Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

coming off dianette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As a teenage I had bad acne. I took roaccutane, and then dianette, which I have been taking for over 4 years. I no longer have acne, just a few old scars :( and the odd spot.

I've recently (around 6 weeks ago) come off it. I'm a little worried that the acne may return. Is this possible despite the fact that I'm now 23? It really made my life a complete misery for several years and I can't cope with it now, especially considering that I will be job hunting for my first serious job soon.

Any ideas/experiences?

Comments

• Options
    I recently come off Dianette and I can say that my skin isnt as clearer but it isnt as bad as it was. Been off since january too.
  • Options
    Help!!!!

I would really like to come off Dianette, I have been on this pill for nearly three years and my skin cleared up beatifully but I am very scared of possible side effects so I am considering coming off Dianette..

Would you advise a sensible way to come off this pill? or any alternative pills? :nervous:

Agonising Lillly
  • Options
    change of pill

I came of dianette two months ago after being on it for five years...I was also worried about my spots coming back but my skin had remained clear so far so I wouldn't worry. Dianette is too strong a pill to remain on anyway best to come off it and try something else.

I have a question for you: did you switch on to another pill because I did, my first period after the first pack of the new pill was normal slightly lighter but normal. At the end of last week I finished my second pack.. came on, on Monday but my period was darker than usual allmost dark brown and thick but not heavy... did you or anyone else go through this colour change?
  • Options
    can i ask how long it took for your acne to clear when you first started dianette? sorry to change the subject but i have been on it for 5 months and although there has been improvment, im still not clear :crying:
  • Options
    In_ya_face wrote:
    can i ask how long it took for your acne to clear when you first started dianette? sorry to change the subject but i have been on it for 5 months and although there has been improvment, im still not clear :crying:
    Stick with it!!
    I've been on Dianette for 8 months - my skin was SO bad before I started taking it, it made me so miserable. I'd say it took about 6 months, maybe a little longer, for it to clear up. Right now I still get the occassional [small] spot but I'm practically clear.

Really scared it'll all come back when I stop taking it though!
  • Options
    still spotty
    rubbersoul wrote:
    Stick with it!!
    I've been on Dianette for 8 months - my skin was SO bad before I started taking it, it made me so miserable. I'd say it took about 6 months, maybe a little longer, for it to clear up. Right now I still get the occassional [small] spot but I'm practically clear.

Really scared it'll all come back when I stop taking it though!

hi, i was on dianette for 8 years cos i suffered from bad acne. my doctor decided to take me off it (nice one) because of the 'risks' i went onto microgynon for 3 months and almost immediately my skin got worse. i went back, he put me back on dianette, but my skin is still really bad. its been 2 months - do you think i should still wait longer? i can't remember how long it took last time- it was so long ago! also i hear that they might withdraw it from the market - if they do i think i'll die. or become a recluse. it makes me so depressed having acne. i'm 23 now - too old! help!
  • Options
    Coming off dianette

I came off this two months ago and my spots are returning but not as bad as they were!

I was on Dianette for 8 years when my doc suddenly announces - oh - you need to come off that as it could cause liver damage - great I thought - why didn't they say something sooner.

Now, after the 1st pack, i have had no period, after the second, still nothing....i did a preg test which was negative.... all very strange. I must go back to the docs. I have a few stomachy cramps too
  • Options
    Coming Off Dianette

I've been taking Dianette for over 10 years. Initially for acne and now for contraceptive (I'm 29 now). I recently read that I will now be unable to concieve without going on other hormone replacement pills as Dianette alters your whole metabolism. Has anyone else heard of this and if so what pills did they have to take in order to become pregnant. Looking forward to some replies. Going to my GP on Tuesday to find out exactly what this tablet has done to my body.
  • Options
    I've been on dianette for about 4 years now and the doctor did take me off it at christmas and put me on cilest. That was a nightmare, I was in massive pain, I bled lots and I had the worst possible mood swings. He put me back on dianette after 2 packets of cilest. Dianette is a miracle pill for me, I have virtually no period pain, my skin cleared up a lot and it makes my life so much easier.

I've never heard of any of these side effects that you're talking about. When I asked my GP if it was safe to be on it for longer he said that he thought the reason it's supposed to be a short term solution is cos the manifacturors hadn't applied for a long term license or something like that. Anyone know anything else about it?
  • Options
    Coming off dianette

I have been off Dianette for three months now and my spots have come back with a vengeance (I was on it for 7 years) I went back to the docs and she reluctantly gave me a prescription for Dianette for three months again as I was persistant. She wasn't happy though and said I must try and change after that. My skin is awful now, my face is so greasy and spots have appeared on my back which were never there - even before i took dianette.

I asked her what the risks were and she said, that dianette is more likely to cause blood clots than other pills, she said it would not alter fertility. I then looked for research on the pill and it all seems pretty up in the air in terms of whether this is true or not. If it is true, it only seems than there is an extra 10 or so people out of 100000 who get a clot on dianette than other pills, which is quite small - and I am sure that the risk of blood clots would also be dependent on other lifestyle factors such as weight and whether you smoke etc.

I asked about Yasmin and she said that this wasn't well tested and results were not positive in terms of clearing skin? Which seems different from what people who take it are saying? Any views those on yasmin?

I think I will take my three months supply and go back and speak to another doc. I have taken some pix of my skin now and then i will do an after shot.....
  • Options
    I was on Dianette for about 8 years and went off it last summer as I was worried about being on it for so long. I had really bad acne on my back more so than anywhere else and it cleared it up more or less completely for all the time I was on it. But unfortulately the acne came back and is as bad as ever, Im 25 and still feel like I'm going through flipping puberty :( Also my periods got really really bad again and they used to be bad before I was on Dianette, basically back to square one! I went back on it again a few weeks ago, despite health risks and that, Id rather take the risk than be covered in spots and dying with a period from hell!

Does anybody know if Dianette can cause depression or mood swings? I have been particularly moody since i went back on it, not sure what to think.. :confused:
  • Options
    Not sure - I was really depressed on microgynon, but am not sure whether that was because all the spots were coming back and I was getting miserable about it.

I'm 27 and couldn't believe it when my spots came back with a vengeance. I even have them on my chest which I have never had before. I hate it - it isn't fair!!
  • Options
    I think i'll just put it down the the hormone changes giving me the mood swings, hopefully I will settle down after a few months back on it.

Yeah I also got the spots on my chest which I havn't had before, what a nightmare! Cant wear any sort of lowcut tops or anything, I just feel like I'm covering myself up all the time, its really limiting my choice of clothes to wear, I dont know what I'm gonna do now summer is on the way, just hope and pray the dianette starts working fast :nervous:
  • Options
    Likewise! I think we will just have to look like saddos in the summer with Polo Necks on!

Lets just hope Dianette kicks in quickly!

Lucy
    xx
  • Options
    Hi hows you i have been on dianette of and on now for 10 years, every time i come of it within 2-3 months my skin flairs up with acne (this has happened 3 times).

The last time i came of it was 2 years ago so i went and got my skin lasered and it cleared my skin up brilliantly but at the same time i went back on to diannete.

I have just came of diannete again and I am going to try my hardest to stay of it even once the acne comes im just going to go and get the laser treatment as soon as i feel my skin changing and fingers crossed it works. The doctor at the clinic told me that she was treating patients who were in their forties who had never had acne until they also came of dianette then their skin flared up.

Try the laser treatment, I would strongly recommend it. goodluck!

chantille wrote: »
    hi, i was on dianette for 8 years cos i suffered from bad acne. my doctor decided to take me off it (nice one) because of the 'risks' i went onto microgynon for 3 months and almost immediately my skin got worse. i went back, he put me back on dianette, but my skin is still really bad. its been 2 months - do you think i should still wait longer? i can't remember how long it took last time- it was so long ago! also i hear that they might withdraw it from the market - if they do i think i'll die. or become a recluse. it makes me so depressed having acne. i'm 23 now - too old! help!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Hi there. this thread is two years old, the original poster is unlikely to still be looking for help.
  • Options
    **IMPORTANT DIANETTE WARNING please read...

Hi, after reading everyones comments on Dianette I felt I had to warn anyone who is reading this or thinking about taking Dianette because of their bad skin.

I was put on Dianette by my doctor at 13 because of my acne and really bad period pains. I stayed on it for 6 years and last year because i read up on a load of information about taking the pill i decided to come off it.

My skin at this point was perfect, no spots and the period pains had basically vanished, I had no PMT and i thought Dianette was great.

After about 1 month of coming off of it my skin flared up so bad i didnt want to leave the house! I was 19 at the time and felt like a spotty teenager again. The period pains came back and my skin was really really greasy, I also had spots on my back which weren't there before.

I decided to not go back on Dianette or any other pill/medication for my skin as i wanted it to clear up naturally. What i should have let my body do for itself when i was 13.

Months passed and my skin got worse, then abit better and then worse again. I was having the worse mood swings and PMT EVER, i was driving myself and my boyfriend crazy! I also lost 2 stone which since i haven't put back on.

I am now 20 and have been off Dianette for over a year. My skin is still terrible. No matter how much water i drink, healthy food i eat etc, they won't go. My skin is still greasy and although I'm managing to deal with the mood swings/PMT abit better they're still there.

I am not sure when my skin will finally clear up but my body does feel like it is beginning to regulate itself better. Dianette as you will know is the strongest pill on the market and i would highly advise if you are thinking of going on it, don't. It causes nothing but problems when you come off of it. And if you're reading this now and are on it, then come off of it as soon as you can to avoid acne/teenage problems later on in life! I wish i had come off of it sooner as my skin is older now and not able to heal as quickly as it would have done if i was younger.

I know it's really horrible having acne later on in life but i've heard of late 20's/30 year olds having the same problems because they weren't strong enough to keep off of it long enough. Stick with it! The spots will clear up eventually!

Skin should be allowed to clear up naturally, without dianette or any other medication. Doctors very often have no idea what they are talking about and get paid for prescribing new drugs in or the ones from the companies with the most money. Taking Dianette will only supress your spots and once you stop taking it they will come back only worse, since you're body has been trying to force out these hormones for however long you have been on it!

Good luck to everyone coming off of it :wave:
  • Options
    **IMPORTANT DIANETTE WARNING please read...

Hi, after reading everyones comments on Dianette I felt I had to warn anyone who is reading this or thinking about taking Dianette because of their bad skin.

I was put on Dianette by my doctor at 13 because of my acne and really bad period pains. I stayed on it for 6 years and last year because i read up on a load of information about taking the pill i decided to come off it.

My skin at this point was perfect, no spots and the period pains had basically vanished, I had no PMT and i thought Dianette was great.

After about 1 month of coming off of it my skin flared up so bad i didnt want to leave the house! I was 19 at the time and felt like a spotty teenager again. The period pains came back and my skin was really really greasy, I also had spots on my back which weren't there before.

I decided to not go back on Dianette or any other pill/medication for my skin as i wanted it to clear up naturally. What i should have let my body do for itself when i was 13.

Months passed and my skin got worse, then abit better and then worse again. I was having the worse mood swings and PMT EVER, i was driving myself and my boyfriend crazy! I also lost 2 stone which since i haven't put back on.

I am now 20 and have been off Dianette for over a year. My skin is still terrible. No matter how much water i drink, healthy food i eat etc, they won't go. My skin is still greasy and although I'm managing to deal with the mood swings/PMT abit better they're still there.

I am not sure when my skin will finally clear up but my body does feel like it is beginning to regulate itself better. Dianette as you will know is the strongest pill on the market and i would highly advise if you are thinking of going on it, don't. It causes nothing but problems when you come off of it. And if you're reading this now and are on it, then come off of it as soon as you can to avoid acne/teenage problems later on in life! I wish i had come off of it sooner as my skin is older now and not able to heal as quickly as it would have done if i was younger.

I know it's really horrible having acne later on in life but i've heard of late 20's/30 year olds having the same problems because they weren't strong enough to keep off of it long enough. Stick with it! The spots will clear up eventually!

Skin should be allowed to clear up naturally, without dianette or any other medication. Doctors very often have no idea what they are talking about and get paid for prescribing new drugs in or the ones from the companies with the most money. Taking Dianette will only supress your spots and once you stop taking it they will come back only worse, since you're body has been trying to force out these hormones for however long you have been on it!

Good luck to everyone coming off of it :wave:
  • Options
    I'm surprised that a zits thread has neared 30 posts and no one have mentioned minocin yet. I was on that from 1994 (age 16) to 1998 (age 20) then went cold turkey. The minocin worked a treat, the zits never came back when I let go and there were no side effects.

Bear in mind that I tried the Oxycan and Clearisol ranges which didn't work for me, but the minocin pills did the trick.
  • Options
    Do you get Minisin over the counter or prescribed?
  • Options
    Minocin is prescribed. I assumed that dianette was also, as we're not comparing the likes of Oxycan or Clearisil.
  • Options
    It's just that I never had it mentioned to I was put on Dianette after I had tried topical medication and shop bought stuff.
  • Options
    I'm on dianette and it works a treat, the last time I had a routine check-up the nurse hinted that it might be worth coming off soon. Bit worried now after reading this thread :nervous: I was on microgyen or whatever it is called, for 6 years and have now been on dianette for about a year. Didn't know there was anything else you could take instead of dianette, the only alternative I was offered was something which I can't remember the name of, but the doctor wasn't happy to put me on it as she said it caused loads of teen suicides in wales or summit :eek2:
  • Options