Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

does JSA look bad on record

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am thinking about claiming JSA but my dad says it is not worth it and it
looks bad on your record and i should just apply for jobs and forget about it
do u think jsa looks bad on your record or with employers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you mean by record?

A long gap in your employment history with no explanation looks bad regardless of whether you were claiming jobseekers or not.

Most people have periods where they are not working, and they still need money to live, unless they are fortunate enough to be supported by their family or partner.

If you don't need the money then why bother?
    You should sign on if you can. If you don't sign on and get a gap then you may have a pain in the ass if any future emloyer wants to know what you were doing.
    Claiming JSA is actually a good way of explaining employment gaps, tbh. It means you have a verifiable employment record- you officially weren't- and it means that employers can see that you weren't spending your time fucking about doing nothing.

Everyone has periods of unemployment, all employers want to know is that you were trying to do something about it, and a JSA claim proves this (your employer can get a reference from JCP for it).

Unless you get stuck on it for years that it is better not worse to claim JSA. Your dad is talking bottom.
    It can also help with keeping your records with NI and tax etc up to date, also once your in the system, they can give you a lot of help getting into the job you want. Its also worth noting that its quite a long proces getting on there so you need to do it quick or expect some time without money