Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Fancy a career in radio?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if I can help but I'm a producer for a commercial radio station and co-presenter too. If anyone is hoping to get in to this field of the media then I'll gladly offer any help or advice :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd love to be a DJ one day lol, aint got a clue if i'm any good yet cos i aint got my decks yet, not a radio DJ but a club type DJ but i suppose thats kinda drifting away from what your asking.

Its a dream of mine to play in front of a crowd of people, banging some tunes out lol :).
    Any kind of public performance will help you there. Ebay is a good place to look for second hand equipment ;)
    a radio DJ- thats something ive always dreamt of...dont think itll ever happen though. im moving to england and the fact that i have a hard-to -understand california accent would make it super hard to get a job...oh well.
    Tullia wrote:
    a radio DJ- thats something ive always dreamt of...dont think itll ever happen though. im moving to england and the fact that i have a hard-to -understand california accent would make it super hard to get a job...oh well.

Anything which makes you different from the next person is an advantage. True you'd probably have to modify your accent but if you put 10 Brits in a room with one american I can tell you who will stand out immediately as soon as they started talking.

Hospital radio is a great place to start but when you apply they normally ask you why you want to join. Telling them you have aspirations to make it a career is not the way and some will even refuse you on those grounds as they will want you to be committed to the charity, so be careful on the application form.
    This is really useful. I've been considering a career in radio since starting work on my local university's radio station - I work on a rock show there every couple of weeks, at the moment I'm kind of behind the scenes researching music news, charts and local upcoming gigs for the presenters to read out on the show but they've asked me to start doing album reviews and reading them out myself (scary). Do you think this would be a good way in? How long do you think I would have to do this for on a voluntary basis before maybe approaching commercial radio stations for work?

As for accents I would have to say I agree that they're an advantage...one of the girls who presents on the rock show is Irish and her voice gets loads of positive comments from listeners...plus, look at Zane Lowe...he has a strong accent and he's doing pretty well on Radio 1.