldn't finish their second so I took the other half).

I'll never understand how anyone could ever become addicted to that pointless drug.
  • Options
    you cant of had good coke
  • Options
    you cant of had good coke

Still even with great coke it's not a very strong buzz as such. Crack is much better.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    poppers in a fag? crack? you just love winding people dont you sunshine :D
  • Options
    poppers in a fag? crack? you just love winding people dont you sunshine :D

I'm not winding anyone up mate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    no not really it isnt. Cocaine's effect on the body and brain differ from E, as many comedown experiences from E stem from exhaustion due to exhertion while under the influence. This can be combined with a state of serotonin depletion in the brain which is commonly thought to be a primary factor in enacting the temporary depressive states many exhibit after E.

Consumption of large amounts of cocaine, particularly by non-regular users and by those with low tolerance can result in a 'comedown' phase which includes depression and paranoia but the physiological reasons for this are quite different.

What i accept i did not make clear and i failed to mention was that the after effects of cocaine are far more dose specific for many people than E.

I stand by my original implication however that cocaine has the potential for greater abuse in many differing usage patterns because of the ability of the user to take at a gratifying doseage level that will not bring on amazingly profound comedowns similar to E. This is of course dependant upon the psychological and physical predispositions of the user, but simply in preferrence terms many recreational users of cocaine state that their use is precipitated by a disillusionment with other narcotics such as E, for its greater potential to induce the symptoms described above.

This is only an expression of opinion and does not reflect any valid harm comparison between the two but it does acknowledge the differing physiological effects and usage patterns inherent in each substance.

(in light of this i have edited my previous post, i hope it is more clear now. I really should have picked that up in the first place because i can quite see how it could be misleading)

Ok...there are pyschological/scientific/biological differences in terms of effect and comedown...i was just pointing out that the comedown from cocaine is comparable to E - in the sense of depression, lethargy etc.

Although cocaine is obviously an addictive drug...the prices restrict use for most people, whereas with pills, at £2 a pop, finances aren't really that much of an issue...

To say cocaine has less of a comedown than E isn't true...I had about 7/9 pills last night, and while the comedown is unpleasant, i've had worse from cocaine. That said, they were pretty weak pills.

Also with pills...there is an added risk with fucking your head up in pyschedelic sense, i'm sure a lot of us have experienced some very weird pyschedelic effects.

Both drugs will run you down badly.
  • Options
    im not winding anyone up mate

i know i was being ironic :D or a smart cunt...or both :D

fucking west brom drew today man, we're back in the bottom 3

Spliffie: I am not saying coke does not have a comedown, and yes price does restrict use for most people, this is what i was getting at when i was talking about usage patterns.

You have stated that you have experienced worse comedowns from coke than a considerable amount of pills (although you didnt specify how much coke and what else you took with it). Cocaine stimulates production of dopamine and temporarily prevents reuptake, which then results in accelerated reuptake which causes a comedown. Because this differs from the effect of serotonin which E has, it is reasonable to state that not everyone will agree with you. Physiological differences may mean for you, a coke comedown is worse than most of the E comedowns you have experienced, however this wont be true for everyone.

One of the reasons for the rise of cocaine use over the last 5-6 years has been the fall away of E. There is not the massive E culture that there was in 1995, or even in 1998. Cocaine has not replaced this in the same model, although some do favour it over E because it is easier to dose and prevent prolonged comedowns, rather it has rememerged for many at least as something for the weekend and special occasions (like a bottle of champagne).

Cocaine's use has left a great number of people percieving it on occasion as less harmful and harsh on the comedown than pills. Just because it may produce comparable effects in experience does not mean that these come about via the same means or physiological processes. They are comparable by relative and subjective experience only, much like people describe pain in relation to other painful experiences.

At the moment the bottom line seems to be that there are a large group of people flirting with a potentially extremely addictive drug that has different barriers to use than E. Where for many E use could not be sustained over long periods regularly (talking about every day or a considerable number of times a week), cocaine's barriers to use are financial. What stops people munching beans everyday will not neccessarliy do for coke, if you had the money and disposition it is demonstrably far more habit forming than E.
  • Options
    For me there is no pressure from my group of friends, those who do coke keep it very quite, they probably don't know I know they do it. I'd say the pressure for me is from inside the more I read about it, the more i see it as less harmful as i first percieved it. The only catch for is how addictive it is.
  • Options
    this is the big mistake with drug education in this country. When you start educating yourself and finding out that not everyone who touches drugs dies, ends up in prison or as a junky, you start (or at least i did) to think that certain things arent as harmful as you first thought.

Just remember that 'Cocaine KILLS' is not as snappy a headline as 'Cocaine has addictive properties, is a coagulant and thickens the blood but also increases heart rate and pulpitations. If you have an undiagonsed heart problem you dont know about or a history of cardio-vascular illness in the family then its probably best that you dont engage in taking cocaine because this is the instant in which it may actually kill you in the immediate sense.

Cocaine's major problem is that it is so very geared toward repeated use. Whereas E or cannabis to a certain degree can be experienced through the consumption of one joint or one pill (or dose if you like) cocaine lends itself to repeated use even on your first session. You do a line, 30 mins later you're back to square one and if you've got a gram on you then you are going to do that again because, its face it, no one (or very few people i should say) is really going to consider 30mins a decent experience.

You say you wont have problems with peer pressure mate, but the problem with your logic here is that you arent in those circles yet (you even went as far as to say you dont think they know that you have knowledge of their use) so how could you possibly know. Peer pressure is a buzz word and it doesnt mean 'Oh go on have another you know you want to' it is the simple and reasonable situation in which someone says 'Im gonna get a bag in, do you want in on it'. The point is if you are moving in circle where use of this drug is widespread then the contact points and potential times for use are going to increase. The same could be said of Marijuana except you are increasing contact with a considerably more addictive, harmful, habit forming and frankly illegal substance.

Im not sure how old you are but it you are under 17 and you get caught with it, you are in quite serious trouble and more so than if you had a few E's on you. You might (or might not) get off with a caution but they wont be so dismissive when they ask you where it came from and you say 'No comment', a 16-17 year old with a bag of coke and they will want to know where it came from.

If you are doing your exams now, at least leave it alone until after. take care of yourself mate.
  • Options
    Depends on you really, one of my mates tried and prolly around a month and now each time we go out shes got to get some. Ain't good for her.
  • Options
    well it certainly does depend alot on the individual, but cocaine is particularly bad one for dependancy.

Oh and for your freind who gets it every time she goes out of it she might want to know of what it is thought cocaine does with repeated use and how it changes the brain of the user.

Cocaine use changes the production of reward sensations and dopamine, research suggests that this (see it here ) effect can over time reduce the production of reward sensation for things like food, excercise and even sex. This suggests that addiction develops as the brain loses interest in other things and concentrates on cocaine and also frighteningly it is suggested that single exposure to cocaine creates a week-long 'Window' of receptivity to the drug.

This is the really scarey stuff about cocaine....apart from the people who are importing and distributing it...remember kids, every bag of coke down the line goes to fund mass murder and horrible civil war. From the streets of England to the jungles of Peru, for every Cha-Ching theres a bigger ka-boom.
  • Options
    A coke or crack comedown leaves me clucking for more where as a com edown from pills doesn't leave me wanting more pills.

It is far easier to abuse coke or crack.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    GINGA wrote:
    I have been craving coke for a while now and have decided I better get round to trying it before I'm in the middle of my exams.

I really wouldn't reccomend it. The problem with coke is that once you've done it a couple of times it's very difficult to say no to when you have the opportunity to do it again. Assuming you're a student I can tell you from personal experience that even a very occasional habit can skew your finances in a big way. Anyway it really isn't that mind blowing or exiting in the same way first times on pills or booze are, a lot of people find it to be a dissapointment their first time.

The comedowns aren't particularly bad until you graduate to heavier use which is part of the insidious nature of the drug. It will however make you think you can drink more than you can which can result in untold hangovers. Also has the nasty catch that if the coke wears off before you get home the booze all kicks in and you end up dangerously out of it.
  • Options
    Im 18 going on 19. I overheard a couple of my mates talking in the pub one night. The information about the window is very interesting as well as the dis-satisfaction of the 30 minute experience. That probably holds very true for people, after spending all that cash and for it to only last 30min. You are most certainly right about the increased contact point.

You have all brought up some really good points for me to think about, espicially you Martin_Bashir, Thanks.

ps. Martin you are very wise.
  • Options
    I think one of the biggest problems with cocaine is its variable affects on people, some just seem very pre-disposed to having problems with it, others just do it and then shrug it off.
  • Options
    Started taking recreational drugs about 2 years. I only use beans when I know it is going to be a big night (club/gig) otherwise I have a bit of coke to keep me going and give me a bit of a buzz. I sometimes have a comedown from coke, but think half of it is just lack of sleep. Last time I had beans (only 2 of them) didn't have a comedown at all. I'm into my festivals so get completely mashed for 3 days at Reading and Glastonbury. Takes me 2-3 days to recover from these. Last Glasto was SOOO spaced out for 2 days after.
  • Options

Cocaine's major problem is that it is so very geared toward repeated use. Whereas E or cannabis to a certain degree can be experienced through the consumption of one joint or one pill (or dose if you like) cocaine lends itself to repeated use even on your first session. You do a line, 30 mins later you're back to square one and if you've got a gram on you then you are going to do that again because, its face it, no one (or very few people i should say) is really going to consider 30mins a decent experience.

A gram of average coke will generally result in a shorter session than a few pills will, which are of course a fraction of the price. Likewise with amphetamine etc.

Unless you're a dealer or a millionaire, there really isn't much scope for an average user to head towards addiction.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Still even with great coke it's not a very strong buzz as such. Crack is much better.

Real cocaine will blow your fucking head off.

As for crack, I don't see the point really, a gram of good cocaine will last you well over 5 hours (if you're being conservative) and does the trick more than adequately.
  • Options
    spliffie you are slightly missing the point of my posts, and im not sure what your last comment on my post was adding (unless you were just elaborating i guess).

As i have stated before cocaine has the potential for less barriers to repeated use than pills seem to in many cases. You are making the grave assumption that everyone stops when they run out of money.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Unless you're a dealer or a millionaire, there really isn't much scope for an average user to head towards addiction.

Bollox.

Thats total and complete rubbish.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Bollox.

Thats total and complete rubbish.
    :yes: Seconded. Completely untrue.
This discussion has been closed.