Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

vegan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
would you ever consider adopting a vegan lifestyle?

i've been thinking about it a lot, and i have tried it in the past... but it was really difficult to maintain. i have tried quite a few odd things with food though tbh. but i do kind of like the ethics of veganism.

i just want to get some views on this... :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went veggie about 13 years ago.....that was easy. I tried being a vegan and that was too hard - I would love to be though
    Veganism is terrible, I know a vegan and she is constantly tired and thin - her face is always as white as a sheet. We are supposed to have an omnivourous diet, i.e. meat and vegetables - simply for our body to maintain itself at an optimum level. Cutting out EVERYTHING that is from an animal. No cakes, dairy, meat, eggs etc etc Simply a terrible diet!!!

I suggest you read as much as you can and make your decision wisely, if you must why not try a vegetarian lifestyle.
    Tbh I don't think I could manage without dairy..but I guess after a while you would adapt and get used to it all. My friend went vegan for lent, I saw what she was eating and some of it looked pretty dull. I couldnt live without bread-I love sandwiches too much!
    I couldnt live without bread-I love sandwiches too much!
    why couldn't you have bread :confused:
    otter wrote:
    why couldn't you have bread :confused:

Please don't say it is because the flour is from a plant and the plant is a living thing!!!! :razz:
    What's the point? It's not gonna change anything.

It's too hard to remember everything you couldn't eat anyway. Then you have to take all of the supplements. What a pain, and for what really?
    I like the ethics of veganism, but not the diet.
    Ill stick with vegetarianism I think.
    hi! im vegan...welll im what they call a "raw-foodist"...but thats just another form of veganism, ive gathered some links for you. i hope it helps...

~this is a BBC news article on eating raw, but it has some links on the right-hand side on vegatarian and vegan eating---
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4389837.stm

~this is a great site that will send you a free "vegetarian"starter kit ( it says vegetarian but really its vegan)---
    http://www.vegetarianstarterkit.com/index.asp

for reasons to choose the vegan lifestyle you can go to the site- www.meetyourmeat.com

hope i helped! good luck!
    my mum is a vegan and she looks far more helathy than any other of my friends mums. there is so much yummy vegan food out there - its a common misconception that vegans eat nothing and are unhealthy
    vegetarian yes, vegan no. I mean come on, no pizza's!?!
    beans wrote:
    vegetarian yes, vegan no. I mean come on, no pizza's!?!

You can get vegan cheese.
    It's not that bad actually.
    i think i probably would be as all the goodies you need from meat etc can be found other places like nuts, however i love a big fat juicy steak too much
    i think i probably would be as all the goodies you need from meat etc can be found other places like nuts, however i love a big fat juicy steak too much

Zoe likes her meat. ;-D
    Tullia, thanks for those links :)
    and thanks y'all for your replies.

:chin: ...
    Renzo wrote:
    Zoe likes her meat. ;-D
    oh innuendos from a guy who's scared of blow jobs...

(or so i'm told)
    just thought i'd say: i've been vegan for a fair few days now...
    it's not that hard really... (which i thought it would be; but i'm thinking eating out would be though) anyway... i've found loads of alternatives to meat and dairy produce. :yippe: - i rekon i could keep this going!!!
    i feel better for it too. and i'm pleased with myself :)
    ... just figured i'd share. ;)
    sweetened soya milk is 100X nicer than unsweetened.
    you probably know this. I actually like sweetened soya milk better than cows milk (apart from in coffee) They sweeten it with a tiny bit of apple juice.
    sweetened soya milk is 100X nicer than unsweetened.
    you probably know this. I actually like sweetened soya milk better than cows milk (apart from in coffee) They sweeten it with a tiny bit of apple juice.
    i tried rice milk too :yum:
    nice on museli.
    i don't think i'll go back to cows milk - it's :yuck: in comparission.
    i'm enjoying being a vegan. :yippe:
    otter wrote:
    would you ever consider adopting a vegan lifestyle?

i've been thinking about it a lot, and i have tried it in the past... but it was really difficult to maintain. i have tried quite a few odd things with food though tbh. but i do kind of like the ethics of veganism.

i just want to get some views on this... :)

I've just started to consider vegetarianism as a way of life. I don't think i could be a vegan, as i like my dairy. I do try to buy organic dairy products though.
    I quite like rice milk too - quite expensive though. Main problem is, neither rice milk or soya milk is good in coffee unfortunatley, and all those coffee mate type products which used to be vegan, have recently been `improved` with added milk proteins :(
    vegan is very difficult... most become veggie first and then try to make the switch....

going right to vegan is too dramatic a change and very hard to sustain.